5.0 out of 5 stars Wii U Review
Published 4 months ago by T. W. Marshall

2.0 out of 5 stars Teach your kids patience - the hard way!
My son has been saving for one of these for about a year. He's only six and makes his money doing odd jobs around the house or for good news coming home from school, along with generous gifts from family members. Anyway, he finally saved up enough and we went and bought one of these yesterday. So far, I'm wishing we hadn't bothered.

After nearly an hour of...
Published 4 months ago by Neil Goodacre

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii U Review, 21 Aug 2014
T. W. Marshall (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB LEGO City: Undercover Premium Pack - Black (Nintendo Wii U) (Console)
I finally decided to buy a Wii U after sitting on the fence since it's release, with the latest launch of Mario Kart 8 I thought the special edition would make a perfect addition to my collection of Nintendo consoles. This price drop makes it £110 cheaper than the PS4 and a whopping £160 lower than the XB1. Almost 2 years on from it's initial release I think it's time to share my opinions

The console is small in stature and only slightly larger than the Wii, the premium version has a glossy black finish while the basic version is a glossy white. It is considerably smaller than the other next gen systems at about 20% volume of the XB1 + Kinect. Both the Wii U tablet and pro pad are also very well designed, both are built to a very high glossy quality.

You also have to take into consideration that both the PS4 and XB1 are not backward compatible, and the input/output lag of the XB1 obliterates any possibility of using the 'HDMI IN' function for anything other that viewing video. The Wii U however is fully compatible with every Wii game and console accessory which opens it's software library up to well over a thousand games, many of which are considered the best of all time such as Mario Galaxy 1+2, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I paid £475 for my XB1 at launch with a bundled Fifa 14 and a separate copy of Forza 5, in the months since I've never felt so mugged off in all my life... While the PS4 and XB1 are more powerful their game libraries are very poor, even almost 1 year after their releases neither have a game worth buying the console for.

The criticisms of the Wii U always centre on two things:

The lower processing power in relation to XB1/PS4, and it's library (or lack of) games. Both of these points I've since discovered are actually false...

The Wii U has less processing power yes, but not a single game has even came close to pushing the hardware. Assassin's Creed 4 is the classic example. The Wii U has a completely different architecture to other systems, this isn't showcasing lower power but rather a lazy conversion which is evident in all the cross format games. Next is the library of games, the Wii U currently has 9 exclusive full release games scoring more than 80% on Metacritic compared to the PS4's 2 (inFamous + The Last of Us) and the XB1's 1 (Titanfall, which is hugely overated).

Next is the online play, Sony and Microsoft has been infested with American, racist, rage kids for the past 10 years and it sours the online experience, you can't go into a pre-game lobby without having some obnoxious child shout abuse at you down the mic. There's entire Youtube channels devoted to abusing gamers and provoking a reaction, such is gaming on MS and Sony machines.

If your not being abused verbally then there's the cheaters using lag switches and aim bots and making it pointless even trying to play online as you have no chance. The absolute worse thing about this is Sony and Microsoft's complete inaction against this even though you're PAYING for online access, chances are if you've played COD online for these systems then you've came across cheaters. This really annoys me as a 12 month XB Live subscription is £40 but MS don't even police their own servers, I stopped my XB Live last year shortly after the XB1 release.

Online access for the Wii U is free, and there is no difference in the speed or availability of servers. In fact when I've been online with Mario Kart 8 I'm almost always instantly put into a pre game lobby.

I bought COD: Ghosts when it was £15 on the Wii U and it was a revelation, first of all you're playing against Nintendo gamers and not rage kids. Pre game lobbies were always filled with mature, like minded gamers who you could chat to and have a joke with, not the typical MS or Sony rage kid.

Second is the cheats, I've put about 20 hours into this and I haven't came across a single cheater, no lag switches or aim bots. The Wii U has restored my faith in online gaming.

At this moment in time the Wii U is the best choice for next gen gaming, it has the better exclusive games currently out and coming in the future, is cheaper and has far better online community which is free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't have one yet? Get one!, 31 Jan 2014
I originally purchased this to give a new lease of life to my unloved wii games, considering it to be a hardware upgrade to something more on par with the ps3/360's capabilities...
My progress on skyward sword remains the same, I have not touched my dead space save, Mario remains in the same spot & princess peach goes on unrescued. It has kept me from my ever growing playstation plus library and my incomplete achievement lists on my 360, my zombie count has ceased counting up in dead rising 3 and my k/d ratio is unchanged in killzone shadowfall...
Lego City Undercover is a complete gaming joy and worth getting the system for, I have not stopped laughing since the first cutscene, plenty in there for gamers of all ages and tastes, never taking itself too seriously whilst offering great level structure & quality gameplay.
What with super Mario 3d world recently out and Mario kart 8 out in may & now being able to play original wii titles on the gamepad thanks to the latest big OS update, you can't pass up on this entirely underrated console. It was so easy to transfer all the data and peripherals from my wii to the wii u, if you have a pre existing catalogue I'd encourage you to just take the plunge and upgrade your hardware. Even If you're an avid gamer without any wii paraphernalia, I'd still encourage you to get it for this PG GTA and the other highly rated titles out there for this system. Ok the library isn’t that extensive and past it’s exclusives, practically non existent, but for the titles that are already there and the potential of this solid platform… 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase for 6 year olds xmas pressie, 2 Feb 2014
I got this for a good price for my 6 year old for xmas. He loves it and has had lots of fun. We also bought skylanders swap force, rayman and super mario 3d. It has wifi and internet but that seems a bit useless as he can't go on iplayer or play games on kids websites like nick jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars get one!, 17 Nov 2014
Everything was awsome! Great product. Fantastic for the younger gamer. Delivery service was second to none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Dec 2014
My 10 year old loves lego & mario so win win!

5.0 out of 5 stars great value. great game., 31 Oct 2013
R. Davis "RoBert Davis" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great bundle and great value for money. Only bad thing is no lego figure which you would would expect from a lego bundle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo a must for all .Great fun., 2 Nov 2013
Bought this as a Christmas present for my 5 year old son.So of course I had to open it and try it to make sure it's all working.So now every time he is at school I play it.The game pad is a super way to play as you can use it in so many ways.The graphics on the games are superb and I think it's a great price to for such a great gaming concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 28 Feb 2014
i brought this product for myself at Christmas, and it blew my mind away, i chose the Lego version over the zombie u version simply because i needed to get used to the controls.

although saying that i also brought the zombie u game at the same time so when i felt confident with the controls i could switch over.

2.0 out of 5 stars Teach your kids patience - the hard way!, 4 Aug 2014
Neil Goodacre - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

After nearly an hour of faffing around before even being able to use the system, including one update, we tried to play the one game that comes bundled with the console. Guess what - it requires a system update before you can play it. Honestly? How can you ship a games console with a game that that console can't even play? That makes no sense to me. The estimated download time for the update varied between one and two hours at the outset. After five hours, and eleven restarts, the system update was complete. "Can we play the game now, daddy?" Nope - it needs to run yet another update.

Now imagine being six years old. Imagine you've just made the biggest financial decision of your life to date. Imagine having to wait six hours for your new toy to upgrade itself to be able to play the game that came packaged with the console!

Frankly, Nintendo, you've lost any goodwill you had with me there. If the eleventh attempt at the download hadn't worked, this would have been returned. Now it is finally working, the system looks quite good and I'm sure my son will enjoy it - when it's not running yet more updates! I know I feel like I just can't be bothered with it now, and will discourage friends with kids from buying one. If Nintendo cannot even be bothered to get the thing ready before they sell it, in my opinion, it's not worth anyone's money.

So that's my review. I'd love to be more positive but honestly, I can't. An unfair review? I don't think so - no more unfair than a book review from someone that found a book so awful they couldn't finish it (and that's a fair review).

In summary, Nintendo have clearly not tested the hardware or the software before trying to sell it to the public and for that reason, I recommend you avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Aug 2014
Great buy, at a bargain price! My son loves this console :)