Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 October 2013
Earlier this year I saw the full version of the Portofino concert at the cinema. Wonderful stuff!

I've been looking out for the DVD ever since, but when this CD/DVD set was announced, it was never fully explained exactly what would be on the DVD. It was only in an article in a Sunday paper on the day before release that there was enough information for me to want to order. It was clear that it would not be the whole of what I had seen in the cinema, but I reckoned that excerpts would be good enough until a full version appears, if it ever does.

I ordered after lunch on that Sunday, and the next morning Amazon Prime delivered it to me.

The CD is certainly good, though the sound quality is perhaps not quite as crystal as I would have wished. No matter. Definitely worth the having, with some gorgeous songs and accompaniments.

The DVD, even if it is an incomplete version of the whole concert, is magical. Watching the sun set on Portofino as Andrea sings is fabulous and I was left at the end feeling I could open the door and walk around the town.

In short, the CD/DVD set is well worth having.
on 2 November 2013
Having seen this wonderful film at the cinema I was very disappointed not only with the quality of the photography (which at the cinema was stunning)but with the fact that half of the concert was missing. I agree with one of the other reviewers that the CD is almost identical to his earlier CD and I only bought this for my husband because of the DVD that came with it. Unfortunately there was a lot of shaking and flickering on the photography which spoilt it for me.
on 22 October 2013
I was aware when I ordered this release that it would not contain the whole of the Portofino concert, but where Andrea Bocelli is concerned half a concert is better than none at all. The performances here are delightful and the setting is stunning. The DVD on its own is worth the price.

Some say that Andrea should stick with the Italian pop ballads that originally made him famous but if he had just continued to produce Romanza style songs in Romanza style arrangements he would soon have been dubbed as a one-track pony; and if he devoted himself solely to opera he would be like a lot of other tenors who spend their whole career producing different combinations of the same arias over and over again. If an artist is as versatile as Andrea and can mould his voice to sing almost any song beautifully, it would be a pity to limit himself to just one category of music. By expanding his repertoire and exploring a great variety of musical genres he attracts and delights a wider audience than most singers, and Love in Portofino does not disappoint!
on 27 October 2013
Like another reviewer I also bought this mainly for the dvd and to be honest, if you already have "Passione" then you don`t really need this cd - the cd had little on it that isn`t on earlier releases. The scenes of Portofino were magical and just made you wish you had been able to see the whole concert. In fact I would have been prepared to pay more just for the entire concert and skipped the cd altogether. Of course Andre sang as well as always but I do have the feeling that David Foster is trying to turn him into an American crooner. So all in all I felt I had been "conned" a bit - I`m sure I will watch the 47 minute dvd again but doubt I will listen to the cd often. The whole thing felt it was neither one thing nor the other and I feel a bit disappointed.
on 25 October 2013
Whilst this cd/dvd package is clearly worth the cover price I can't help but think that in a couple of months time there will be a "deluxe" version out with the full filmed concert from Portofino. Given that Andrea's last cd was only released a short time ago, to me, this "new" recording just seems like a "taster" to get people hooked on the dvd so that they will buy the full version when it comes out, as it will. It's also a very good way of making more money in the process.
on 22 October 2013
I have been to 4 of his concerts and I own all of his CD's and DVD's and I couldn't wait to get this one - what a disappointment! Some of the sound quality is so bad that I thought the actual disc was faulty and I was prepared to return it! And let's face it Andrea is not meant to croon - especially in English. It sounded as if he was trying to emulate Elvis or Perry Como and not succeeding very well. I wish he would stick with what he is best at - classical songs and opera!
on 10 November 2013
Andrea Bocelli is a very special artist. The selection of songs on this CD is excellent, the location for the accompanying DVD is stunningly beautiful, the filming makes you feel like you are really there, and Andrea's voice is mesmerising. The free MP3 download is a nice bonus too. A brilliant package that I will watch and play again and again. Pure magic.
on 8 January 2014
AMAZING Cd and Dvd. Both have beautiful music and the Dvd has some gorgeous scenery too. As for Andre Bocelli - what can I say - he is magic - his voice is so relaxing and a joy to listen to. Will be listening to the Cd and watching the Dvd over and over again. So enjoyable and such a wonderful bargain too.
on 23 October 2013
Very good background music and a change from Andrea Bocelli. Have bought one to give someone for Christmas and think it will be well received.
on 9 November 2013
Not overly enthused by this CD, I have heard better compilation from Bocelli, for me nothing really stands out as special.