5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Any fan of Pixies will know its been a long, long time since they released new material. If you have heard of the Pixies then you will no doubt be familiar with their iconic song style, the fast/slow compositions, the shrieking growling vocals of Frank Black, a unique sound never been equalled, in this reviewers opinion. This however is not Surfer/Pilgrim or Doolittle territory, not because it is 'not worthy', but simply because those albums were over 20 years ago, and every band evolves. As a stand along EP it is great stuff, and will not disappoint die-hard fans nor those with an ear for 'something a bit different'. All 4 tracks are very unique, from the dreamy vibrato of Andro Queen to the hard-rockin' What Goes Boom, and each track has become my favourite at one time or the other. It is probably Indie Cindy that I end up humming to myself the most, with its trademark Black bizzaro lyrics and classic Pixie-esque guitar/bass sound. So, yes it has been worth waiting for, a fine return to form, but more importantly leaves the listener eager for the next release from one of arguably the most important bands of the 20th century.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
This ep turned out better than I expected. I feared it would sound like a Frank Black solo effort - not a bad thing in itself, but lately his alt/country/pub rock was beginning to blur into the same song. This is a new direction with possibly a nod towards the Bossanova era. They've existed longer in their reformed stage than they did before they broke up so it was about time they knuckled down and got into the studio. I'm happy they did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intro (for me) to the band, 26 Jan 2014
graeme (warrington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Having never bought or really heard any Pixies stuff before I tried this out of curiousity.I'm glad I did. 4 brilliantly written pop songs.I love this EP. So much so that I went straight out and got EP2 also.Which is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bright future, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
What a brilliant back catalogue this band have. What's more, after so long they have managed to compile an EP worthy of their past releases. It has certainly surprised me that their quirkyness and solid songwriting is still so good......... This band will have a bright future indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A kick in the a**e for pop, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Pixies return at the right time to show how to make alternative pop. It's a pity there is no new album as yet, maybe personnel changes can settle down and they can get into the studio and give us a real alternative to Simon Cowell's rubbish.

4.0 out of 5 stars EP1 Pixies, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Bought to ensure I was upto speed before seeing them live in concert, a hit and miss afair with Indy Cindy the highlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Play on repeat. Classic pixies., 30 Nov 2013
Annika "funkymunky89" (Enniskillen, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
If you like the pixies do not delay like I did - buy this now and immerse yourself in the beautiful melodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring it on Pilgrim, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Fantastic to hear the Pixies again. The same wild sounds and melodic tunes that we grow up with.
When is a full album due?

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, 6 Nov 2013
M. A. Tams - See all my reviews
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Pixies have given us some great songs on this ep. I want to take each song to bed with me, separately at first then all at the same time on repeat until I finally collapse into a spent husk.

5.0 out of 5 stars What goes boom?, 26 Oct 2013
D. Goodfellow - See all my reviews
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Make some noise. The pixies go boom. That's what.
Fantastic
Love it
So happy they're back.
I hope they follow this with an album.

ARRAY(0xadd1d8e8)