4.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet romance on an earth at war.
Published 15 months ago by JK

Review

Published 4 months ago by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars As your familiarity with the characters grows the book feels like it speeds up and you find yourself bonding with ..., 28 Aug 2014
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Review

This book forms part of my objective for this year to "Step out of my reading comfort zone" Conquest is the first book in a new series and as any first book in a series it's main objective is to set the scene, introduce the characters and explain the history. For that reason i feel it come across somewhat slow at the start, and with a significant amount of info dump. As your familiarity with the characters grows the book feels like it speeds up and you find yourself bonding with various characters, and immersing in the world being created.

If im 100% honest this first book has a feel of teen drama rather than a grown up book, and that's not too derogatory, because there are many great YA series out there that show a great deal of maturity in the writing, but are geared to a younger audience, and some that are multi spectrum, this one just feels geared to the Younger audience rather than "ald fellas" like me, but its also one that shows a great deal of promise.

That said Conquest builds to a finale that leaves the story wide open for a sequel and I will certainly read the next in the series.

(Parm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet romance on an earth at war., 27 Sep 2013
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first part of a trilogy and the book that sets the scene for what's to come. The basic idea behind the plot is that earth has been invaded by the Illyri. A powerful alien race who won't turn away from destroying everything, and everyone, who gets in their way. Obviously the people of earth aren't happy about this conquest and pockets of rebellion are building up into a series of battles between the two races. Chances are a full blown war is on it's way. In the middle of the plot is a nicely worked romance along the lines of Romeo and Juliet. A girl from the Illyri and a boy from earth are slowing drawn together though both know any relationship like theirs is forbidden. The love story doesn't take over the plot but it does add some bitter sweetness as a contrast to the darkness of war and civil unrest. I can't really say anymore without giving anything away.

'Conquest' did take some getting into, there's a lot of information to take in, and ends in a way that's wide open and leaves you wanting more. It's a good dystopian novel for this market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Conquest (Chronicles of the Invaders Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Conquest was the first book I won on Goodreads, and I was so stupidly happy to start reading it. I'm not going to lie, I had completely forgot not only about entering the contest but what the book was about, but after a quick re-read of the summary I was looking forward to it. Then I started it, and I'll be honest with you, I didn't really click with it straight away. This book is nearly 500 pages, and for the first 100 pages I was close to putting it down and forgetting about it. However in the summary on goodreads it's regarded as a book for fans of THE 5TH WAVE and I AM NUMBER FOUR. Now I haven't read the Lorien Legacies but I do happen to be a big fan of The 5th Wave, so I thought I would give the book the benefit of the doubt and carry on with it. Well low and behold soon after contemplating it in my DNF pile, I became hooked.

Though this book has been compared to The 5th Wave, the one big difference you have between the two is one is about a young girls survival in a world that's recently been invaded by alien, while this book we get to see it mainly from the aliens having the majority of the dialogue coming from the Illyri which is really refreshing. As far as character's in the book go we have a lot of interesting one's but the one's that will stick in your mind the most for obvious reason's is the 16 year old Syl, the only child of the new ruler of earth and Paul, not only a human but also part of the resistance. Both characters, as well as the rest, are not only well written but relatable at times no matter the race.

I think as much as I love the characters, and I do, the one thing that took my break away about this book was the world they had built. Set in Edinburgh, we have the lovely Scottish highland and castles, one of which Syl lives in, nothing is left to the imagination, they set a picture in your mind perfectly and it sticks with you for a long time. Aside from that, the relationships in the story are so believable and slow building, you enjoy it , you feel along with the characters and in the end it leaves you wanting more. The best type of relationships always do.

Though this book written by the new comer, Jennifer Ridyard and name that people around the YA community have heard at lest once, John Connolly (author of The Book of Lost Things) is in the YA genre, it more than your typical book aimed for younger people. It has mature themes (not content, it's pretty straight and narrow), the authors don't try to treat you like children by dumbing things down and overall it's just a really lovely, unique SCI FI book that could be enjoyed by people of all ages.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STARS, 7 Sep 2014
Full of action, conspiracies and treason, this novel will have you holding your breath. I am quite a fan of the cover, it is not over-the-top but yet captures your attention as it shines; I am also pleased they didn't include their whole faces!

The Illyri have taken over the Earth, and they will kill anything in their way. However, as the Resistance becomes more ruthless and the Illyri become more agitated, rules are lifted to expose the weaknesses in all. (The least you know the better!)

This novel shifted swiftly and easily from numerous perspectives, though our main protagonist was Syl. She was strong and intelligent. She always put others before herself even when it would put her in the same danger. She had good instinct and though she was not a physical fighter, she was a fighter in her own way. I enjoyed seeing the perspective from Meia who is a spy, she was intuitive and flawless; a brilliantly mysterious background character. What I was pleased about from this novel was the romance did not take over the main plot; it was more in the background; it was a sweet love interest.

To begin with, this novel takes a while to get into. I felt it was mainly due to all the information you were bombard with, to remember who was who and what happened when was hard to figure out during the beginning as you were immersed into a completely new world. This is a novel that you definitely have to stick to, and may take you a little while to read… it took me seventeen days to read!
Alongside this I felt there were some scenes that could have been taken out as I just got a little bored whilst reading them.

However, please do not let this put you off. It is certainly a carefully planned novel that is definitely full of action. The action and raging war between the Illyri and the Resistance in this novel is certainly dark but will simply captivate you to finish reading the scene; both are incredibly interesting to learn about. There is true emotion from all our characters, and the lengths they will go to to protect those they love, but also humanity.

This is an action-packed novel that drags you into a world were humanity is at its weakest.

*Received from Publisher in exchange for an honest review*

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 Sep 2014
I give it - 5/5

My review - I haven't read many books which have been written by two authors so I thought I would give this a go.

It was superb! John and Jennifer really work well together in writing The Conquest that I now need the next book in the series.

What really intrigued me about this story is about the alien invasion. I love aliens so this was right up my street and they both wrote it in such a fantastic way it made me feel like I was part of the story. I love that even though it's set on Earth they still have the fantasy feel to it and like I've said in another review about how much time it must take a writer to come up with the names, descriptions and just everything I really applaud them on it and John and Jennifer did an amazing job with their characters and character development in the story.

The chapters are about different characters and what's going on with them or what's going to happen and that's what I love in a story. That you're not waiting for ages to see what is going on with a character.

Like I said, John and Jennifer worked so well together in writing this story. They both have brilliant writing techniques in which they've brought together in writing this superb story.

If you're a fan of both authors or just looking for a Sci-Fi read this is the story for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their lives become intertwined and Syl and Ani find themselves ripped from their comfortable existence and unsure who the enemy, 10 Sep 2014
Fiona Millar "cookiemum" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Conquest is set in a world where humans have been conquered by an alien race, the Illyri. Syl, daughter of the Illyri governor lives in Edinburgh Castle, but is curious about the world her people have taken control over. On a secret trip out to the Royal Mile, she and her friend Ani find their lives changed forever when they fall into the path of Paul and Steven, two young members of the Resistance movement which is determined to fight back. Their lives become intertwined and Syl and Ani find themselves ripped from their comfortable existence and unsure who the enemy actually is.

This story is not told from one viewpoint, we are given the viewpoint of several different characters throughout, which was an approach I liked - it allows the reader to know things which some characters don't, and helps to ramp up the tension. It's certainly not a predictable book, with a couple of plot turns which are genuinely exciting and interesting. The characters are well written and likeable, and the story one which I really got into and had to keep picking up to read more when I should have been doing other things! Definitely recommended for fantasy fans, and I'll be looking forward to the next instalment.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good YA story..., 13 Dec 2013
Stella (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This had all the hallmarks of being right up my street. Alien invasion the world over but mostly set on UK soil, a little romance, adventure and some mystery. Sounds good. Best of all it's set in and around Edinburgh which is right on my doorstep so I was really looking forward to this one.

I'm left at the end feeling a bit disappointed though, if I'm honest. There's a great story in there somewhere and it did have it's moments but I just wasn't that moved by any of it. There was a lot of 'telling' me instead of 'showing' me. Lots and lots of telling. I just wasn't drawn into the story and that's a shame because it's not often that a book like this comes along and is set in Scotland. I thought for sure the sheer novelty value of the setting would be a shoe-in for me, but sadly it wasn't to be. I feel like I'm missing the point somewhere as lots of people seem to love this one. I'm frustrated, I wanted to love it but it just didn't work out that way. Ah well, there's no accounting for taste I suppose. Nice enough story, just wasn't for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Connolly Conquest, 11 Nov 2013
Having read all of Connolly's previous works, I was apprehensive that this change of direction would not be 'his thing'. Consequently, I was pleasantly surprised by this Iain M Banks meets Frank Herbert opening gambit in the Chronicles of the Invaders - can't wait for the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong start to a series, 27 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not very familiar with this genre (young adult science fiction) nor have I read the books it is being compared to.

That said, this book is very well written and easy to read even though the plot is quite complex. It is predominantly written from the alien perspective, which I found unusual and interesting.

The basic premise is strong and introduced very effectively in the first chapter. I will not go into any detail as the blurb (and some of the other reviews) provide more than enough detail about the premise and the protagonists. Clearly the first book of a series: this is a good start and I expect to read the other books.

If I can persuade my teenage son to overlook the relatively small typeface I am confident he will enjoy it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is fun as long as you can switch your brain off, 20 Dec 2014
V. Nicholl (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is fun as long as you can switch your brain off, but unfortunately there are too many holes for me to do that so I won't be back for book 2. I like the concept, and I think there is some good imagination when it comes to how humanity would react to being conquered, but when the author talks about the invading aliens wanting a variety of substances including water (one of the most common substances in the universe) and makes such sweeping generalisations about factions in the alien race (surely they would be just as complex as humanity) the world-building falls down. As long as you are looking for the drama then this will do very nicely, but if you want a bit more depth I would avoid.