on 20 June 2014
Being an Anglophile I was attracted to this series after watching Season 1 on Netflix. It was sad to discover that there would not be a Season 3. Production quality was excellent. I enjoyed the character development of the main characters, as well as costumes and sets. Great Britain produces many high quality programs, and this is definitely one of them. Victorian period dramas afford us an opportunity to escape into yesteryear. We see in this series how a country girl (Denise) arrives in town expecting to work in her uncle's haberdashery shop, only to find that things are currently not in the best financial shape because of competition from a large department store directly across the street. Reminds me of what happened when Walmart came into town--so many small businesses eventually closed.

This main female character (Denise - heroine) takes a job in this large department store, where the storyline really begins to develop. Her abilities attracts the owner (Moray - the hero), and we see how Denise progresses in her job responsibilities, as well as the development of her relationships with other employees at the store,. Two of the supporting characters Arthur & Sam provide humor to the story line. We also see the character Kathryn (the protagonist) who provides the grist between Moray, Denise & herself. Kathryn is pushing to marry Moray, even though what we see developing is the growing affection between Denise and Moray. There is a nice flow of emotional experiences to hold your interest. Loved this series even though I knew that there would not be a Season 3. I've ordered what was produced, and have delighted in what I experienced while watching this program.
on 15 June 2014
Watched both series on tv and just had to buy the box set for my sister as I loved it so much and she not seen it yet. If you love Downton Abbey and Mr Selfridge you will simply adore this drama .....the chemistry between the shop owner who is quite handsome and the ambitious pretty shop girl is so tense you are just willing them to get together....do they .....don't they.....just go watch it...great performances from other cast members too including the head of ladies wear played by the brilliant Sarah Lancashire.
on 19 November 2014
Series one was spectacular with solid story lines and superb acting plus the scenery is magnificent. Series two is all over the place and not so cohesive. I can understand why the BBC didn't produce a third series. Pleased I made the purchase but its a shame the second series couldn't match the first.
on 16 April 2014
Having missed the TV series and as we live in Portugal and had just lost UK TV after they moved the satellite I came across this series and decided to try it. The story took us through the life and times of a department store The Paradise. The brilliant acting by Joanna Van der Ham and Emun Elliott and the rest of the cast, the beautiful costumes, make-up and continuity made a very pleasing series. I found no fault at all and it was great to watch as many episodes as I wanted. I was so hooked that I had to curtail my addiction and restrict myself so i could extend the pleasure I got from watching it. A brilliant series and so well acted, charming story with the necessary evil to create the must watch feeling. If you enjoy period dramas then this is a must. Would make a lovely gift as well.
on 11 December 2013
If you missed this series when it was televised this is a 'must see' but be warned....you will become addicted to wanting to watch the entire set in one sitting.
on 17 January 2014
Disappointing. First series was elegantly written, with 3 dimensional characters, and plot motivated. 2nd series became more of a pot-boiler with little of the finesse or depth of first series. True, the visuals were impressive and actors did the best they could with the script, however the unlikely character developments, contrived/predictable "dramatic" moments, and some cringe-worthy dialogue (!) undermined their efforts. Both the script and dramatic developments were seriously flawed by anachronisms.
It's disappointing to see that the solid foundations of the first series were not built upon, and that instead of a sophisticated drama we have been given a soap-opera in costume - the writers/producers responsible certainly did not rise to the challenge of making a sequel worthy of Zola.
on 30 September 2015
A very enjoyable costume drama, well acted, delightful sets and interesting developments. Disappointed no third series as I should have liked to know what eventuated. Series 2 not as good as the first as it became melodramatic but still interesting.
on 9 July 2015
Gentle viewing entertainment with a great cast and period drama storylines that make light hearted viewing. Enjoyed Series 1 a little better than 2 but something I know the whole family will watch again some time in the future
on 25 July 2014
This series is far better than I expected and quite interesting. I noted that it was from an original by Emile Zola so I have searched his books for my kindle.
Only one little conundrum - where was it set as we had a real mixture of geordie, scottish, miss audrey upper class, and definite few yorkshire accents so a real mix there but the acting is good and the storylines are fairly believable. Well done - never saw it on BBC.
on 15 December 2013
My wife and I are huge fans of the series. A great gift for recapturing the joy of watching again.