Size: Printer With Start Up Inks|Change
Price:£230.95+ Free shipping

on 30 December 2014
After reading the reviews I took the plunge and ordered this printer.

Finding a A3 printer AND scanner is rare, most are A3 printer, with A4 scanner therefore I was a little hesitant with how the quality might be on this particular product.

Set-up was relatively quick, it did have problems installing the drivers automatically, this would have been resolved by inserting the CD provided but I like to skip the manual etc, managed to install the drivers from Brothers website, got it all hooked up via WiFi within minutes.

I scanned an old photograph, absolutely fantastic quality at 600dpi, printed on to A3 paper (also provided!) using the genuine Brother inks which were provided, cannot fault it.

Had a slight query regarding the shortcuts (really useful feature), contacted Brother Live Chat Support, was greeted by a friendly non-robotic sounding representative called Amber.

Will definitely recommend and use Brother (previously a HP customer, no issues with HP either but Brother seemed to meet my personal and business needs with this multifunctional printer).

What I like:

* Prints in A3 - great quality
* I have Plain A4 paper in Tray 2, glossy paper in Tray 1 (Tray 2 only supports plain)
* I feed A3 paper from the bag manually (you can also have it in Tray 2, but I rarely do A3)
* Sd card support
* Easy ink replacement
on 22 May 2014
We needed an office machine that could be shared by several computers and could function as an A3 and A4 copier, scanner, printer and fax. We checked the past ratings on this machine, which were all good. This printer has exceeded are expectations and for office use is brilliant. Only negative point is make sure you have back up cartridges constantly as its one of those printers where you can't print anything if one colour runs out. Other than that though would recommend 110%. Great quality printing at a good price. Wireless function is also an added bonus, and all was easy to set up with the guides.
on 9 September 2014
Needed A3 colour multifunction inkjet, and there aren't that many around. Previous model was Epson WF-7525, which I had for a year and was replaced under warranty 3 times for bad printing, flimsy construction and false paper jams. So I bought a Brother instead - not a brand that I knew at all. Had it now for 2 months and very pleased indeed. To begin with it looks really good on the desk, with styling and detail to match Apple, and is slightly smaller than the Epson. Print speed and quality is fine, though the noise that it makes when printing - a strange chattering that almost sounds like keystrokes, but might be the print heads charging - is quite unusual. You can run it in 'quiet' mode, which is supposed to be slower, but honestly it's not worth it as it's not noticeably quieter and I didn't mind the noise anyway.

The paper handling is fine: the upper tray sits flush with A4 paper loaded. This loads in landscape format which is a bit counterintuitive, but it sorts itself out to the right orientation when printing. The paper delivery trays do not fall out onto the floor like E***n. I load the lower tray with A3 and it telescopes out to hold it. The ADF works fine, with a fold-out top tray for loading, holding multiple sheets. It will deal with duplex with an internal mechanism (ie it doesn't eject between sides). There is also a rear tray that folds out from the back and is intended for single sheets of special paper. This is an excellent idea, but a bit fiddly to use if you have the printer standing back to a wall like I do. I think the photo print quality is not as good as my old Canon, but beats the E***n. Speed seems a little slow, mainly because of the 'long' receiving data message, but once this has disappeared it buckles down and gets on with things.

The scanner is fine too. It is fed either from the glass screen under the cover or from the ADF, which swings open to give loading access. The screen hinges extend to accept bound originals. I haven't used the fax yet (Who does?), but it looks OK and reacts when a phone call comes in.

The touch screen is great, with excellent resolution and simple intuitive menus. I think you may be able to use your own image as wallpaper, but I haven't even felt the need to try that.

Inks are very easy to change, from a compartment on the front of the printer. I think they are expensive and I don't have a clear notion of life, but the XL black cartridge is massive and claims 2,400 pages. Paper selection when printing is a bit strange as the menu paper options are plain, inkjet, glossy and transparency, with nothing apparent for matte photo paper. Inkjet seems to be the one for this. Another front compartment opens to give access to card and pictbridge slots.

I run Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks. This is not covered on the installation disk, but Brother support was easy to contact and they emailed me the drivers and it seems to work OK. Some other functions on the disk only work with Windows, but I haven't missed them and they may be available from Brother as well. WiFi connection just appeared and started working with no hassle. Wired connections follow a labyrinthine route through various channels moulded into the innards under the scanner. Instruction manual is thorough and well indexed.

So far no paper jams or false warnings.
on 12 February 2014
Very pleasantly surprised. Setting up, including WiFi, was extremely easy. Now printing from iMac, iPhone and iPad is a breeze. Even in quiet mode it is a little noisy loading paper. Can't seem to print duplex on A3 yet (might not be possible, anyone any ideas?) but on A4 works very well. High quality photo printing is not it's forté, but I knew that, and didn't expect it to be.

I'm a little disappointed that, even though the trays have been set up on the control panel with the correct paper sizes, the mac driver doesn't automatically choose the correct tray to print from (again, anyone any ideas?).

But, so far, so good.
on 6 May 2015
have considered quite a few printers since the collapse of my 5 year old HP Photosmart and this both the most expensive and impressive replacement I've found. This is an A3 printer/scanner with Duplex and does just about everything I need. I do a lot of craft work and this machine enables me to do just about everything I can think of. It was supremely easy to set up. I have 4 computers including an Apple Mac and 3 Pcs with 8.1. No problems. Wi-fi again no problem. Copies from A3 to A4 brilliantly and visa versa, I suppose, although I've not yet tried. Photo printing is good, but I think not quite as good as my old Photosmart. As for ink the cartridges are big, very big and I hope this will mean they will last a fair time, but I cannot comment on this at present.

This machine is a big beast. It is A3 after all, but it is very well made, looks stylish and does not look out of place. Although this is as much as I would like to pay for a printer, I think it is well worth it. And it is very versatile. It kinda future proofs any new craft ideas I might get in the future.
on 7 March 2016
So, after 6 years my HP Fax/Printer/Scanner/Copier died. What to buy? I did want A3 capability, Fax was not important, but a scanner & copier was, as was a document feeder and double sided printing. So the search began. Eventually I decided upon the Brother MFCJ6920DW.. So, first impressions:
It's much larger the HP and whereas the HP fitted on our office shelf between the two desks, this had to be sited on the filing cabinet.
It was pretty quick to set-up and connected to our WiFi easily. Loading the SW from the disc was a little clunky and took a couple of attempts. But once installed worked fine.

After several weeks here are my thoughts.
FOR:
A good all-rounder

2 x Large capacity paper trays

I like the scan from printer that then triggers the Brother S/W on the PC and sends it to the scan folder - v neat. So you can scan via the PC or via the printer.
Scanning is incredibly quick, first use, and I thought it had simply passed through the printer, could not believe it could have scanned a document so quickly.

Being able to Scan to One Note or One Drive is another great feature

Prints quite fast although once it receives the file, but it is slower from pressing print to react than the HP, but faster once it starts printing.

Copying is great and you can enlarge and stack/sort and do two sided copies. You can go A4 to A3, A3 to A4, plus other useful built-in features.

The colour touch screen is easy to read and use and the tilt facility so it is easy to read when standing is a well thought out, great design feature.

AGAINST
The colour print quality is really no where as good as the HP. I am using Brother cartridges, but the HP produced really clear, sharp pictures, the Brother produces much more muted colours, not as vibrant or sharp.

The A3 drawer issue. No where did I see it state that to use A3 in the tray woudl the tray have to stick out. It is really awkward as if you have A3 paper in the tray, it protrudes from the printer some way and is easier to catch. If I was using A3 all the time, I would have returned this product, however as it is a rare need, I remove the A3 paper from the tray and keep that tray empty until I need to pront A3.

Double sided printing issue. This is just annoying and is down to poor programming (years ago I was a programmer and even wrote printer drivers). If you have the double sided printing selected it takes the paper back in to the printer even if there is only ONE page to print! The printer does not detect there is a blank page so every time you have a single page it print, it pulls the finished page back into the printer - then prints nothing and then spits it out.

Rear feed issue. With the back of the printer against the wall, you cannot use the rear paper/card/photopaper feed. Had this been located on the side, top or front this would be fine, but as it is large we have it against the wall and so you have to pull it out from the wall to use this feed.

Card Printing Issue. We make our own birthday, Christmas, anniversary cards for friends and family and have done for years. The Brother does not like taking the card through at all and it has had paper jams on a couple of occasions. I think it is due to the paper route through the printer and some steep turns, with paper this is not an issue, but it doesn't like handling card.

Strange... I guess we are all used to printers taking their paper in, in Landscape mode, so it is strange to have to load your paper trays in Landscape mode, which is how teh printer takes the paper and processes it through the printer - in landscape mode. Nothing wrong I guess, but it feels strange and again is probably another reason why it is not that keen to print on card.

Summary, competitively priced all-round piece of kit that does everything well, if not outstanding in some areas. It will save a small home office, such as ours time and the ability to print to A3 will attract designers and architects who often now use A3 instead of AO.

I wonder if it will last as long as my HP printers have? Apart from one disastrous period with an Epson, I have been an HP die hard. I hope that the Brother unit is as reliable and long lasting.
on 29 January 2014
Brought this as part of a new home office. Needed A3 capability to print and scan. This meets all my needs.. East to set up and works great. Would recommend.
on 13 June 2015
There was some doubt regarding the purchase of this item as I was concerned about the size and the fact that it has to stay in an area with space about it in order to benefit from it. You need to be extremely careful with loading the paper and I feel that the back feeder for single sheets is not really practical except for small sheets of paper - A4 being the largest. A3 becomes difficult to manage here. The print is good and it is easy to set up on a wireless LAN
on 31 January 2016
One of the most frustrating printers I've ever owned and the first one I've ever given up on and am about to dump before it actually breaks or I throw it out the window and hurt someone. I've suffered with it for about a year now. I selected this model because I needed a multi page scanner and wanted to print/scan A3 pages as well as A4. Great price and specification but shocking performance compared to my old Canon it replaced. There's no point having an A3 printer if it only works sometimes, maybe an then only if you ask it just right and reboot everything twice. Getting deadline homework printed for the kids and having to spend 2 hours babying it out the printer with multiple jams and failed print jobs is not my idea of how these things should work. On top of that the print quality is only just passable even with the original inks. Save your money and avoid this one.
on 3 May 2014
This is my second Brother mfc and is a significant improvement over the previous generation. It's smaller and performs better in every way.
I use this printer for everyday documents, photos and plans. It does a really good good job of handling all those ordinary day to day tasks but it does not excellent at anything. Paper feed is quite noisy and always sounds like it will tear the paper - it doesn't.
Print quality is good not great, but A4 duplexing is a boon and print speed is good.
Two sided scanning is brilliant, although quality is only good.
The sheet feed works well and is reliable.
Photocopying is good.
Ink cartridges are chipped and buying Brother oem carts is reasonably costly.
Non oem carts are available but I have struggled to find a high capacity cart that works.
Overall, I thoroughly recommend this printer as a workhorse, it is very good value for money.