‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic memory;, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
Great reminder of a very enjoyable concert; so good - I am off to see it again in October '14.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the CD DVD what more can I say Just GREAT., 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
attended the concert bought the t shirt got the CD DVD what more can I say Just GREAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Hackett: Prog God, 23 Jan. 2014
Slipperman (Salisbury, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
I went to see Steve and his wonderful band at the Albert Hall back in October 2013 and was completely blown away by the emotion of it all. To hear many of my all-time favourite Genesis tracks performed to PERFECTION was a wonderful experience. I never had the chance to see Genesis in their pomp and glory and in my humble opinion, this is as close as a modern day audience will get to experiencing these wonderfully constructed songs as they were intended to be heard.
Our son was generous enough to purchase this CD/DVD package for Christmas and when I get the chance (the wife isn't such a fan!), I re-live that concert through the medium of this box set. There are so many highlights here and the superb musicianship of the band is maintained throughout the whole of the concert. I just love the look on Steve Hackett's face when reacting to the (deserved) standing ovation at the end of the Musical Box - it is a look of sheer pleasure and satisfaction and who can blame him? He is a brilliant guitarist, who finally gets to shine fronting his own band. Also exceptional is the extended (!) version of Supper's Ready, which finally gets the ending it deserves (I always feel short-changed by the original version on Foxtrot and the live version on Seconds out). Also outstanding here are Blood on the Rooftops, The Lamia, Eleventh Earl of Marr, Afterglow (with an emotional and top notch vocal from John Wetton) - it is just brilliant throughout. I don't agree with those who say the singing is lacking in parts - I believe Nad interprets some very complicated lyrics very well and he is well supported by the excellent vocals of drummer Gary O'Toole, who takes the lead vocals of Blood on the Rooftops in his stride.
If you are a fan of Gabriel-era Genesis, do not hesitate to buy this package. Thanks Steve, you truly are a Prog God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it if you like early, prog rock Genesis it is excellent, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
What can I say? Wow! Get it if you like early, prog rock Genesis it is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The nearest thing you will get to a Genesis 'proper' concert., 18 Feb. 2014
Mr. B. Maddison (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
I have several old Genesis dvd's with both Gabriel and Hackett. They are usually fuzzy and never show a song from start to finish. While this dvd doesn't have Collins etc it sounds just like the Genesis line up at their (in my opinion) best. This is a 5 star performance and is highly recommended. Along with Hank Marvin, Hackett is my favourite guitarist. He does things that by rights shouldn't work but end up fitting in beautifully. An example is The shadow of the Heirophant where he plays a fast run of notes after the singing and before the long ending. I could go on waxing lyrically about this cd-dvd collection but about 60 others have done that already. I have a couple of minor points about this excellent dvd but it's very much nit picking. On Watcher of the Skies, the beginning keyboards sound exactly right but I feel that there were parts where the notes were played too precisely and lacked a bit of Human feel. All the other keyboards were spot on. Maybe it was because it was the first song and nerves were present. Secondly, the vocals were as good as they could have been given that they weren't Gabriel. A couple of the guest vocalists were a bit lacking I thought, especially Nik Kershaw who, although he done nothing wrong, was less inspiring than some of the others. The drumming was excellent but I think I'll need a few listens to get used to Gary O'Toole's singing, again, nothing wrong with it but it isn't Gabriel. Did anyone notice the Bass guitar? It was a left hand guitar strung for a right handed player but played left handed so that the E string was at the bottom and not the top. I guess the Bassist couldn't afford a guitar when starting off learning and maybe borrowed a r/h guitar to learn on.
I feel guilty even saying these things as it is such a good dvd and wholeheartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent gift, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
Bought this for my partner and he loves it , although i had to sit and watch it and its not my thing , but if he's happy then so am i,

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackett and band on great form for a trip down memory lane, 15 Dec. 2013
BobM (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
Gabriel era Genesis was for me, in the early 1970's, a key component in my developing musical tastes for progressive rock.
Along with such noteable groups as Barclay James Harvest, ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd and later, Marillion, I was like many seduced by the sheer brilliance of the Genesis sound.
So it was with some trepidation I bought this wonderful album by the veritable Steve Hackett.
Representing superb value for money with no less than 3 CD's and 2 DVD's, the quality shines out.
From material that featured on the early albums I was transported back in time, although initially I had to aclimatise to some of the vocals.
Nad Sylvan gave a creditable performance on principal lead vocals, but maybe could have lost the pseudo-Gabriel makeup effort, along with the props (telescope and feather).
John Wetton and Nik Kershaw (of all people) did very well on their songs, and Amanda Lehmann not only sang well but brought some glamour to proceedings.
The brief appearance by Marillion's Steve Rothery was worth it. His duet with Hackett spine tingling.
A jazzy interlude within "I know what I like" was at first awkward to enjoy but second time around OK.
Even the drummer's (Gary O'Toole) vocals were on form.
Top for me, apart from Hackett (what an unassuming gentleman he is) was Roger King on keyboards. Magnificent!
Well done to all for a great and memorable event. Long may you continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia!, 7 Dec. 2013
Mr. Brian Hamilton (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
A great representation of the tour......... just like the Glasgow gig. The music was well played and too many highlights to list. My only problem is that I can't watch it in small excerpts, once it's on, I'm glued to it! FANTASTIC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
Top quality video, and with a 5.1 system the sound is amazing. The performances are joyful and beautifully-crafted. Clearly Steve is highly respected in the music world as he had no problem persuading several stars to put in cameo appearances. I bought this as a memento of the live gig and I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Hackett - Live at Hammersmith - wow !!!, 5 Dec. 2013
D. Fenton (Lancashire. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith (Audio CD)
I must admit that this box set is quite superb, 5 discs in total. 3 CDs and 2 DVDs. Fantastic value, just wish they made a BluRay disc version as picture quality is ok, but bluray picture and sound quality would have been sumptuous. The gig is absolutely brilliant, loved it, played it several times already and downloaded a couple of early Genesis albums as a result. Loved the early Genesis stuff, fell away massively after Hackett was forced out. All in all a great souvenier of a fantastic gig, just wish i'd gone to see them up on the northern leg of their tour.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 | Next ›

Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith
Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith by Steve Hackett (Audio CD - 2013)