5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it :)
Published 15 months ago by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars fun, but too much
**Slightly spoilerish***

I almost loved this book. It was almost a great humorous paranormal romance. It was almost a stellar read. It also almost didn't get finished by this reader.

Published 9 months ago by Sadie Forsythe

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it :), 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fashionably Dead (Hot Damned Series, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was drawn to this book by the cover, to me at least it just said 'come see what I have in store', gotta admit I was seriously glad I took notice. After reading the blurb I bumped it straight to the top of my tbr and that pretty much was that. I loved this book, the snarky one-liners and banter really made me laugh. There was not one character that fell short of what seemed to be their purpose throughout the book, I loved the good guys and hated the bad guys. There were a lot of characters throughout the book but at no point did I find it hard to keep track of who was who, they were all introduced in such a way that they quickly became an integral part of the story, it certainly didn't feel like there were any throw away characters, they all had their part to play in the overall story and they did it well. This was a story with a lot going on, but again I never felt lost or had to backtrack just to figure it out, as much as it was a busy book it was done in a very straight forward way it was easy to follow and the writing never felt rushed. For as much as there is going on in the book it really doesn't detract from the quality of the story and the writing, both of which I though were pretty excellent. I don't think I could say anything negative about this book, I enjoyed it far too much for that, the only thing I would say is if you're looking for a book thats gonna tear your heart out and stomp on it whilst you ugly cry and rock in the corner this maybe isn't the book for you. If you're looking for a fun laugh out loud funny read that showcases a lot more than the 'typical' Vampyre then this should be right up your alley. Paranormal fans everywhere should be rejoicing over this eclectic mix that totally work and if you don't think paranormal is really your cup of tea then this book may well change your mind. Everyone needs some funny in their life at some point and this book delivers that in a big way. I'm just wondering if its maybe too early to start stalking the author and harping on about how much I need the second out right about now? First time I've read anything by this author but it most certainly won't be the last, I just may be in love :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this!!!, 10 April 2014
Well, for a freebie this was probably one of the best one's I have downloaded.

I was very doubtful when reading the plot BUT have to say when I got into it there was no way I was putting it down until I found out what was happening!

Hysterically funny and very well written. So much so, as soon as finished this book, downloaded the second one (and paid for it!!!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Zany fun!, 10 April 2014
A great easy zany read... Funny and outlandish! Really enjoyed this book and went on to read the next in the series'

3.0 out of 5 stars fun, but too much, 19 Mar 2014
**Slightly spoilerish***

I feel like the author had a really fun idea, what could be engaging characters, a good sense of humour and some hot sex and then took it all, mixed in a bowl and multiplied it times ten until it was patently unpalatable. Seriously, the idea here is so good. The writing is too, but my god(dess), it's all just taken soooooo far.

Astrid liked Prada...so she's a Prada Hore (yes, I know it's misspelled) and we're reminded of it about 1,000 times. She becomes a vampire....then, through no effort on her part, becomes an ultra-vamp. She's 'The Chosen One'...then develops unbelievable and unbeatable power and skill that save the day repeatedly, despite her not knowing how she does what she does. (Don't you just love when mysterious superpowers randomly pop up and rescue the heroine with no conscious decision on her part?) She not only can do a bit of magic here or there (when vamps aren't supposed to be able to do any), she can shoot hundreds of silver bullets from her fingertips. She can destroy whole roomfuls of enemies (sometimes, but apparently not always, since at other times she just didn't bother).

She's chosen as a mate...by the most powerful vamp in the area. She gets hot around him...and then can have a screaming O repeatedly at a touch on her back. They have sex...and then when that isn't wild enough for our heroine they throw in handstand positions and things that she thinks probably should be legal. Seriously? Sex and handstands, when she's portrayed as not particularly sexually experienced.

She wants a family...then she gets one, and then another, and then another. Everyone can't help but love her eventually. She's funny and sarcastic...then it just becomes annoying in it's suicidal banality. She can apparently say anything to anyone at anytime with none of the consequences other vampires would face. She gets a guardian angel...then a special fairy...then her best friend goes all super-power too. She's too special for a girl who was just some normal Mary Sue a day earlier. She's mated to the local ruler, daughter-in-law to the vampire king, daughter to the demon king, granddaughter to the king's best friend, guarded by the most notable fairy to come around for 2,000 years, best friends with the fairy queen, and trained by a powerful angel who also has an important position. It's all just too much...far, far, far too much.

Especially since I don't know that I actually grasped why she needed all the special skills to accomplish the task 'The Chosen One' was meant to do. Actually, I wasn't really even all that clear on what that was to start with. Maybe she'll need to do more powers in the future, but as it stands much of her amazingness seemed surplus to requirements.

Further, the book is incredibly repetitive. It recaps itself at regular intervals, gives the reader the same information more than once and I just plain lost track of how many times I read, 'What the fu...' Scaled back, this could be a really good book. I mean it is funny. It is well written. The editing is pretty good. (I noticed a few errors, but far fewer than in a lot of indie books I've read.) But it's completely unbelievable and after a while I just started groaning and rolling my eyes. Plus, it's a freakin' cliffhanger. At least it's not a novella. It's an appreciably long book, but still doesn't have a conclusion.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am soooo disappointed ..., 6 April 2014
L. Sears "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I just finished reading this book this morning and I'm at loss about what I've spent the last few days reading. But as I try to give every book I read an objective review, I've broken my thoughts down into the good, the bad and the downright cheesed off!

So, what's good about this book? The author's imagination knows no bounds! For a paranormal romance it's packed with vampyres, demons, spirits, sprites, fairies, and angels. It's well plotted with lots of complicated and well-thought-out connections between the many different characters, and it's clear that the author has spent a lot of time on this. The book is a fun read for the most part. And as much as it creates gripping tension that, it moves quickly enough so you're not kept hanging**

What's bad about this book? Several of the main characters are described as exact replicas of iconic media figures: Oprah, Schwarzenegger, Steve from Jerry Springer. Whether this is a lazy way of avoiding description, I can't tell. But it serves no other purpose that I can see. I also think the book is guilty of overindulging in action. So much goes on in this story that you're careening from one event to the next at a heady pace, but at the same time, nothing is actually really pushing the story forward. Repetition; every time the Astrid, the main character (MC) describes an orgasm she refers to it as 'made me see Jesus'. And every time someone surprises her, there's no gasping or fright, she just yells 's***'. And the references to Prada ... Really? Was the author on commission. The MC and her friends repeatedly refer to themselves as Prada whores, and the author goes to great pains to describe each outfit her MC wears. In fact she spends more time on outfit description than character description. All this together has a negative effect on Astrid, making her seem shallow and empty headed, and affecting the way you engage with her.

So, what cheesed me off. Well, for a first in series novel, this book is a significant length, which is not a problem if you get plenty of satisfaction from reading it. And it is (according to the cover) 'Book One - The Hot Damned Series'. But actually ... it's more like book one of a serial, not series. Because when you hit 90% on the Kindle version just as hero is charging after his heroine, rather than follow them into Hell (that's actually where they've gone) and see them come out the other side and get their happy ever after--which for me is the mark of a great paranormal romance story--your hit with a devastating: The End ... for now

What! Really? I invested my time reading this story, following every twist and turn and with still 10% showing on my Kindle, rather than reach a happy conclusion as I expected to, I'm told you have to buy another book and read through more of this crazy, dizzy world ... No! The mark of a great series is that each book should tell it's own tale, while developing characters and plot lines for futures stories, but it should always leave you satisfied at the end, and hungry for what's still to come.

** So, so much for it not keeping me hanging. Okay so this book was free on Amazon, but the next book isn't, and how do I know I'll reach the end of the story even if I do buy it? I feel tricked, cheated and just a bit pissed off. I won't be bothering with any further stories in this so-called "series".

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing Read!!!, 8 Oct 2014
This is a mind blowing book full of laughs and interesting twists and turns. It follows Astrid as she gets bitten by a vampire and her efforts on how she comes to terms with this. She is helped by Pam, the angel and The Kevin, the fairy and Astrid's best friend Gemma. She meets Ethan, a vampire prince who believes Astrid is the Chosen One and his family. Astrid is strong due to the blood she consumes from the angel and fairy. Astrid father is Demon King and her mother is a hateful woman who hates Astrid. She isnt motherly at all and doesnt give Astrid the motherly love she so desires.
Astrid reminds me of Queen Betsy from the Undead series written by Maryjanice Davidson. Astrid has a filthy mouth but is totally hilarious just like Betsy. Astrid loves anything Prada. She goes totally gaga over anything Prada.
I could not put this book down. I had to read it through. I hated any interruption when reading it. I dont think 5 stars is enough for this book. I would have given it 100 stars as it is that good. I loved all the characters in the book. All the twists and turns in the book were mind blowing and so fabulous.
I have just bought the 2nd book in this series which continues on from where book 1 ended. I hope there are many many more books to come about Astrid and her family. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
I would recommend everyone to read this book as it is hilarious and laugh out funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and Funny, 9 April 2014
This book is great - I don't know how to describe it. I like that it is a parody - mainly of Chicagoland Vampires. But also takes its style from Queen Betsy - Undead series, and ideas from the Megan Chase Books. I found it hilarious - I laughed out loud at some of the character names. It reminded me of films like Scary Movie, it is fun spotting the different books it is referencing.

The book is really clever, has a strong plot and great characters. Although it pokes fun at other books, the author has created something new and unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 9 April 2014
loved this book lots of action to keep you interested lots of sexy moments and funny bits too couldnt wait to by the next book defentitly recommend this series and author will be reading more

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, 8 April 2014
Not a book I would normally read, but once I started couldn't put it down. Was funny and really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good escapism!, 7 April 2014
Loved this book! very easy to read - did not want it to end. Pure, wonderful, fun escapism! More please!