Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.19

on 16 October 2013
Touareg music, desert rock or blues call it what you will this is a brilliant recording. I have a large collection of African music and find some of the drone based music from the Sahara a bit repetitive. Whilst of the same genre this music is utterly listenable and had my feet tapping away and me totally focused on their interesting sound. It's well worth buying. The guitar has a nice bite to it and the studio recording has been well done so the different instruments come through clearly. I heard this on my monthly Songlines World music sampler CD and it absolutely stood out from the 20 or so other artists on it. So I bought it and immediately was hooked - and it gets better after a few listenings as you get familiar with it. I suspect that this is one of the best CDs in its genre...I found it much more accessible than some of Tinariwen's music. You can also try a Sahara band called Terakaft. But this CD is the one to judge all others by....
on 20 September 2013
If you want your `desert blues' with a lot more electric bite - here is the album for you. Strutting powerful music, like a Saharan Rolling Stones, on this album Tamikrest are mean and moody and take no prisoners. This is a high energy album, visceral and yet still with its roots in the trancey traditional music of Tuareg culture.
Recorded in honour of the role women played in keeping families strong and together during the devastation wrought by the recent imposition of Islamic sharia law in Mali, the title of this album translates as `Sisters.' The opening track `Tisnant an Chatma (The suffering of my sisters)' is a heartbreaking homage to them: `Who can estimate the suffering felt by the soul of one who sees her sisters exhausted from waiting .... in deep distress and daily oppression?'
No star-lit, intimate fire-side desert jam this album, it's raw and beautifully hardcore `desert rock' rather than `desert blues.' A gorgeous, enchanting full-on album experience - I bet you can't keep your body still while you listen to it. Perhaps the best album of this genre I have ever heard - absolutely spine tingling.

Nicholas Breeze Wood
on 4 November 2014
I love the Saharan sounds of the better Toureg bands such as Tinariwen and Terakaft, However, this goes above and beyond all of those great musicians. Even if this style of music is not to your taste, the sheer musical ability of this band and the blend of loping camel-train rhythms with solid western-style rock may well turn you on to a treat. I defy anyone not to be deeply moved and not to keep at least your feet still - if not your entire body! Exotic and thrilling -amazing stuff.
on 20 October 2013
This is my third Tamikrest CD and they keep getting better. Excellent recording, beautiful music and guitars - who's been listening to David Gilmour, I wonder - great voices, and more accessible and tuneful than Tinawiren IMHO. It's all very subjective, I know, but this will get inside your head and not let go! I love it!
on 16 January 2014
Great album that really blows the cobweb off any doubts that they were a one album wonder. There is a lot of great music out there just now that is pushing boundaries. What's great about this band is they way in which they can push boundaries using just the basic instruments.

I guess some people will compare them with Tinawiren but they are not quite as purist.
on 2 October 2013
Amazing album. Like a Thai stick converted into MP3 format. Tamikest may be a derivative of Tinariwen but as we know from the markets a derivative has more bang than the underlying.

The album is too short....need a bigger hit next time!
on 19 June 2015
Fantastic music..... It takes you to another world you never suspected existed. I have very eclectic tastes in music, from Opera to Jazz and just about everything in between. Jazz is really my favorite, but this CD rates high on my list. Love it!
on 1 December 2013
Moving, exotic, brilliant I would recomend this product to anyone who likes rock music!!! To anyone to wants to discover foreign places without leaving their living room.
on 18 February 2016
The best ' desert rock album for both them and the genre in my opinion. They have fantastic style and expression and the translations are very moving.
on 31 December 2013
Fusion of Malian music with guitar rock. This is the best thing I've heard in ages, completely mesmerising. The only drawback is it ends too soon.