Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These biscuits are actually packaged to make them practical to eat on the move with each portion of four biscuits having its own little tray and a sturdy clear plastic wrapping. No more fishing dusty crumbs and a crumpled piece of plastic film out of your pocket or bag.
They are lower in sugar (under 20%) and taste less sweet than many similar products on the market. The biscuits are slim - c. 5mm thick - so the fruit content is very finely chopped. It's definitely there though, and they do have a pleasant taste of dried fruit, a bit like a Garibaldi biscuit.
As expected, they are high in fibre, nearly 4g per 50g portion, which is almost 2g over the 6g benchmark for a product claiming to be high in fibre. Each biscuit is around 55 calories. They are also vitamin and calcium enriched - generally a tastier choice than many similar products on the market.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wasn't expecting to like these biscuits; I actually expected them to taste like cardboard! However I was pleasantly surprised.

The biscuits come in handy little packets of four (five packets in each box) which is enough for a good-sized snack or a small replacement breakfast. Each packet comes in a wrapped plastic tub which protects the biscuits well if you're carrying them in your bag.

The biscuits tasted really nice to me, a bit like Garibaldi biscuits, and the fruit was chopped so finely that it wasn't too noticeable and didn't stick in my teeth (which I liked seeing as I am not a huge fan of raisins). They turned into a slightly paste-like texture inside my mouth and I needed a large cup of tea with them - don't have them without a drink! I didn't find that too much of a problem though. They were quite satisfying and kept me hunger-free for a couple of hours.

Compared to most biscuits these are quite healthy, made using wholegrain out flour and wheat flours, and they contain calcium and fibre. However, they do have 9.7 grams of sugar per 4 biscuits, which is around a fifth sugar. This is better than some sugary cereals that contain around a third sugar, and even better than many cereal bars, but it is still not great for your teeth. The amount of sugar would prevent me from buying these as a regular purchase, but if you are not too concerned with your sugar intake then I would recommend them, and I will probably get them occasionally.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A few years ago Breakfast Biscuits would have been a couple of digestives to accompany a cup of coffee when you didn’t have enough time to make or consume a proper breakfast. Now there seems to be lots of different brands of Breakfast Biscuit available at the supermarket. They are a welcome addition to our breakfast food choices though as they don’t require any preparation, they are filling and nutritious but best of all, they generally taste rather good. The latest ones to come to my attention are Weetabix Fruit and Fibre.

Each box contains five packets containing four biscuits, which are packaged inside the cardboard box in a plastic container to help prevent the biscuits breaking in transit. This is a plus, as I don’t recall any other brand that has a similar inner container. The biscuits are rather dark, almost burnt looking, and are a quite hard and not particularly crumbly. I found the taste to be a little too sweet for my liking and whilst the fibre was much in evidence I didn’t detect that much of a taste of fruit.

Overall I was disappointed by these Breakfast Biscuits and would have to say that they are not as good as many rival products that I have sampled previously.

I don’t think that I will be choosing Weetabix Fruit and Fibre again.
on 22 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought these were a bit dry and a bit too sweet, in fact an artificial sweetness. I am not sure about them being a breakfast biscuit but quite enjoyed them with a mid morning coffee, yes I did dunk them, they did not fall to bits which is a good thing. I quite liked the fruity taste.
I suppose my overall reaction is one of indifference, I am glad I tried them and eat them all, they seemed to grow on me, but I don't think I will buy any.
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being as lazy as I am, I don't often get up in time on a weekday morning to prepare a full breakfast. I know that it's an important meal, but I would much rather hit snooze and spend an extra 10 minutes in bed. However, for the past few months, I've been having these breakfast biscuits that seem to be all over the shelves in the supermarket recently. Stashing them away in my drawer at work and having them with a cup of coffee may not be the ideal replacement for breakfast, but it seems to work for me.

Having tried a few different varieties now, from chocolate to oat and honey, I settled on a "favourite" which was the belVita fruit and fibre range. Now, after trying the Weetabix version, I'm not so sure which will end up being my trusted source anymore!

Just like the belVita range, they seem to be just enough to keep me sustained through to lunch time, whilst also being quite tasty. Whilst other breakfast biscuits I've tried can often be too sweet, the Weetabix biscuits seem to be a bit more tangy. I would also say they have the edge over other varieties for being just a bit more filling! I can't really fault them at all.
on 5 March 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you like Weetabix you may like these as a snack when you're out and about. They are reasonably palatable, though dry, so you certainly need a drink to accompany them. Not particularly exciting though. They serve the purpose of eating something when you need a little snack, the 'fruit' is nothing to speak of, barely visible and I couldn't really taste it. They are moderately filling, but not as much as a 'normal' breakfast of cereal and milk, or poached egg on toast.

Also bear in mind that every time you eat a pack (4 biscuits) you eat nearly 2 teaspoons of sugar (about 1/5 of your RDA if female, 17 if male).

NHS state that more than 22.5g of total sugars per 100g is high, so with 19.3g of sugar per 100g it's safe to say these aren't that healthy. Traditional Weetabix cereal is only 4.4g sugar per 100g, so I think the marketing of these is a bit sneaky as they're trying to imply that they are quite healthy with the calcium and fibre claims, and being tied to the original Weetabix image.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I passed these to my partner for feedback because there is nothing on the packaging to state whether or not they are suitable for vegetarians. Responses in order: 'like a ship's biscuit', 'too dry but I will finish them', 'surprisingly filling when taken with a cup of tea', to 'where are those biscuits? I couldn't find them this morning'.

We are both looking for foods that are filling on busy mornings to avoid us snacking. Whilst these biscuit packs look very nondescript and uninspiring they seem to have been a surprising hit. The equivalent of a chap with a dog that can croon to Oasis' Wonderwall winning Britain's Got Talent.

However, it would be nice if manufacturers could make clear whether products are vegetarian because even innocent foods can turn out to contain animal fat or rennet. Had I been able to try these they may have earned another star.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being an early commuter to work, I commit the cardinal sin of not having any breakfast before I set off. When I get to the office, I whip out the breakfast biscuits and make myself a cuppa. I've had some excellent breakfast biscuits and some downright nasty ones. I wasn't too sure about the Weetabix ones having developed an aversion to Weetabix since I was a child as my dad worked there and for breakfast it was always Weetabix. So back to the review - are they tasty? Surprisingly tasty actually considering I like the yogurt filled ones. The fruit isn't overpowering but you can make it out. They're not too hard either so you won't have to worry about your dentures falling out. I would say these are a welcome alternative to the usual breakfast biscuits but as you know the market is pretty crowded but the Weetabix ones fall into the 'quality' batch.
on 22 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are quite filling, and not too sweet. They have a fruity aroma and flavour which doesn't entirely appeal to me- it somehow has a hint of artificiality- but maybe the other variants are better. The only problem is the texture. They are very dry if you have them without a drink, but then when you dip them into a hot drink they completely dissolve. So you need to dip quickly, or eat them dry, but alternate with mouthfuls of drink. They have a sort of gloopiness in the mouth, probably due to the oats. I think I prefer Belvita, but these are fine, just not amazing.

By the way I saw these in Poundland, so you don't need to pay £2-odd a box for them.
VINE VOICEon 26 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do not lightly voice my disappointment over a product but, sadly, in this case I really must make an exception.

On opening, I could see that the biscuits were in four separate packs, doubtless to provide the sustenance equivalent to a missing breakfast. I therefore unwrapped a pack, made myself a cup of tea and settled at my office desk to test them. I barely got through one biscuit before concluding that this was not an experience that I wished to repeat. The first thing to hit me was the intense and unpleasantly obvious sugary taste couched in a dry fibrous biscuit base and, frankly, I was put off entirely. I grimly munched through the remainder and then, in case I was being fussy, offered one to a colleague. He took a bite, shook his head and declined to finish it. Uncharitably, I thought that the product reminded me of dog biscuits that I had once sampled (and preferred by comparison) and decided to declare the experience a gastronomic failure.

I have given the biscuits two stars because I am a little fussy and eschew very sweet food. Perhaps another customer may well find them delicious and nutritious and I would not like to put them off as they contain an impressive array of nutrients. In the meantime, it is back to porridge.