Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 2 December 2013
Katie Melua's velvet voice, combined with haunting melodies and deep lyrics which you just can't help but pay complete undivided attention to, makes this album one of the must-haves of the year.

"I Will Be There" has to be my favourite song of the entire year. Katie's voice sings this like no one else could.

My only criticism of this album would be that the full orchestral version of 'I Will Be There' isn't featured on this album - such a shame! I would definitely suggest buying the mp3 along with this album. The full concert recording is utter perfection!
on 7 January 2014
Spent my Christmas gift money on this Katie Melua album, and what a great choice ! I have a fair few of her CD's now and have heard her perform live at Hampton Court Palace Summer Festival in 2012 - she is consistently good. This new album is no exception with her crystal cut diction and succinct sublime songs, all of which are brilliant, my very favourite is 'I Will Be There'. I agree with other reviewers, in so much as the fade out should be longer (after all you can't have too much of a good thing), and not having heard the full version with orchestra's final note, one can only imagine how divine this would sound.

Can highly recommend, if you are wondering how to best spend your Christmas money.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The release of "Ketevan" (Katie's Georgian birthname)marks her sixth studio album since her multi platinum debut "Call Off The Search" in 2003.

There was always something warm and comforting about Katie's voice as she caressed the lyrics of Mike Batt's timeless songs in her previous albums and the delightful "Ketevan" continues that tradition. There is an effortless blend of pop and jazz - tinged with the blues - about her style and Mike Batt knows how to let her unique voice lift the songs and the music to a place where angels dwell. This elegance is captured in blue with the gorgeous ballads "Never Felt Less Like Dancing" and "Sailing Ships From Heaven".

In contrast I love the retro jazz sound of "Mad Mad Men" and "Idiot School" and the melancholy bluesy feel of "Love Is A Silent Thief". But the album's finest moment is the haunting Mike Batt song "I Will Be There" that he was commissioned to write for the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Her Majesty The Queen.

This beautiful song brings together melody, lyrics, orchestra and voice in a showcase for the glorious rapport that exists between Katie Melua and her mentor, Mike Batt. Long may it continue to flourish.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2013
Wasn't sure after the first play but now I suspect there's a danger that the laser in the CD player will be burning through the disc! Some great tracks written by Mike Batt, beautifully presented by Katie. I just can't get enough of the CD at the moment
on 11 February 2014
This is my first Katie Melua CD and I am really, really impressed, by her music writors, and the performers, and production, yes definitely she is not doing this on her own, but her strident voice and emotion goes perfectly out front with their music. Pop is now such a broad definition, but this is nothing like some production line up like S Club 7, or other It Girls of recent years like the Spice Girls, in fact in comparison it is an old fashioned line up, even if some of it raunchy, such as Shiver and Shake, and I love the simplicity of some of it. Lyrics are interesting, provoking, meaningful, demanding, not wishy washy or all too typical. It's not like she is trying to emulate some country bumpkin but it has an authentic feel, for instance the countrified The Love I'm Frightened Of. Yes, excellent production, but also, real music, and some of it puts a cool slant on things, other times it is just really beautiful. Charming at times too, such as the lightly bubbling sing-a-long Where Does the Ocean Go? And the self effacing Idiot School with its New Orleans jazz type melancholic bop along. For me the most beautiful pieces are the 1st, with its sorrowful heartache, and last, with the relaxed funky guitar plodding along to catchy lyrics about the woman down the street. Does this have something to do with the Queen I read? To me it doesn't, but that is when a song has its universality and succeeds. Everyone needs to know a woman in the street and its just like that, an ordinary, beautiful piece. Beautiiful and accomplished singing.
on 27 May 2014
This album sees Katie once more delivering the type of music that won over her fans in the first place, while also stretching a bit both as writer and singer. The addition of Luke Batt to the writing and production team is a very good thing indeed, as he brings a fresh sound to the material while respecting both the artist and the fans. As usual with Katie's albums, I have a hard time picking a favourite track, but this time "Sailing Ships from Heaven" is a stand-out for me. Although Katie says there are no covers on this album, "Sailing Ships from Heaven" was recorded by Mike Batt in the late '80s, and also by Sandra Schwartzhaupt in the '90s. As is so often the case, though, when Katie covers a song she breathes a whole new vitality into it - in this case helped greatly by Luke Batt's powerful but not overpowering drum track. Not your typical rock or even jazz drumming, it's reminiscent of a pipe and drum corps and and adds just that extra something the song needed.
on 27 April 2014
When I purchased Ketevan I already had 3 of Katie's albums. Listening to Katie on a good sound system really emphasises the wonderful clear and relaxing voice she has. One concern I had was that this would be a little too similar to her previous albums. In some ways the album has its own style with some great tracks. However, I can't help wondering if I would have rated this album a 5 if it was the first Katie album I had purchased.

The bottom line is that is you are new to Katie Melua you will NOT be disappointed with this. My favourite album purchase over the last couple of years is Norah Jones 'Little Broken Hearts' - an album that is superb and maybe sets the standard for this sort of music. I'll always return and listen to the many lovely Katie Melua albums, and this album is maybe her best yet.
on 10 October 2014
Had not purchased any recent stuff from Katie because I thought she had lost an edge or true distinction of what she wrote and would sing about!
This is a slow burner, it needs more than a few listens to begin to truly appreciate what is going on!
Stick with it because it does prove her calibre as a song writer and as a singer. Each song begins to have its own character so the listener begins to hear the more than what they may think is a sameness to previous material!
The last track is my favourite because i was humming the hook line after the first play and this really encouraged me to listen the album in parts as opposed to hearing it all complete! It was this approach that made me ponder and alter my first impression!
It is worth more that a few plays
on 8 November 2013
Having been a huge Katie fan since her debut, I was let down by Secret Symphony as I felt it was lacking what makes a Katie album such a delight to listen to. I needn't have worried about this being the end, however, as Ketevan is a stonking return to form for Georgia's favorite export. Never Felt like Dancing carries on a string of excellent opening numbers from Melua and the quality rarely dips from there.

My updated KM chart now looks like this. Whilst I'd rate Ketevan as the second weakest of Katie's albums, I'd still say it is a 4 star piece of work, and in many other artists discographies it would be much higher.

Piece by Piece
Call off the Search
The House
Secret Symphony
on 8 October 2013
Katie has a beautiful voice, and the songs are all written to perfectly showcase this, which a departure from previous albums which are dotted with covers from other artists. The one gripe I have is with the recording; the backing music sometimes overpowers her lovely voice. The one track I am most upset with is "Love is a Silent Thief", which I first heard on Sunday Brunch (tv), a wonderfully haunting song, simply backed, allowing her voice to shine through. It sent shivers and I bought the album based on that song alone. My disappointment when the albums version swamps the melodic tones of her voice is considerable. Hence only 4 stars.