5.0 out of 5 stars An irresistibly charming family adventure!
Published 5 months ago by G. Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Its fun.
Published 1 hour ago by Rest of us

5.0 out of 5 stars An irresistibly charming family adventure!, 9 Feb 2014
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I, like most, was skeptical when news came that a Lego Movie was being produced. Then I discovered that the writer/directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, has also created Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street, two films that I thoroughly enjoy watching. Then the trailer hit, and my interest started to peak. I still had my reservations, but I went into the movie with high hopes. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did.

Reviews have been nothing short of glowing, and while we often like to challenge their views, I completely agree with what they say. First of all, the animation. You may find it difficult to believe that you can watch a whole movie created with animated lego figures and not find it at least a little jarring. I thought that, even after five minutes of the movie had gone, but you soon get used to it and come to appreciate its unique style. I adored the sets, ranging from your stereotypical Western village to your stereotypical party resort. There was such attention to detail that you could practically look anywhere on the screen and be entertained by something (I saw Dumbledore showing off his dance skills in one scene). With regards to the 3D, it was very well done and perfectly enhanced every set and every action sequence, particularly one that involves a lego ocean.

The voice cast was utterly charming, starting with Chris Pratt, who has really come into his own as an actor. 2014 is sure to be a huge year for him. Supporting players such as Elizabeth Banks, a hilarious Morgan Freeman, Will Ferrell, Alison Brie and Will Arnett are each very strong additions to the movie. However, it is Liam Neeson who arguably steels the show. His change from Good Cop to Bad Cop is hilarious, and he isn't afraid to just go crazy and have fun with his character, which I liked seeing as he is normally quite a brooding actor.

The humour was not only flat out some of the funniest things I've heard in a while, it also came in rapid succession, and you may miss one or two jokes because you've been laughing for almost five minutes. I had a huge grin on my face throughout the entire film, especially the 'Everything is Awesome' sequence, which had the entire audience going wild. There truly is something for everyone in this movie; kids will love the sets and slapstick, while adults will relish the pop culture references and parodies of genre cliches.

Up until the last fifteen minutes or so, the movie is a hilarious, non-stop adventure that has everyone on the floor. However, Lord and Miller cleverly chose the final act to covey some touching messages that took me completely by surprise. It was like Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon all over again. Prepare yourself, this one's a tearjerker.

Overall, I simply can't recommend this movie enough. Yes, you could say the final third is somewhat 'controversial', and yes you could say the animation is distracting. But for me, this was the perfect family adventure that someone of any age can enjoy. It's also a movie that I would definitely be open to viewing multiple times; it's just that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything really is awesome..., 21 July 2014
Believe the hype. This film is clever, witty but most importantly, it's funny, it's very funny.

This film flips the "chosen one" story line on it's head and contains a feel good message for its audience. There is plenty to enjoy, whether you're a child, teenager or an adult, there is something for everybody.

Who would have guessed that an adaptation of a children toy would make such a good film?! (Suck it, Battleship!)

The voice cast is superlative to the point where I've got writers block wiring this now. So if you don't know what all the fuss is about, buy this film, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "..AMAZING FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY..", 19 Feb 2014
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
No matter what age you are Lego is awesome! im surprised they waited this long to do this movie but I guess now the effects are up to their standards, its amazing how they captured the likeness of every brick and person that you have ever seen in Lego, amazing animation, great story that kids will love and there is plenty of stuff there for adults go chuckle at too, this is big bright and colourful fun from start to finish with a great voice cast and catchy dialogue and music, the 3D was pretty cool too not the best but still good to see, nothing bad to say really, I can certainly see plenty of sequels down the line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything IS Awesome!, 15 July 2014
bizmandan (staffordshire, england) - See all my reviews
In recent years Lego has become no stranger to mainstream success, evolving way beyond its original popular toy status and branching out into all sorts of media, so naturally a full motion picture was going to be inevitable.
One might be tempted to categorize this movie in the same sort of genre as the efforts made by Hasbro in recent years- that would be a mistake on your part, because the quality of this film is way above anything I would have expected.

Going into this movie I really did struggle to figure out what it might be about, as Lego has got its fingers in so many different pies, it makes toys for dc and marvel as well as star wars, harry potter, lord of the rings and so many other amazing franchises. I assumed it might be a dc Lego movie, as the studio distributing the film is warner bros. I was wrong though, this film is about Lego, in every sense of the word, this is truly a Lego movie.
For me, the great thing about Lego is that it is only limited by imagination and the Lego movie really plays to that, this film is kind of all over the place, it seems to have an attention span of a four year old that has just had a whole tub of coffee ice-cream, but that is not really a bad thing, as soon as one idea is done, and explored, its time to move onto the next one because that is what Lego is all about! Because of this we get to see all sorts of characters from Gandalf to Dumbledore, from green lantern to superman and of course the spaceman! The scenes of the story are constantly shifting as well we get to explore Lego cityscapes, the western frontier, utopias and dystopias, all of this eclectic story telling just makes the concept of the film better because Lego is just too versatile to be limited to one genre setting.

The look of the film is great, adopting a YouTube Lego animated video type look, makes the whole thing just look brilliant, I really think avoiding the use of CGI for the most part was a great production decision. Adopting stop motion makes the film stand out as something a bit different as you very rarely see stop motion animation these days (or any traditional animation really!) But it also has the effect of taking you back to your childhood days where you would imagine what the little figures were saying and doing, this movie makes you feel like you are playing with Lego!

The cast of this film is absolutely amazing with voices from the likes of Chris Pratt and Elizabeth Banks in lead and many amusing cameos such as Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum as Green Lantern and Superman respectively. The real gems are in the supporting cast with Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson using their iconic voices to great effect and of course you have got to mention Will Arnett as Batman because HE'S BATMAN!

I went into this film thinking that it might be a bit of fun and good for a giggle or two, what I did not count on is coming out of the film thinking everything about this is awesome! (You'll get the reference if you've watch it) some might call this a 101-minute advert for a toy company, but I call it a reminder, a reminder of everything there is to love about Lego.
I can safely say that anybody that did not enjoy this film has obviously never played with Lego or have forgotten what is like to live in the magical world of your imagination. If that is the case I suggest you revisit your childhood and watch this film again because everything in the Lego movie IS AWESOME! Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph!!, 22 July 2014
Two things that are very very hard to come by,a decent horror film & even more so a decent comedy."The Heat" was the last time i did not laugh at a so called comedy & there are plenty more i could mention.
This is one of the best films i've seen this year,it pokes fun at a long list of films,Star Wars,any Batman film,a load of westerns,Lord Of The Rings & The Matrix plus many others but it's very subtle.Full of daft jokes foreground & background,alot of them is Lego taking the mick of itself.The animation is amazing & there are some incredibly good set pieces,this film has done to Batman plus others,as Life Of Brian did with anything to do with the Romans.

A huge amount of fun & very very funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spaceshiiip!!!...., 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The idea of a Lego movie really didn't entice my enthusiasm one Iota, and the trailer was even more discouraging.

But i'm here to say that this is one of the funniest, sweetest, family films I've seen in a while.

The premise is simple, a prophecy is held stating that a special master builder will find a piece that will defeat lord business, and stop him from destroying the world.

Jump eight and a half years later, we meet Emmet, an ordinary man who follows the instructions by the book, and goes unnoticed by his work colleagues and pretty much everyone in general.

That is until he spots a stranger around the building site, and he discovers the sacred piece, and a policeman who's less than friendly....

Suddenly his life changes forever....

First and foremost its a kids movie, but its a film for everyone. Not one of those movies that has separate jokes for adults, but one that the whole family can laugh at/with.

And the reason why the film works, is because it's just so bonkers that you cannot help but love it. One minute we have a wonderful Batman being cocky toward everybody, or Superman trying to avoid The Green Lantern, or Han Solo trying to find a party, to Milhouse.

There's something here for everyone. The voice work is brilliant, and even though the leads are brilliant Neeson steals the movie from everyone as his bad cop/good cop hybrid.

The adventure goes from world to different world, and each world carries a vast array of colour and character, but that's not the joker up the movies sleeve.

The final third spins the whole film on its head, and turns it into a totally different film that you were watching for seventy five minutes.

Its clever, funny, and most of all, touching.

Well worth seeing with the whole family, and see it before people tell you the secret....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those rare movies that's equally entertaining to kids and adults, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
We saw this movie because my 8-year-old said, "Daddy, can we go see The Lego Movie?!" so away we went.

So to the question of entertainment value, as I said in the subject line, the adults and kids both seemed highly entertained. We were in a full theatre and one gentleman in particular seemed to be outrageously entertained with his incontinent guffawing. The kids were, of course, entertained enough and the movie had humor working on all levels from the youngest kids to the adults, though nothing REALLY adult, if you get my drift.

As to production quality of the movie, I was extremely impressed with the level of visual detail. I had assumed that since the Lego world is, of necessity, rather low resolution, that the movie might be clunky but they didn't shy away from high-definition situations. Seeing Legos animated into an undulating ocean, explosions, fire or billowing smoke and dust was particularly surprising. In a similar vein, if you go see this movie be sure you keep an eye on the stuff going on in the background. I noted several scenes in which what was going on behind the focal point of the camera was at least as entertaining as what was going on in front.

Lastly, on the topic of actually learning something, this movie was surprisingly deep. On the surface there was a profound lesson on the value of individuality vs working as a team. Often in children's movies the themes crow constantly about being your own person and doing your own thing but this one has a strong streak teaching the value of working together and accomplishing more than any set of individuals working separately could. Later in the film, parents get a strong admonition about letting kids be kids and practice their individual creativity rather than trying to get kids to fit into strict parental expectations. All in all lot to learn here.

In summary, Izzy said, "Best movie Ever!" but then she always says that. On my part I wouldn't say best movie ever but it had a lot to say, was technically well executed and featured lots of famous voices that parents will recognize. I'm not sure what more you could want than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego crazy, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
This very amusing and imaginative film from the makers of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs absolutely delighted the children in our auditorium, to the point where one kid cried out, “This is the best film EVER!” I wouldn’t go that far, but in the afterglow of Pixar’s Golden Age, it’s definitely one of the better ones.

The plot concerns Emmet Brickowski, an everyman (voiced by Chris Pratt) – everyfigure? – thrust into the role of “Master Builder”, on a quest to vanquish the dastardly Lord Business (Will Ferrell). Business, president of Octan Corporation and the world, intends to glue everyone in their place. Emmet and his crew are out to stop him through the power of ideas – e.g. building and re-building stuff. It’s a modern American story, initially about individualism and entrepreneurism, and later about cooperation; sort of an anti-superhero film, with a light subversive streak.

The plot is fairly generic, but there are numerous surreal interludes throughout the film. Mostly these are enjoyable (I loved the visual allusion to 2001: A Space Odyssey), but there are certain ‘fourth wall’ scenes toward the end of the film that I found a bit sinister. I mean, obviously the film is an advert for Lego, but is there really a need to make the marketing so manipulative? The “Man Upstairs” scenes unashamedly employ soft-focus sentimentality to associate the product directly with parental love. Obviously young kids aren’t going to care much about the ideological use of marketing, but I think the otherwise perfectly laudable message of the film was enough without these overwrought scenes.

Now, back to the good stuff.

I don’t know what methods were used to create the look of The Lego Movie, and now I’ve seen it I don’t want to know. It may be all CG, but it has the look of stop-motion. It has a charming jerky grace which is unique in modern mainstream animation. The action scenes are frame-hoppingly chaotic, but I think this works nicely, capturing the way that children arrange their toys in tableaux (although they probably wouldn’t use the word “tableaux”).

In the main role, Pratt plays the part with dorky charm, while Ferrell channels his best Mugato as the villain. Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson are on rare loose form as Vitruvius and Bad Cop/Good Cop respectively. My personal favourite is Batman, played by Will Arnett as a bitter, self-absorbed bully.

Product tie-ins could well be the shape of things to come, and if they can always be this smart and funny then I say bring them on. Manufacturers have made toys based on films for decades. This time it’s simply being done the other way around – and it proves that the result needn’t be Transformers.

4.0 out of 5 stars (almost) Everything is Awesome., 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
In which two global enterprises combine to present a film about how bad business is. To the extent that the bad guy is called..... Business. A 100+ minuite advert for a product that people pay to see? And it's bleeding Lego! which doesn't lend itself to animation or warmth, or a suspension of disbelief.The signs ain't good. Is this what we fought the punk wars for? Justifiably low expectations then, a couple of hours of my life I am not gonna get back? This is going to have to deliver on several levels to be even acceptable. I've SEEN Pokemon 3 - I KNOW how bad these things can get.

(There will now be a short pause whilst this writer swallows his pride, and eats his words.)

Thank you for your patience.

On every level this film delivers like no other. It is witty, sharp, funny- very VERY funny in so many places. It is fast paced- to such an extent that some of the sequences are just dizzying. The quality of animation is out of this world. It is simply sensational, the best there has ever been. After the first five minuites I treated this movie no different to any other animated movie- you buy into it, and go with it and unless it jars, you immerse yourself in it. Except I couldn't help thinking from time to time "This is LEGO" which just made it even better. The Ocean sequences, the "flames" everything was proper lego propely animated.

Some of the characterisation is, shall we say, 2 dimensional. You know, an obvious good guy, an obvious bad guy, and an obvious love interest, but it's a kids movie, so that's ok..

Some of the characterisation however, isn't. Lego Batman, who gets some of THE best lines in the whole thing, is just the revelation of the film for me. He is just side splittingly funny, and one of his payoffs to his girlfriend is worthy of putting on a t shirt. "If our relationship is to grow, you just have to let me party for days with a bunch of guys I've never met. So Long. I WILL text you." Liam Neesons Good Cop Bad Cop (one of them a dead ringer for Eric "respect my AUTHORITAAAAAH" Cartman) is quite frankly, brilliant.

It isn't all great. There are a couple of moments that quite frankly could have ben done better with a bit more thought (the table sequence, the final Batman sequence) but when you put them up against the frenzied building sequence with everyone yelling for parts Just Like Kids Really Do, with Batman going "Any Black ones, I need. I only work with black. Or very dark grey." Or the priceless joyful yelling of "Spaceship. Spaacceeshipppp" (i won't explain. you will know.) The downsides are very minor. I could have done with a different last 20 mins, but what the hell. I'm sold. Sometimes you just have to accept that when corporate works- Ant and Dec, Vodaphone, The Lego Movie- it works exceedingly well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 July 2014
Everything Is Awesome

The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014]
The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] by Chris McKay (DVD - 2014)
9.99