4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth renting
I almost didn't watch this due to negative feedback, but glad I did. I enjoy films based on true life and especially those that fall in the biography category. i found it a great watch, perhaps because I don't know much about princess Grace's life, die hard modern historians will no doubt pick it apart, but I found it a moving watch.

I may even watch a second...
Published 2 months ago by Charlotte

2.0 out of 5 stars Once is enough
Published 6 months ago by My Honest

2.0 out of 5 stars Once is enough, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Grace Of Monaco [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Despite the negative reviews this film had received I thought I would give it a go as I have always had a soft spot for Nicole Kidman. It had some good moments and is very well shot but overall it was a bit dull and irritating. I can see where the critics where coming from when they said it it hard to feel sorry or sympathies for people from Monaco. The acting was okay. Kidman and Roth are believable enough but you never really get the feeling that they love each other. Also the up close shots of her face were unnecessary. One performance however that I will praise in Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Alfred Hitchcock. The look almost identical!

The political parts where okay but maybe could have had more punch. The film was dragged out a little and by the end I was waiting for it to finish. I will go as far to say that if I had watched it at home with adverts to interrupt I may have struggled to get to the end.

Not as big of a disaster as the critics would have you believe but still a poor film. I predict a Razzie nomination or two but there are worse films out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth renting, 15 Oct 2014
Charlotte (Dalgety bay, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I may even watch a second time but perhaps not a keeper. At least rent it for a viewing.

1.0 out of 5 stars A really bad movie, 13 Oct 2014
One of the worst movies of the year. Kidman is so badly directed and looks harsh and like she has overdone it with plastic surgery. She has nothing of Grace Kelly's elegance and natural charm. Possibly in the top 10 of worst movies ever.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very engaging, 24 Oct 2014
It was Ok....I love biographies, but this was not as interesting as I thought it would be. I suppose a millionaires daughter marrying a prince would have a few ups and downs, and she supported him well. Nicole was stunning as ever and was Tim Roth. Would not bother to suggest it to anyone really.

1.0 out of 5 stars it's simply terrible. Avoid at all costs & rent at your ..., 22 Oct 2014
Lil Troll (West Midlands England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grace Of Monaco [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I'm sorry but not even the Monaco backdrop, soft focus & fabulous couture can mask this film for what it is .. and it's utterly awful. I've no idea how an actor of Tim Roth's calibre was even persuaded to come on board.... it's simply terrible. Avoid at all costs & rent at your peril.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Interest., 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Grace Of Monaco [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this very informative film although my husband found some of it a little bit heavy regarding the politics in it. He is a big fan of Nicole Kidman but this made it difficult for him because although he has many films of hers this was one he could not take her as Grace Kelly but just kept seeing her as herself. I on the other hand became engrossed in the political goings on and was amazed that I did not know what was happening in those days. I do wonder though why this did not have good reviews especially from the family. I can only assume that it was because it shows a bad side to some of the family but to that I say there are many families who have bad pennies in them and shame should not cloud the truth if this is what it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Have the grace to at least see it before you slate it!, 6 Jun 2014
Matthew J. Parker "the legend writes:" (Todmorden, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grace Of Monaco [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
It's difficult to know where to begin to review 'Grace of Monaco'. The critically derided biopic of the actress Grace Kelly currently has just a 3% rating on 'rottentomatoes' and is being compared to the equally slated 'Diana'. Personally I didn't find it to be just as bad as 'Diana' but there's still a lot at fault here.

The story basically revolves around Grace being coaxed back to Hollywood by Alfred Hitchcock after marrying Prince Rainier of Monaco a few years before, whilst at the same time Monaco is under threat of having to pay taxes or face the threat of bombing by France led by Charles DeGaulle. When you see the lifestyle on display here you cannot actually feel sorry for their predicament and feel that a bit of taxation would probably not be much of a loss.

The main faults of the film lay largely in the direction and the writing. Ill advised long lasting extreme close ups of Nicole Kidman's eyes and nose whilst she's talking are just irritating, and there's quite a lot of noticeable camera shake - though this seems to be a constant in may films today. Also, at no time do we feel that we are in 1961 instead of 2014, but that again my be because of the wealth on display. It's easy to see why the people of Monaco didn't look favourably on Grace because of this lavish lifestyle.

Cast wise all the principals are actually fine but they never go above that because of the overblown and melodramatic script they have to deliver, however one exception is Geraldine Somerville as Rainiers sister who is completely shocking throughout. It's good to spy the odd British character actor too like Robert Lindsay and Derek Jacobi.

Unlike Diana this film could well turn into a bit of a cult classic, thanks to characters like Hitchcock and the boo hissable Charles DeGaulle. His line 'I will send Monaco back to the dark ages' should have been finished off with manic laughter to round off the pantomine caricatures.

Proof that sometimes critics follow each other like sheep to end up destroying a film, Grace of Monaco deserves some recognition for what it is rather than what we are told to believe, though that still doesn't mean it's very good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Directing, 25 Oct 2014
Strange movie, mostly close up's of Nicole Kidman's over botoxed face,which just didn't move. Couldn't understand why or
what they were trying to get across about Princess Grace's life, I think they should have started from the beginning of her film career, not just somewhere in the middle of it and her marriage. Bad directing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A snap shot, 15 Oct 2014
A beautifully shot film that didn't really live up to my expectations. Good performances from a great cast, but let down by the script,which didn't really do justice to it's subject matter and dramatic event.
Still worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ms Kidman has the grace to be Grace, 8 Nov 2014
Mrs. L. Evans - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I really enjoyed this film; Nicole Kidman gave a great performance as the fledgling princess who transformed into the matriarch of Monaco. Tim Roth was an odd choice for Rainier, yet somehow it worked - he's just such a fine actor.

The settings - as one would expect - were sumptuous as it was set in Monaco; and when you have someone of Ms Kidman's calibre, a big budget is guaranteed.

It showed us mere mortals that fairytales aren't always what they seem to be.

Grace Of Monaco [DVD] [2014]
Grace Of Monaco [DVD] [2014] by Olivier Dahan (DVD - 2014)