4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe One Day, 9 May 2014
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maybe One Day (Paperback)
Books about serious illnesses have a weird pull for me. I know they will be difficult and emotional for me to read, but I also like to push myself to confront the things in books that I find very hard to talk about in real life. This is why I read books such as Maybe One Day - I know they will hit close to home and make me reflect upon things in my own life, but using them as a catalyst helps me work through my own personal emotions.

Olivia and Zoe have a once-in-a-lifetime kind of friendship. Their personalities are very different, but they compliment each other, and their lifelong obsession with dance binds them even closer together, and this relationship is what I loved most about this book - their relationship feels very real, and the emotions that Zoe goes through during Olivia's illness are very realistically portrayed. Although the story is told from Zoe's perspective, her interactions with Olivia, Olivia's family and her own family tell their story too - and all their reactions felt very real and emotional.

However, I did have one issue with Zoe's character - and it's when she makes a rather nasty generalisation about a group of kids at her school, and then just a few pages later states that she hates gender generalisations. It's a small moment, but it really bugged me, and I found it more difficult to connect with Zoe from then on.

What I did like is that Cantor pulls no punches when it comes to Zoe's emotional reactions to the situation - she moves through different stages of anger, sadness and acceptance, whilst still standing by her best friend's side.

The synopsis hints heavily at a relationship, but it actually plays a very small part in the story - this book is much more focused on friendship and the emotions of having someone you love being diagnosed with a serious, life-threatening illness. Zoe shows real strength as a character in putting Olivia's needs before her own, and making her the number one priority in her life.

Apart from my one issue with Zoe, this is a book that had a huge emotional impact on me - in fact I forgot to take notes whilst I was reading, but everything came flooding back once I re-read the synopsis. It's a story about friendship and growing up, learning to accept things that cannot be changed and making the most of every moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad, but so Good!, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Maybe One Day (Hardcover)
17-year-old Zoe and Olivia have been best friends since the age of four when they began taking ballet together, and even after they got kicked out of their ballet class, they still stayed just as close.
Then one day Olivia phones Zoe with bad news – she has leukaemia. Now it’s a waiting game.
Can Olivia recover from the leukaemia? Will she need a bone marrow transplant? And will she ever be the same again?

This book was so sad, that I really just cannot stop crying.

I loved both Zoe and Olivia in this story. Both loved each other so fiercely, and both were really passionate about dance, even if Zoe couldn’t admit it at times.

The storyline in this was really good. The whole thing flowed so nicely, and was just so real. The emotions and the way things happened just felt so realistic and believable.
This was a sad story though, a really sad story. The last 10% just killed me, and even now I can’t stop crying. I really just fell in love with the characters in this book, and couldn’t help but be upset by how this book ended.
This really is a tearjerker, but it’s so good it’s worth the emotional turmoil!
Overall; sad, but good.