4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read

Published 17 months ago by Les

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars really not very good, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
The title of the book intrigued me so I began to read. At first the crashing defeats and the idea of Nazi Germans in England held my interest . Bur only foe the first few chapters! The lack of detail in the various battles was very obvious and the poor level of aviation knowledge was all to apparent with the RAF still flying Meteors whilst the Luftwaffe had supersonic Me270s and Ju290 s. All too often the phrase "jet propelled " was deemed sufficient to imply advanced tech aircraft. On the land and sea the story is just as poor with far to much use of the word "weapons " without mentioning what weapons they were. And what was Spike Milligan and Harry Secomb doing in a tank. (Apart from getting killed after ten paragraphs) . I am sorry to rubbish the book so thoroughly but it really was not a good read. Only a desire to see how the war ended drove me on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea...but avoid, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
I stuck with it until 45℅ read then I had to delete it from my Kindle. Reading it was making me depressed.

There is very little sense that the author knows anything at all about weapons, the military or warfare. Unfortunately in a novel that is pramarily about a war this lack of knowledge is reflected by the characters and by the action scenes. When a supposed soldier talks about 'all their gray tanks' as supposed demonstration of the power of the Wermacht....then you know you have a problem.

A shame, because the basic premise is good.

Other than that the style, while clear, was simplistic..almost as though it was written for early teens.

Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
I only wish I had read all the reviews before downloading this tripe. Probably one of the worst books I have ever read. Try doing some proper research in future. Thank God I only borrowed it from the Kindle store

1.0 out of 5 stars Kenwil, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the book in general terms but a European conflict written about by an American author is full of annoying Americanisms. The authors infatuation with the word massive for instance clearly shows that he does not understand the meaning of the word ie. A massive map. That and the suspect technology attributed to 1950 made me downgrade its star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK If you think science fiction, not alternative history., 8 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
Interesting premise but not really held together.
I only started to enjoy it when I began to treat it as I would reading science fiction.
I know a lot about the technical details of the aircraft, tanks and ships of the period and did not feel this was handled well or realistically.
However I felt the author has a good grasp of the political and economic history and realities of the scenario.
As soon as you start to change history, particularly as much as this, it unravels the time line and becomes science fiction, not alternative history.
In the end I enjoyed it and would reccomend it for anybody who enjoys military science fiction style storys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 24 July 2014
Robert E Shedd (Shipley, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
An interesting and engaging alternate history novel. I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to any World War Two or history buff. One point to make though- in this version of events did Bletchley Park and Ultra not exist? One could assume that we never cracked the Enigma code in this timeline otherwise we would have had ample warning of any German plans to invade. Did anyone else spot the problem with the "German" tank on the front cover? Kinda looks like a Russian T34 to me...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !!!, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
I love all of Mr. Nuttall's non science fiction books. Sorry but I have a complete blind spot to science fiction (not real) books. This was an excellent read,and hope that he delivers more of the same..Please Mr.Nuttall, no more space invader stuff,stick to this genre,this is where you excell !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Over written and poor characterisation, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
Nuttall starts out with a fascinating premise and draws in a range of interesting historical characters. Unfortunately, those that he introduces of his own to tell the story 'from on the ground' are poorly drawn and we never really care about them. A good editor would have advised trimming and tightening the book up and also, removing the use of names of real people for minor characters such as Spike Milligan (in his 'Ronnel, Gunner Who?' mode) and Harry Seacombe!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, maybe not quite there., 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
Took me a long time to read this book, mainly because I kept losing interest but also because some of the passages depicting occupation were very real and frightening.
In the end I enjoyed the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable what if?, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Invasion of 1950 (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book, good believable characters, strong plot lines, well executed, it is similar in some respects to Andy Johnsons Seelowe Nord which I think is also an excellent read.

The Invasion of 1950