My daughter has just brought home a sparkly unicorn, and I am very afraid...

Published 17 months ago by James Kemp

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm
Only three stars! Just really could not get into the story, the writing style doesn't match my reading style. Others may like it, whilst it's free give it a go everyone is different in what they like to read.
Published 10 months ago by DjD

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter has just brought home a sparkly unicorn, and I am very afraid..., 2 Nov. 2013
James Kemp (Merstham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Equoid: A Laundry novella: A Tor.Com Original (Laundry Files) (Kindle Edition)
My daughter has just brought home a sparkly unicorn, and I am very afraid...

This is a Laundry files short story featuring Bob Howard. In this outing Bob has to deal with a report from a well qualified DEFRA vet who harbours suspicions of a potential outbreak of Equoids. The file Bob is given as briefing contains the letters of one HP Lovecraft that tell of HPL's own experience of contact with an Equoid outbreak.

This is a highly entertaining story that provides a twist on unicorns and gives them an interesting life cycle which is truly horrific. It also has some laugh out loud points too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A shaggy horse story?, 4 Nov. 2013
James C. Foreman (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
I was bewildered to find Stross had managed to shoehorn in multiple references to my favourite band, Half Man Half Biscuit, to a tale of angler-fish-like unicorns set in the horrid countryside of the Home Counties. East Grinsted is bad enough without eldritch, squamous and rugose horrors. Maybe next he'll have a go at Croydon.

Equoid is set before the fourth Laundry novel (The Fuller Memorandum) and at first it's a funnier piece than the way the Laundry novels have been heading. They started off as lighthearted fun for office inmates surrounded by Lovecraftian beasts, and, as the cycle has gone on, have become progressively doomier. Equoid starts feeling like one of the earlier stories, but it has a dark heart to it, despite all the clever allusions to H.P.Lovecraft, Cold Comfort Farm, Half Man Half Biscuit and everything that I assume went over my head.

For the most part it's fun and entertaining, and then in its final pages it approaches 'proper' horror again, so it's not the lighthearted read one might have expected, but it's still worthwhile.

I did feel it was oversalted with in-jokes though. One Half Man reference is amusing, two feels a little gratuitous. Then again, perhaps for non-aficionados of obscure British indie pop, those references may have passed by unnoticed - I'm not sure what else I've missed. Perhaps a lexicon is going to be required for future reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Laundry Files meets Lovecraft, 2 Nov. 2013
Excellent book, with a lovely mashup with HP Lovecraft

Well recommended for all who enjoy the Laundry Files

Keep up the good work Mr. Stross

5.0 out of 5 stars you'll never look at "my little pony" the same way again, 28 Oct. 2013
Craig W Smith (Mount Florida Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bob Howard has been asked to look into something "mildly embarrassing", something that would only be of interest to 8 year old girls. He's going to wish all that was true, because it's so much worse than that. Sometimes fairy tale creatures are real and vicious and ... Evil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stross belter...., 24 Oct. 2013
What can I possibly say ...... having read all the Laundry series so far how does he keep doing it... even though it is only a novella it had me gripped from start to finish .... I'm looking forward to the next story in the series..... and yes I don't think I'll look at another unicorn in the same way to

5.0 out of 5 stars so not "my little pony....", 19 Oct. 2013
Bits of this actually made me laugh out loud. I feel kind of guilty about that.
One very minor point- Interspersing the developing plot with the letters and procurement requirements caught me out at first, I thought there was a segment missing when one piece started with (cont) and I had to flick back to check I'd not missed a foot note or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filling in the gaps, 17 Oct. 2013
I really enjoyed this - I'll never look at a unicorn the same way again. Creepy.

I also really enjoyed more rounding out of the laundry universe, could this contain a foreshadow of a future novel. I don't know but it is very exciting.

I'd already read this on tor, then I bought it. This was apparently inspired by a trip to the pub. Buy the man more trips to the pub. Please. For all our sakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold Comfort Farm meets HP Lovecraft with a dash of Terry Pratchett, 19 Oct. 2013
Matthew Stibbe (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've always enjoyed Charlie Stross's horror-comedy novels and this short, cheap novella is as good as the rest. Not the best to start with perhaps but a treat for fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkly rainbow unicorns?, 25 Sept. 2014
J D Taylor (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
You will never look at a Unicorn in the same way again.. Only Charles Stross can combine Unicorn mythology with Lovcraftian story telling...

As well crafted as his other Laundry books, we have another short story for Bob Howard sys-admin and computational demonologist. Something is wrong in ruralshire. Why would a stable for retired police horses need meat? Bob gets called in to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift Horse, 11 July 2014
Being a fan of The Laundry File this rating possibly is no surprising. Stross continues to amuse and chill with literary connections and existential horror in the face of even more gruesome bureaucracy.
The story moves along nicely and is an absorbing read to fill an afternoon