5.0 out of 5 stars Austen lives
Published 8 months ago by J. Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars good quality
I suppose I wanted more from the storyline, so a little disappointed, very close to the original version in its story line, but not of Austin's quality.
Published 3 months ago by sandie mcmurray

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen lives, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Darcy's Tale, Volume I: Into Hertfordshire (Kindle Edition)
It was excellent. I was transported back to the world of Elizabeth and Darcy. To hear the story from the other side was entrancing. I don't know personally what it is about Austen that is so all absorbing but she is and Hurd has managed to bring the world back to life with the same level of lightness and attention to the mores of the time. He has filled in many holes about Darcy and he has found an explanation to a great deal of the background of the story from Darcy's side. The language was excellent, the tone was excellent and nothing jarred with me. I mean lots jarred with me but that has more to do with the time and the manners than Hurd's writing. I have read quite a few "follow on" stories now. Mostly they have felt like Barbara Cartland or Georgette Heyer had written them, with no more attention to the customs of the times than a mere cursory look. This book, however is a delight. I am quite sad that it was only published in August so there will be a time to go until the next installment. I could read it right away now if it were finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it, can't wait for the next two., 18 Oct 2013
Much of the fiction based upon existing literature is pretty dire, this however is completely different. Darcy is given a distinct tone and voice that feels very much as Austen wrote him and along with the fact that the book is well researched using appropriate language conventions, it feels tastefully in keeping without feeling contrived or attempting to imitate Austen. The letters between Darcy and Georgianna are nicely done. Also this has been decently proof read, which makes a pleasant change as normally a lot of kindle books are littered with mistakes.
I am looking forward to having all three books so I can read them in parallel to P&P. Is there any indication of release dates for the other two?

5.0 out of 5 stars darcys tale volume one, 18 Sep 2013
without a doubt the best written and most insightful and most enjoyable sequel yet. more please!
darcy revealed as the good and honouabe man he is.

3.0 out of 5 stars good quality, 14 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Darcy, 24 Feb 2014
It is faithful to the original plot and is a diverting read! Wonderful and really enjoyed it, did not put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars great interpretation, 19 Feb 2014
I've read a few 'Darcy's stories' but always found them disappointing regurgitations of every scene thst includes Darcy. This book is much more than that. It really fleshes out Darcy and supporting characters. It creates a truly believable and sympathetic back story to justify Darcy's actions. Perhaps this is because it is written by a man, so we get a genuine male perspective. I was a bit doubtful of wading through 3 volumes, but the pace is vey good and I'm looking forward to volumes 2 and 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy, 18 Feb 2014
C. Elmore (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
A joy to read a 'what if' fanfic novel which was not only in keeping with the period (grammar, vocabulary and construction) but also gave Fitzwilliam Darcy's perspective on this timeless love story. Bought volume II immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars The eloquent, deftly woven narrative takes an innovative slant on Austen-esque themes., 14 Feb 2014
Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is a story that has lived on in the hearts and minds of aspiring authors and enthusiastic readers for many years, and so it is a delight to encounter an entirely new rendition of a much loved classic. Stanley Michael Hurd's novel is lovingly crafted with special consideration as to not tarnish the true essence of Austen's creation, or alter it excessively as to reshape it out of all recognition. As an Austen fan I felt comforted by the familiar little details within that link back to P&P, whilst also relishing in the contemporary `feel' and distinct style of this *new* interpretation.

Volume 1 - Into Hertfordshire catches the eye instantly by its exquisite cover; perfectly suited for the Edwardian/ Victorian bookcase! Darcy's Tale is told with depth of feeling and wrought with such intense passion, so as to encapsulate his situation in life and social obligations that he is bound. Reading this book is like opening a window into the heart of a well-known character, presenting you with such an exclusive new insight and interesting angle as not encountered before.

The depth of his inner turmoils, pain and self-condemnation is a battle expressed so fervently through detailed descriptions and resonating words. Your personal opinions on Fitzwilliam Darcy may greatly alter once you have read this stirring account which projects an entirely unique and evocative, dramatic slant on him.

I loved immersing myself in the splendour of Regency England that was so masterfully brought to life. The atmosphere, the wealth and most of all the social expectations of society were all captured so precisely that it was like being transported back in time. <u>This book is a must read for all fans of Jane Austen</u> and one that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

*I won a copy of `Darcy's Tale: Volume 1 - Into Hertfordshire' by Stanley Michael Hurd through a First-Read giveaway on GoodReads. *

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 10 Feb 2014
I like the fact that it is Darcy's story as written from a man's point of view. It is very engaging and I enjoyed reading it. The only thing that stopped me being disappointed with its ending was knowing there is a Volume II. I feel it should be all 1 book, as this volume doesn't really end, it just stops.... Chrissie

4.0 out of 5 stars Only half way through but loving it!, 29 Oct 2013
I've read loads of this kind of book, some are good, some are so-so and some are dreadful!
This one is really good. I came online to find out if there's a sequel and was so disappointed that it's not yet written.
I'll go back to enjoying it - maybe I'll award the 5th star when I'm finished!