5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe photoshop elements and premiere elements 12 bundle
Published 4 months ago by M. Fowler

Published 4 months ago by Prestonian

5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe photoshop elements and premiere elements 12 bundle, 8 Dec 2013
M. Fowler (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
These products come together on one DVD for Windows based PC's and another DVD for MAC PC's. They are installed easily from one start up menu. However I noted that one reviewer complained that you had to purchase the product again after what was described as this being a trial version. This happened to me too because I entered the supplied serial numbers in one long string. When entering the supplied serial numbers on the first screen there are no dividing boxes between each group of four numbers as is the usual way with ADOBE products, hence I got it wrong. You must enter the dash between each group of four numbers. E.G. 1234-4444-5432-2222-9876. If you do not do this the program requests that you purchase the program again.

Having used most of the Photoshop Elements versions from as early as version 2, this version has come a long way to becoming a very good keen amateur digital image editing tool. If its just image correction and improvement you want a pro good get some good mileage out of this too. Its not just a photo editing program, it will create slide shows, photo books, greeting cards, photo calendars, photo collages, CD and DVD jackets and create great panoramas from individual photos. The workspace has three working options, Quick, Guided and Expert.

Quick working mode is for the novice to get to grips with the basics. Guided, list dozens of tools down one side with an explanation title. Open an image and select the tool and the instructions on how to use it appear in the right side of the workspace. Above the workspace you may choose to see only the results of your adjustments or a view of how the image looks before and after adjustment. The expert mode relies on the user knowing in principle what the tools are used for. Of course there is the on line help too.

There is not a major layout change between version 11 and this current version 12. There are several new enhancement tools and a new tool called 'Content - aware move tool. It allows the user to move an object within an image replacing the background as it is moved. Only plain backgrounds work well with this new tool. There is also a smart tone tool which balances the image tone automatically. Several new guided edits have been included.

There is a problem with this program in the organiser part of it. When I created my first catalogue, I noticed that my PC activity on the hard drive was quite busy even after I closed the program down. It appears there is an option in the preferences to select which 'Media Analysis' options are selected. ADOBE in their wisdom have decided to automatically analyse your photos to determine if they are blurred, shaky, have poor contrast or brightness and many other things. The problem is the process carries on after you shut the program down. It is also difficult to stop, you can go to the task manager find the 'AutoAnalysis.exe' process and kill it, but it will start up again next time you start your PC even though you did not start Elements.

I found a web site that explains how to make changes to the software and your PC to fix it. Here is the link below. It works, I have made the changes to my PC. Apparently if you do not do this change, Premiere will also decide where the clips should be divided too in your video.

[...]

Overall a good product as you would expect from ADOBE.

The Elements Premiere video editing program is relatively new to me. I have used ADOBE premiere many years ago but the upgraded version became too expensive and I have used other products in between times. Having fired this one up, my first impression is I like the layout but I would have liked to see that some of the resource windows like for example transitions are available all of the time. When it pops open it covers the timeline thus covering your edit. You have to make sure that your edit point is not where the window pops open otherwise you cannot apply the transition. I discovered there is a bug in the audio transition too. If you click the 'Done' button in the audio transition options window the transition flips to the left clip and not central between two clips. I discovered by googling it that you must click the cross to close the window! Usually clicking the cross in an options windows cancels the options you have chosen, strange.

Apart from that, I like using the program, it has a nice clean interface and id fairly intuitive, good value for money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with the Premiere Elements part of the bundle, 17 Dec 2013
I bought this bundle having used Adobe products for years and always been more than happy with them. The main reason for buying the bundle rather than just the photo editing software was to create a dvd of photos, videos and soundtrack of my son's wedding. This review is based on my use of the Premiere Elements part of the bundle as I have not had the time (see below!) to spend much time with Elements 12 yet.

After a few hiccups, including the program crashing on three occasions, I managed to made good headway on the dvd and saved the project with the intention of adding more content the following day. However, when I tried to open the saved file I kept getting an error message telling me that the file was corrupt and could not be opened! I even updated the software thinking that the bug may have been discovered and a patch written - no such luck. I bit the bullet and started over again. The project was too big to complete in one sitting so I had no alternative but to save the file again - in more than one place - to try and overcome any problems. The following day I had the same problem and when I went online to see if my problem was unique I found that there were quite a few complaints about Premiere Pro doing the same thing. A few suggestions were listed but none of them worked for me with Premiere Elements so I had no choice but to start yet again. This time I kept the project open in the program and did not try to save it. The following day I was lucky and found that it hadn't crashed in the night.

I wanted the soundtrack to play over the photos but used the audio mixer to fade it out so that it didn't play over the video parts of the project. After rendering I played the project through on my computer to make sure that it ran smoothly and that the soundtrack faded out in the right places. Having spent about 20 hours so far redoing it on a number of occasions I wanted to make sure it was right before publishing it to a dvd. It takes a long time to publish to a dvd so I left it running when I went to bed - only to find that the program had crashed during the night and I, yet again, could not open the previously saved files. Another lesson learned!!!

When I finally managed to complete the project again and publish it to dvd I heaved a sigh of relief. Unfortunately, when I played the dvd through I found that it had completely ignored the fade outs on the soundtrack and the music was playing loudly over the videos making it impossible to hear people talking.

With many more hours work and a dollop of good luck, I finally managed to get a passable project onto dvd. Using this software has been a complete nightmare and I won't be rushing to produce anything else with it. I also found that it deteriorated the quality of many of the photos that I included. All in all, a huge let down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Adobe fail!, 30 Nov 2013
M. Widger (UK) - See all my reviews
I would love to be able to write a review of this software, but so far I have failed to get it to even start! Adobe in their infinite wisdom now require you to create an account with them in order to use the software - its not enough to pay good money, enter the serial number and actually be able to use what you've paid for. I already had an Adobe account from a while back, but that one is apparently no longer valid and cannot be used with this software! I hate software that forces you to create yet another unnecessary account that can be hacked from some faceless corporations server. Even after creating a new account, I'm still waiting for their servers to register my new account meaning that I can't use the software until then. Had I know I would have to do this before hand, I would never have purchased this software and stuck with the freeware software packages such as GIMP which are immensely powerful in their own right.

I know Abode will claim this is all in the name of software copyright etc, but this is an annoying step too far.

To be fair to Amazon, the software was delivered in less than 48 hours on the super saver delivery, so I cant fault them, but Adobe have gone too far this time and I will never purchase one of their products again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I the only one that cannot get this to install?, 30 Nov 2013
R. B. Edminson "Robert" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Complete rubbish as it will not install. Keeps coming up with a box saying 'The following application is using files that need to be updated by this setup. Close the applications and click RETRY to continue Elements Auto Analyzer.exe' Sounds sensible BUT it does not tell you what the problem application is. So far I've had 5 attempts at loading this. Will try again tomorrow and if that does not work this rubbish is being returned. Had a break abroad so left it a week to sort out. Tried to load it again and kept getting ERROR 1935. Got hold of Adobe 'CHAT' it took two people and 2 hours to get it to run and that was after they'd had to lead me through various 'Registry Changes'. It is said that there is a compatibilty problem with Windows (I use W7). The techies were very patient and helpful BUT the disk should have run straight away it should NOT be shipped if it does not work. I may now try to summon the strength to use it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not do what it says on the box, 30 Mar 2014
The input of HD movies from my Panasonic camera is of very poor quality. It is shame because Premiere Elements, as a package, is what I was looking for. I shall go back to iMovies. Photoshop Elements - I ask myself why I bothered to upgrade from 9 to 12! A waste of money, I would like my money back as it is does not do what it states it will do on the box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition (PC/Mac), 16 Feb 2014
I bought this for a friend, who tells me that she is really happy with it, still a lot to take in, but getting there slow but sure.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Photoshop Elements Yet, 31 Jan 2014
Having used Photoshop Elements since version 4 this is the worst upgrade yet. Saving edited photographs is a lottery - sometimes it saves them in the Organiser version set, sometimes it doesn't but saves them to the HD file, other times it doesn't save them at all. The whole programme is slow and very flaky. Seriously considering going back to my previous version which worked perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irritating installation procedure, 17 Jan 2014
For the Macintosh version, Adobe have finally provided native 64bit versions of both applications which is great news. I believe that PC users still have a wait on their hands.

The only real irritation is that, in spite of having purchased boxed, physical software with a serial number, Adobe insists on the invasive necessity to create an online Adobe ID before allowing you to install your bought and paid for software on your own hardware.

When attempting to log in using my existing ID, I was informed that I would need to reset my password via an e-mail that took hours to arrive. This comes as a consequence of the huge data breach Adobe experienced last year.

Short version, it took hours to install software because the company demands data that it has been demonstrated to be unable to protect!

Interface is more than a bit crowded on a non-retina 13" MBP

3.0 out of 5 stars Well priced, easy to use but why do so many tools only work on 8 bit images?, 9 Jan 2014
1. Pixel based editing.
I bought this excellent value bundle to open recent camera RAW files that my CS4 version of Photoshop cannot open. It does this very well. I would probably have used this program for the majority of my editing but many of the basic pixel based editing tools (eg clone) only work with 8 bit files rather than 16 bit. Clearly Adobe don't want to loose Photoshop sales to Elements but in doing so they may have lost out as there are now several much more capable image editors than Elements for less money.

I am obviously trying to avoid the expensive subscription only Photoshop Creative Cloud. On my Mac I have now found that Pixelmator makes an excellent full featured Photoshop replacement for pixel based editing (it is very fast) and it only cost 21. So I rate Photoshop Elements 3* and Pixelmator 5*

2. File management/basic exposure and colour balance tools.
Lightroom is not much more expensive than Photoshop Elements and is a much better file management tool than Photoshop Elements. It has essentially the same RAW file import/basic editing tool that Elements has.

The combination of Lightroom 5 and Pixelmator 3.0 gives a much more capable bundle on a Mac than Photoshop Elements 12 for less than double the price.

If you only want to edit low resolution jpeg files, I would give Photoshop Elements 4*

3.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements 12 for MAC, 31 Dec 2013
I got this as a replacement to Elements 11 mainly beceause of 64 bit support. This has allowed elements to recognise my 8GB of RAM. This has reduced the amount of spinning beach ball when scrolling through thumb nails, but it has not gone away completely.

Also in Elements 11 when an edited picture was saved back to the organiser there was a long period of spinning beach ball, whilst the catalogue updated it self and this problem seems to have gone in Elements 12.

However the organiser is a disaster area on a MAC and is completely uncontrollable with a magic mouse. The slightest up and down or side to side movement of your finger on the top of the mouse sends the thumb nails whizzing all over the place. Even when you click to enlarge they can jump and you end up with the wrong image. I have bought a wheel mouse to be able to control it. Why can't Adobe fix this so only up and down works and not side to side ? Also they need to reduce sensitivity so that scrolling is more
gentle.

Worse still I imported the catalouge at the time of installation and then uninstalled Elements 11 only to find that many of the tags had been lost from the photos. The tags are there in the list but it just says no photos found when I click on a tag. Yet a manual search found the thumb nail with no tag on it. The images had been previously tagged in Elements 11.

Even more annoying the organiser now adds tags telling you your picture is out of focus, too dark etc. It often gets this wrong ! I have several images in TIFF processed from the same RAW file, some are tagged as out of focus and some tagged as in focus !
Visually that are all sharp.

The face detector that asks "who is this " is just rubbish as it just appears randomly not even on something of round shape that might be mistaken for a face. I even have auto face detect unchecked in the preferences, but it still appears.

I think I will have to abandon the organiser as the repair to the missing tags will take too long and I now use Capture One Express 7 for my RAW's and use Elements 12 Editor for things that can't do.

The Elements editor is as good as ever, but I can't comment on the Premier part as I don't do video. Without 64 bit support for PC's
it's not worth the upgrade and I might not buy again for the MAC until Adobe fixes the organiser !

ARRAY(0xb34a52c4)

Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition (PC/Mac) by Adobe Systems (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
62.99