Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

on 14 December 2013
I love this album. Cigdem Aslan's voice communicates something beyond the words, something of the spirit of rebetiko. But the CD has translations of all the songs and excellent notes, which really opens the door on them. Some are quite funny. Some are just beautiful. The band is top class and there are some fine solos, particularly on kanun and clarinet. It's amazing that such a great album of old Greek and Turkish songs should be recorded in London, but it's not surprising to learn that it was selected as an Album Of The Year 2013 by Songlines Magazine and is appearing in a number of end of year charts. Even if you've never had a holiday on a Greek island or explored the back streets of Istanbul or Athens, this album will take you there in an instant.
on 26 February 2014
Someone commented that this was like Greek pop music, I think... Well, it share roots, but is distinguishable from run-of-the-mill Greek music by the line-up of traditional instruments played at a very high level of skill & musicianship. My only slight criticism is that it perhaps misses some of the rawness & rough edges of early rebetika - but it is still a very fine CD!
on 3 January 2014
A wonderful compilation of Greek and Turkish songs, sang from the heart, by a very talented woman, accompanied by a very talented band. I grew up with some of these songs and now live abroad. Wvery time I listen to this CD I am fuill of warm nostalgia!
on 12 October 2013
I have just read reviews in the Telegraph and Guardian. Their 3 stars make this sound like an average product. I think it is beautiful. Nice and easy on the ear just like a Turkish Bollywood. Cigdem sings the music perfectly. I thoroughly recommend.
0Comment4 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2013
Great vibes, Turkic feel, great rythms, gorgeous singing. Excels on all counts even the most flattering of newspaper and online reviews. Thank you!
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2015
Perfect.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2015
like it
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2013
I know Cigdem Aslan, I was at the launch Mortissa in London. I had my figers crossed this would be great and she didn't disappoint me