4.0 out of 5 stars Treat everything separate

There are 3 main drawbacks
1 - they do not provide a Windows app for windows phones
Published 9 months ago by C J Aitchison

4.0 out of 5 stars Treat everything separate, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: OWL Intuition-CW Wireless Room Thermostat Internet Programmable Central Heating WiFi Web Based Network Temperature Controller Energy Monitor Inspire Heatmiser (Personal Computers)
I love to take technology by the horns and this is one product that definitely gave me an exiting ride. After removing all the separate boxes I connected up The Network Owl, easy, Then I replaced the back plate for the existing boiler controller with the supplied one and pulled the battery tab out. I paired it with the Network Owl, I then unpacked the Remote sensor and somewhere this is where it all went wrong. So with no heating I emailed support as there is no telephone number (fail). Within minutes I had someone on the phone. He walked me through the process of treating each item separately not as a package. First The Network owl needs setting up, simples, then the relay unit needs pairing up to the network owl, then the remote sensor needs pairing up with network owl then, not very obvious for me, the relay unit and the remote sensor need pairing up with each other and after each step you need to log in to the dashboard and check. What a lot of pairing!! Well lets say I am a IT engineer with 22 years experience and it took a technical support advisor over one hour to get it up and running.

All this said it is worth the wait. If you love graphs and gadgets then this is for you. Within 8 hours of installing it was already working its magic. I set up the temperatures and the times I wanted them, which I will add means if you want it to be 20 degrees by 7am then that is what you enter. The unit does the rest, It was 7 degrees outside this morning and the heating started up an hour before to get the house up to the programmed temperature at the time I wanted it. No second guessing anymore. I have taken a look at the graph now and it shows each time the boiler was on so I can check if it is running on a night when we are all safely tucked up in bed. I will agree with other reviews, both the android and IOS apps need a lot of work to make them as engaging as the web site but what a great start and great support. May be a customer support telephone number would be a good idea?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 3 Mar 2014
Rob Elmour (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
I have had it controlling my combi boiler for about 6 weeks now and I'm very pleased with it so far. I also bought an OWL Micro+ energy monitor at the same time and that integrates seamlessly, providing me with electricity consumption stats via the same web interface as the heating control.

It was very easy to set up. Even the "relay unit", which is physically wired into the combi boiler in place of a timer switch and/or thermostat, though I'd recommend taking a photo of your original wiring before disconnecting the old timer switch. The terminals on the OWL unit had the same labels as the ones on timer switch it replaced. The room thermostat is battery operated and once the batteries are in, it just goes. In fact it was a couple of days before I got around to attaching mine to the wall but it worked fine while sat on a shelf in the living room. The manufacturers reckon the 2x supplied AAA batteries will last 12 to 18 months.

The "network OWL" wi-fi control unit is surprisingly small and neat and simply plugs into your router. Once you've registered it with the OWL website, you can access your OWL devices from anywhere via the internet using your OWL login credentials.

The system is quite robust as the thermostat and relay unit have some built in memory/intelligence and will keep working quite happily, even if the Network OWL control unit becomes unavailable.

The software is easy to use and works well on both PC/tablet and mobile phone, though it was clearly written with mobile phone in mind.

All in all a great gadget, well built, quite slick looking and genuinely useful. I can't imagine going back to my old timer/room thermostat set up now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 8 Jan 2014
Simon R. Howroyd "GreenGiant" (Loughborough, England) - See all my reviews
Simply awesome to be able to see everything online. The phone app is a bit pants, but I just go on the online version rather than using the app anyway.
I have just added this to mu current intuition-pv solar panel monitor to this setup. Really impressive and useful.
My major criticism is that it is a serious pain trying to wirelessly pair the various units. My suggestion if you're struggling is to do a factory reset of everything, and go from there. I honestly think it is well worth the hassle though as once it is done, that's it, all singing all dancing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product with excellent customer support. Will immediately save money on heating bills., 24 Oct 2014
Brilliant product. We have installed it to control heating in our holiday home. Already it should be saving us money as we can now control the heating remotely. The temperature graph of the thermostat temperature also provides an exact record of the temperature at any time and helps to establish just how much heating is required.
On installation there was a set up problem that was not immediately noticed. The Owl helpline could not have been more helpful and even although we were not at the house and it was late on a Friday evening, the technician logged in overnight and corrected the set up, such that the whole system was up and running by first thing Saturday morning. Cannot commend such service more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flexible control, 16 Aug 2014
Very useful. Does what it says. Allows monitoring and control of heating and electricity (solar and domestic) remotely with addition of appropriate sensors. Has saved gas heating costs by allowing more flexible control - when absent from home and ensuring return to a warm house without a fixed schedule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome kit, 1 April 2014
I love my owl system, been working for a while now and love being in control at all time and viewing the house temp away from home.

As I am at home at irregular times having remote control of the heating saves me money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall it works and as I never had a thermostat on my boiler I am getting that benefit at least., 20 Jan 2014
There are 3 main drawbacks
1 - they do not provide a Windows app for windows phones
2 - the feature where the heating comes on earlier to ensure the comfort temperature is reached on time seems to be fairly basic. it does come on earlier but there is no change in the length of time depending on the external temperature. I was expecting that if it was a little bit colder than usual it would switch on 30mins before and if it was a lot colder it would switch on 2 hours before (or whatever time scales it sees fit for allowing the heating system to be 'dynamically optimised'. My experience is that it just switches on about 45mins before if the target temperature is below the current temperature.
Perhaps there needs to be some user fine tuning.... however there doesn't seem to be much of an explanation of how to achieve this in the manuals
3- the design of the units is fairly basic, thankfully I don't have to look at them!

I would definitely recommend these types of device, however I would suggest that people check out other manufactures first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very good but could be amazing!!!!!!!!!!, 30 Oct 2013
I would like to start by saying that the customer service at Owl was spot on they guided me through a problem i had and got me up and running quickly.

Secondly this does exactly what it says it will nothing more nothing less.

Thirdly it just requires a room stat that tells you what temp the room is on a screen rather than having to look on my smartphone all the time and also an option to change the temperature you require via smartphone or even on the roomstat (i know that you can press boost and it will boost for one hour at a higher temp).

Other than that its simple but effective and i would say buy it!

love turning my heating up before i leave work :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with further potential, 27 Nov 2013
The product works very well, in particular being able to login from any PC globally and change heating timings. Given the amount you spend on this, versus an equivalent seven day RF controller (which are nearly as expensive as this), you get a lot for your money here.

The only area it lacks in is the apps really need an update, especially to include setting schedules in the app, and not have to log on via a web browser. Having a widget for Android would be excellent too.

This is the only reason I have given a four; if and when the apps get an update, this would easily be a five.

Support from The Owl is excellent. I had installation issues and was walked through resolution.