5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CSC Camera, 11 July 2014
Alasdair Wilkie "Alasdair_Wilkie" (Wokingham, UK) - See all my reviews
A brilliant cameras and now my main camera, replacing my Olympus E620. Using the lighter M4/3rds lenses makes a great difference to my back, carrying four or five lenses is in bag, saving about 30% weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera - everything I expected!, 1 Jun 2014
Coming from an 35mm APS-C background, I was wanting something smaller and lighter. I had looked at micro-four-thirds in the past, and the bodies and lenses I saw then were not /that/ much smaller, and there was no EVF, so I didn't buy. This camera is not cheap, but it includes an EVF which is very clear, and almost every other feature under the sun! The fact that the Advance Features manual runs to nearly 400 pages may put some buyers off, but there are simple shooting modes available if you wish. I still find that I'm pressing buttons when I shouldn't, so I do need to be careful and look what the viewfinder is telling me. I'm only a week into using the camera so I have a lot to learn about it. I am expecting the battery not to last as long as on a 35mm DSLR, so I also bought a lower-cost spare battery. I bought the 20mm pancake lens for lower-light use, and the "kit" of camera and lens saved some money on buying separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMC-GX7, 22 April 2014
Martin Beecroft "bittmaster" (North Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been (and am still) a user of Canon DSLR cameras over a number of years. I have also used Panasonic compact cameras and a Panasonic camcorder as backup, with very impressive results. I decided to buy the GX7 micro4/3 camera as a backup for my DSLR and as a smaller lighter system for street and travel photography. All the reports and reviews on this camera read well and the retro looks are certainly a head turner. I actually bought the camera from my local high street camera shop although the price is the same on Amazon.

The camera is well constructed and feels solid in the hand. The control buttons are well placed, easy to access and the 4 function buttons can be user programmed if your not satisfied with the factory pre-sets. The wi-fi is a big improvement on previous Panasonic cameras, making it very easy to use an iPhone or most Android mobiles as a remote control. I use an HTC One mobile and had no difficulty setting it up with the camera. The 20mm Panasonic lens is excellent and very fast auto focus. I am awaiting delivery of a 14-42 zoom lens and will be buying a 45-150 soon. Image quality is superb and the whole experience with this camera has convinced me of the merits of the micro 4/3 system, for my photographic requirements anyway. It is so much easier to carry than a full size DSLR when out and about. A special mention must be reserved for the electronic view finder on this camera; it is quite simply superb!

Panasonic have built a real gem with this camera which, I believe, will fulfil the requirements of both amateur and professional photographers alike. IT IS FABULOUS!

UPDATE: I have now been using this camera for a few months and have found it has become my camera of choice in most situations, particularly when going out and about and on a recent holiday on Lanzarote. The results I am getting are fabulously sharp. The camera is a gem to use. I am collecting some nice lenses from Panasonic and Olympus all of which provide good sharp images. I am delighted with this camera that has more than lived up to expectations and is now available from various suppliers at bargain prices. Can't recommend it enough. Fabulous, simply fabulous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Side by Side compared to the G3 (See image in Customer Gallery), 1 Feb 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7EB-S G Series Compact System Camera Body Only - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Update: WEF an update to Photomatix 15 Feb (for me) the software now works perfectly with RAW files from this camera.

UPDATE: If you use Photomatix Pro for HDR using RAW files then read my note I have added at the bottom of this review (02/02/14)
UPDATE: Solving WiFi connection issue when no Access Point found by camera. See bottom of review (02/02/14)

I own a G3 and bought the GX7 as an upgrade and to be able to use my existing lens collection. I have just uploaded an image to the customer gallery which shows an extreme zoom in of photos taken within 5 minutes of each other using exactly the same settings on each camera and lens. I zoomed in using photoshop until the pixels appeared on screen then did a screen capture at this maximum magnification. The settings are in the text of the image.

The bottom line is that in real world conditions the G3 is just as good as the GX7 and in fact is much easier to use. The GX7 is a lovely camera, well built and with a fantastic range of features that the G3 doesn't have. Controlling the camera using my Xperia Z Pad was amazing. The camera itself has a high quality feel in the hand, I find all of the switches and dials easy to locate and use and they are very intuitive.

However, extra features aside, I have found the much cheaper G3 (£249 inc lens) gives results which are just as good as the GX7. In fact I find the metering on the G3 to be better than the GX7 which constantly seems to underexpose by about a stop. (I have checked all settings BTW) I took both cameras out and about around town and took similar photos with both cameras, printed them out and showed them to a couple of friends who are not into photography. Both preferred the photos shot with the G3. I printed straight out of camera without any editing.

If I were on a budget then I would recommend the G3 over the GX7, leaving plenty over to buy a couple of extra lenses. However if I did not have the G3 to compare it to I would have been very happy with the GX7.

The bottom line to me seems to be that what you are paying for is the better build quality and additional features such as WiFi and not for any improvement in image quality. As a side note whenever I have compared my Panasonics to my Sony 18 and 20mp cameras, the Panasonic 16mp always beat them by a light year in image quality. So while I am critical that there is no real difference between the 3 and 7, Panasonic are already starting from a high point anyway.

NOTE ON PHOTOMATIX PRO HDR SOFTWARE

This software has a major issue processing RAW files from this camera. This is not an issue with RAW files produced by the Panasonic G3. The software seems unable to detect the correct white balance and whatever setting you use within the software it generates a strong colour cast. This is not an issue in Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 5 or OnOne Photosuite 8. I have downloaded a trial of Google's HDR Efex Pro 2 and it interprets the GX7 RAW files without any issue, so I guess there is just something in the new Panasonic RAW files that Photomatix cannot cope with. I have contacted technical support to see if they can offer a solution. Update (04/02/14) The developers have confirmed that there is an issue between Photomatix and the GX7 RAW format which they are fixing now and should be released as an update in the very near future.

NOTE ON WiFi not being found by the GX7

If you try to setup WiFi to connect to your home network and the camera cannot detect an access point then you may have a similar issue to me. I use a BT Homehub and I had the WiFi set to automatic channel selection, this allows the router to decide which is the best 'local' channel. I was unable to find an access point with the GX7. When I looked at the network I found the Homehub had allocated channel 13. By changing to a manual setting and allocating channel 10 the GX7 found the network immediately. I would guess anything above 10 is invisible to the GX7.

5.0 out of 5 stars GX7 is a camera you can count in any scenerio, 23 April 2014
M. N. Akhtar "stencil age" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the most feature packed, reasonably priced and attractive camera to date. For me, the most attractive feature was its electronic shutter, which is completely silent, so much so that you only hear little wizz of the lens sometime, and is completely unnoticed in any place where silence needs to be observed, like candid, religious places, birds photos etc.

Image quality is top notch too with this sensor and Panasonic has improved it a lot compare to initial G/GF/GX series, matching up to the flagship GH models like GH3.

If I have to pick any cons, then electronic viewfinder is not as comfortable as GH1 (the camera I was using before) and the IBIS (though it is a welcome addition) is not perfect, although it is not buggy as some light weight Olympus bodies.

It's Wifi implementation is very easy to connect and I found no trouble at all capturing photos from Android phone remote app.

Looks are subjective but to my eyes its best to date m4/3 body, very well made camera with beautifully crafted and buttons of right sizes and behavior and the bundled lens has same polish and rigid shell.

All the missing features like Panorama mode and HDR also implemented.

I am very satisfied and it's highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 21 Feb 2014
Have the camera for 4 months and quite simply it is great .
High quality photos /videos perfect for the work I do
I upgraded from a GX1 and I am not disappointed .
The only flaw I can see is that the camera has has no video stabilization for Olympus lenses

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 5 May 2014
so far is it great except i think the flash feels flimsy though and needs to be more robust but i will not use often as low light ability is good, finding the right case for the 20mm lens version is proving difficult but otherwise the camera is pretty good

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic has nailed it, 23 Oct 2013
I've been waiting a couple of years for a more "serious" compact system camera (I almost bought GX1 when it came out but decided to wait a bit longer) and Panasonic has finally nailed it. There's no point in repeating its feature set but I have to say the overall ergonomy and manual controls are great, it's a joy to shoot with. IBIS and viewfinder are certainly welcome too. I'm also glad Panasonic stuck to its traditional understated styling and didn't make the camera overly retro. Wasn't it Aristotle who said the whole is greater than the sum of its parts? The GX7 exactly fits this description.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST CAMERA I'VE EVER OWNED, 20 Mar 2014
I shot my first video with my new GX7 and Lumix F/1.4 Leica lens and the quality was amazing. It's way better than my Canon 7D - even the photography was superior, as the colours just popped out with razor sharp definition. I'm loving the tillable touch screen which is vibrant, sharp and extremely responsive. The button placements are very well thought out - well done Panasonic.

At first, it was scary not being familiar with the video setting, but I went full manual with face tracking autofocus. Although video mode is easy to use, there are rules, as with any camera. For PAL users, remember to keep your shutter speed at 50 - double the framerate of whatever you're shooting.

Do not be fooled by the size, this camera takes professional photos with the right lens combination. It's so portable, but a real powerhouse - definitely beats lobbing around a big DSLR all day. With this lightweight setup I can get more pictures done with ease without the backache. I was a bit nervous when deciding to sell my Canon 7D and replace it with this, however after extensive usage, the GX7 is more than capable of the job at hand, beating the 7D in colours, low light performance and sharpness.

I would recommend getting a second battery and don't worry about getting an official one - good third party batteries do the job well at a fraction of the price.

When it comes to looks, this camera screams retro all over and is simply one of the best lookers out there to date. With it's retro 70s look the Chrome/Black model is a real beauty.

I'm using this camera as the photographic/video companion to my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, as they both use the same MFT lenses. The autofocus is quicker to the draw than Clint Eastwood in his prime with a 6-shooter pistol at hand. I can't tell you enough how convenient it is in video mode. There's also focus peaking in manual mode for the true professionals. Like all pros, make sure you get an external recorder for audio, like the the Zoom H2n, cos the sound in the camera is ok, but not the best.

I'll carry this all around the world and back again. Whether day or night, winter or summer, I've been waiting a long time for a snapper like this to come along. It really has brought the fun back into photography, especially with the instagram style filters and WiFi mode.

I've got so many things I can say about the GX7, but one line describes it best: "I'm in love with this camera."

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic GX7, 8 Jun 2014
Paul Symes - See all my reviews
Very impressed with it. It's quite small and light. The pictures are very sharp. The video is high quality. Panasonic had an offer that if you sent them proof of purchase they would send you a free lens. They sent me a Panasonic 12-32mm lens which is very nice indeed - not as high quality as the 20mm that came with it but a very usable wide angle lens.

I've uploaded some pictures here:

[...]