4.0 out of 5 stars No regrets but could have been better.
Published 8 months ago by Camerafour

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Wireless Connection
Published 2 months ago by SC From Purley

4.0 out of 5 stars No regrets but could have been better., 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG7150 All in one printer - Black (Print, Scan, Copy, Wifi, Air Print and Pixma Cloud Link) (Accessory)
I decided on this particular printer as friends also have Canons and they produce some excellent results. This model does too especially on the 7 Day Shop 270gm glossy paper that would not go through my previous HP printer. Where it falls down is on it's WiFi capability. It established contact with my router easily enough and appeared to print solidly enough. Every now and again though it will print about a third of a sheet (photographs) and then eject the paper. It then takes some time to reset and start over, sometimes with the same result. I have been around computers and printers for many years but have been unable to get to the bottom of this problem. Eventually I reloaded the driver using a USB connection and all has been well. But if I have paid for WiFi then I should be getting WiFi.

A second niggle is that the scanner is not of a very high resolution. It does produce good results but if I wanted to scan a small area of a picture at high res, then I would be in difficulty.

Ink consumption is on the high side and there are 6 separate cartridges altogether. I am tempted to try some compatibles as a set of genuine Canon come out at £60. Not funny.

This is beginning to sound as though I'm unhappy with the machine but this is far from the truth. It is an excellent printer with quite a large footprint. I have had no jams or any other mechanical trouble but would like to get the WiFi problem sorted out.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, an all in one printer of quality, 13 Jan 2014
We have gone through a number of HP printers but they don't ever seem to last long, so this time we went for a Canon - the Canon MG7150, to be precise.

In a word - fantastic.

The print quality, especially for photos, is as good as Boots. The 6 different ink cartridges mean that you are only paying for the ink you use - you do not have to replace multi-colours as soon as one colour runs out. But what is really special about this model is that is includes a GREY ink cartridge - which greatly includes fidelity in both colour and grey scale (cheaper printers mix grey from colours, which does not work well).

Wireless printing is unusually versatile - you can print not only from a desktop PC, or from laptop PC, but also from Mac devices, and from smartphones and tablets such as iPhone and iPad, using the free app or free driver software available from the Canon website or appstore. There is also a bunch of photo software add ons - I find these pretty useless, as it is only the printing that really matters.

There are two paper trays, so you can have a tray for A4 paper and a tray for 6 x 4 inch photo paper (for example). There is also the facility to print CD/DVD/Blu ray labels.

Scanning and photocopying either in colour or black and white is very high resolution. Copying (both in colour and black and white) is just by pressing a single button on the printer, just like a high-end photocopier. There is no document feed, so you have to put one page in at a time for copying.

The controls are all run from a good sized, clear, very intuitive back lit touch screen on the front - this means you can see what you are doing even in low light, e.g. if you have the printer in a dark corner or under a desk. You don't have any buttons to press.

There are slots for camera memory cards in various sizes, so you can print photographs without a computer.

The whole unit is not small, but looks very sleek and professional. For the price, you are getting what really matters - efficient and high quality printing with Canon reliability.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 23 Oct 2013
P. Swift - See all my reviews
Every printer I have ever owned has been an Epson. I have used HP in the office but these were never good enough for my home photo printing requirements. SO when my last epson photo printer ceased working, my natural reaction was to go look at Epson printers.

The reviews were a mixed bag and as my last one had ceased it's life after 4 years, I thought I would look at another brand. For many years I have used Canon cameras and the recent 700d has proved to be an amazing piece of kit. SO I thought I would look at this printer. I was a bit put off by the review and so looked at the reviews of the other printers which seemed on the whole better than any other manufacturer. So I thought I would give it a try.

I took delivery 3 days ago, got it up and running on the BT hub in no time (but had to undertake a hub reboot to get the thing working properly) and have to say I am impressed! The features are much richer than my older Epson and it is quieter. It is sleek and I now have printing options on my Ipad and android phone. Text quality printing is excellent and the photo's are good. The photos seem a little less precise (could be the actual photo as not a direct comparison with the Epson) than the Epson but the colours are much more vibrant- overall I think the photo's are better. Printng the photos was easier in the Canon software and haven't tried the cloud printing yet.

I will stick with the Canon ink purely because of the vibrancy of the photo's which might not be to everyone's taste.

The reason it is not 5 stars is because the inks work out a bit dearer than the Epson (comparing XL cartridges)but only time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best A4 photo printers around, 6 Nov 2013
J. Cheng (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used a few different inkjet photo printers before and apart from the ancient HP Photosmart 2670, there aren't any A4 that will give me a 'gray' ink for monochrome printing. This alone is worth the price, at least for me. I have tried a few prints since the printer arrived last week but so far so good. Colour prints are vibrant and sharp, providing you use Canon paper. I did try it on Kodak papers but the result wasn't great. But there's a trick too, you need to understand printer profiles and calibration if you want perfect colours and tones. A lot of people reviewing printers will complaint this and that but the fact is that if neither or either computer screen or printer is calibrated, the result will not be great. Also, paper plays a big part so don't get just any paper without first calibrate for a profile specifically for it.

I use a Mac and I did see people complaint about software or driver but Mac actually has a built in driver that it will automatically download from internet so you don't need to use anything. I set everything up wirelessly (remember to first set up the printer's wireless setting). My mac just picked it up in seconds and everything was a thing of the past. Simple install and printing was painless. I had an old Pixma ip4000 and by comparison, this is super quick and quiet. It does copying, scanning and duplexing so perfect for my wedding business. I don't print anything larger than A4 and I need bigger, I always use a pro lab because my client would never order too many prints and A4s are good for them.

I can't comment on ink usage yet but I don't really mind because I use it for photos and they never last anyway no matter how you wish it would last. I've had HP and Canon printers and none of them last when printing photos.

I do think this is a great little compact and good looking all-in-one photo printer and that gray ink is just my icing on the cake and I am loving it. The black and white is no longer a 'red' toned monochrome. Trust me and try printing a black and white photo from a printer without gray ink is a disaster!

I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect print quality, great wireless connectivity - but don't buy the Canon inks!, 17 Sep 2014
Outstanding printer.

First and foremost I bought it for printing photographs, and it does this very well... in fact perfectly. The quality of the borderless pictures is better than Boots and as good as Photobox. Absolutely flawless in glossy Canon paper.

It is true though that the colours are a bit more intense but that is a matter of personal taste - I quite like that.

This is the highest resolution inkjet printer I could find when I looked in Currys and John Lewis (which is where I bought it from - solely because I wanted it in white!) and it really shows.

Connected to the wifi in no time. Very easy indeed to print straight from the iPhone or iPad with the Canon app, although be careful as you can end up printing more photos than you intended (easy to select more than you wanted to). The app defaults to all the right settings and knows what paper the printer has, the ink levels, etc.

Document printing is essentially the same as laser (albeit a lot slower of course). It's useful that there is a separate tray for document printing which you can load with A4 while the other tray has the photo paper (I have printed word docs on photo paper by accident in the past on other printers).

Haven't tried scanning on it yet.

It isn't as small or light as you might expect looking at the picture though - a good sized beast and you need a big desk.

Minor negatives - the build quality doesn't look as good as one might expect (paper trays rattle, looks a bit cheap although the black version is better ironically), and the Canon inks are horrendously expensive - although I understand compatible inks work just fine.

But the print quality is truly outstanding.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Wireless Connection, 20 Sep 2014
I have purchased a good number of Canon printers over the years, but having had this model for 2 weeks or so, I will be looking to return it to Amazon, as it is unfit for purpose, with the wireless connection constantly falling out. If only it was a simple case of setting up the connection again, but no. I encounter a succession of error messages. It is said that the definition of madness is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different answer. Well, this proves that you can do the same thing again and again and eventually get a different answer, as after about 15 or so attempts of trying to reset the wireless connection, it will finally connect - there is no choice other than to follow the standard set up procedure, this includes connecting via pressing the WPS button on my router and also inputting the router password manually. I have been in contact with Canon and their advice was to use a static as opposed to dynamic IP address for my router and although this initially seemed to work, the connection problem has returned (though my other Canon printers and other devices have always worked fine with a dynamic IP).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Wi-Fi Printer, 16 Dec 2013
I've just replaced my Canon Pixma MG 6150 with this. The 7150 is more compact - tidier. Setting it up was OK. It is essential though to follow the steps closely - it would be helpful if the setup diagrams were text assisted because you sometimes need to check carefully that you have interpreted the diagrams carefully. I had to take two go's at the Wi-Fi setup but the second attempt was successful. The quality of the text and pictures on plain paper is very good - the same result as the 6150 which also printed well on plain paper. Auto duplexing is useful. I haven't yet tried photos on photo paper nor scanning. Print cartridges are expensive. However, I will use the Canon cartridges because I believe that it was the cheap cartridges which killed my 6150 and caused me to replace it with this machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. Has problems constantly which are only fixed by ..., 4 Oct 2014
C. Limited (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Terrible. Has problems constantly which are only fixed by unplugging it, and on the odd occasion if does work, it takes an absolute AGE to actually print. You're sat there watching a msg saying "Processing.. Please wait momentarily." for around 4 minutes. Just print!!!
Was a business purchase from PC World, but is going back. Easily the slowest and most unreliable printer I have owned in 25 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trade Off, 12 Aug 2014
This is my second Canon printer. The first one was am MP560. I was happy with it's performance. although I had to replace it after about two years as the LCD screen failed. which was a little bit disappointing as I think it should have last a little longer .
As I was happy with the performance of the MP560 so I wasn't going to let this little issue of quality / reliability put me off so I bought a MG7150. As per expectations, when I received it and set it up I was happy with it's performance. That was five months ago. Now I am a little saddened I think Canon has fallen off their perch. After five months the ink delivery has failed and needs a repair under the warranty. This is where Canon has fallen off the perch. After getting in touch with the supplier 'Inkubus Bargains' ( who should be responsible To the customer) I was instruct to get in touch with Canon for a reference number. Canon customer services couldn't understand what reference number 'Inkubus Bargains' wanted and the only one that would be available would be the email reference number. and to contact 'Inkubus Bargains' again. Which I did and they said that was the number the wanted Trade offand for me to contact Canon through their website and follow the instructions for warranty repairs. which doesn't cover the cost for returning the item. ( Epson and other makes do cover the cost for returns under warranty) I think Canon is cheap skating and 'Inkubus Bargains' shirking there responsibilities. If I lived local to 'Inkubus bargains' and brought the machine back they would have to accept it.
All in All, I think it's a trade off. A good operational/looking machine against a low reliability/quality warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this printer, 25 Jan 2014
I have always been a fan of Canon products but my last two printers were HP & Epson. I very glad that I have gone back to Canon. The quality and features on this printer are excellent. Does everything I want it to do. Not going to go into ink because they are daylight robbery with any printer. I will not buy Canon, HP or Epson ink.