Fangirl
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.59

on 14 July 2014
Review also available on my blog:[...]
Hey guys!

I know I’m a bit late to jump on the Fangirl bandwagon. With everybody raving about it I went into this book with very high expectations. Even with the odds against it, in my view, I did enjoy Fangirl. However, although the book was good, I did find it lacking some things.

I’ll start with the negatives. At the end of each chapter there was an extract from either the Simon Snow books (the fictional books which the protagonist, Cath, fangirls over) or from Cath’s fanfiction of these books. When I first heard about extracts being used in a review I read before the book, I was really excited and interested in how Rowell would utilise them. The problem, for me, is that the extracts, particularly from the Simon Snow books, seemed completely irrelevant to the book. I mean, once you’ve grasped that Simon Snow is meant to be Harry Potter you don’t really care about tiny, irrelevant extracts from it. Cath’s fanfiction, although more relevant as it gives the reader an insight into how her mind works, does seem detached from the main story. It would have been better if, say, the Simon Snow extracts gave some message that reflected the previous chapter, or how Cath felt. Or if the extracts were from Cath’s updates of her main fic Carry On, Simon and we could see how her fic developed as she developed. Even the extracts from fics written years before this book is set could have been used to contrast how Cath writes alone and how she writes with Wren. But none of this happened in any of the extracts and I had to force myself to read them at the end of each chapter, hoping they became relevant. I asked my sister about it and she said that when she read Fangirl she just skipped over the extracts.

The ending was disappointing for me. There was a steady build up to the release of the eighth Simon Snow book and the anticipation to finish Carry On, Simon. But the ending kind of flopped for me. This could be because Rowell didn’t want to give the book a sense of finality so she could return to the world later, but I still would have liked more information on how the eight book affected Cath, how she finished Carry On, Simon and just generally a bit more of a closed ending considering this is a stand-alone.

But the thing that bugged me most about this book is how narrow its perspective is. When you tackle something like fandom (particularly if fandoms are close to your heart like mine) and name your book Fangirl, you’re taking on a massive thing. There are hundreds of fandoms and hundreds of fanpeople(?) and each person in that fandom has something they enjoy/contribute e.g making videos/graphics, writing fanfiction, writing songs, cosplay etc. Inevitably some people are going to be disappointed. When I heard that Fangirl was a YA book about fandom I was expecting all this to be incorporated. So when I discovered it was just about fanfiction I was kind of disappointed. I think the most important thing about fandoms and fangirls is the sense of community, support and understanding you get. The main downfall for me was that Fangirl had no real sense of fandom community and was focused on Cath individually. There was nothing about Cath talking to other fangirls, or interacting with anybody online. We all have a few people who we talk to regularly online and perhaps even consider friends. I would have expected somebody like Cath, like ME, would be talking lots to online friends about a big experience like university. I also wanted there to be a more universal view of the fandom, more fanart, more videos, graphics, cosplay, songs etc. Let me reiterate. I enjoyed Fangirl a lot. But I think when you sell a book as Fangirl and being about fandom you need to make it more elaborate. Fangirls don’t just write fanfiction. We communicate and socialise with other people online. Frequently. I felt like Fangirl stuck to the fanfiction but didn’t expand. Which isn’t bad, but if you sell a book as a book about a fangirl, I expected…more fangirling.

However, that being said, Fangirl was a lovely book. Everyone has different opinions about what is most important in a book: plot, setting, description, dialogue. For me, I think it’s the characters. Even if the plot is mindblowingly good, if the characters are rubbish then the plot doesn’t work and the book fails for me. I loved the characters in Fangirl. I have social anxiety and hearing about Cath’s nerves about university (e.g. going to the dining hall/finding a seat) is something I know I’ll get nervous about too. Reading this so close to uni with a protagonist so like me was almost reassuring me that uni will be okay. Cath’s only downside was the fact she handed in fanfiction as her own work and got upset when her teacher called it plagiarism. What else did she expect?? That aside Cath is a lovely and relatable character. I also loved Wren and the adorable (and refreshingly understanding) Levi. But my favourite has to be Reagan. I love her character as she is so real. She’s spiky but sweet and I think it’s great how she doesn’t try to understand Cath but accepts her.

Overall, Fangirl is a wonderful book about coming of age and facing scary but inevitable experiences like university. I was just disappointed by the fact it was sold as Fangirl but only incorporated one element of fandom and no real sense of the vital community that fandoms produce.

3 stars.

How did you find Fangirl? :)

-Molly
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
So let me just start of by saying that as my first review in like nearly a year, I’m very happy that it’s Fangirl. This book was one of the most surprisingly beautiful books I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. This review will probably not be a long one as my little girl has a cold so I’m not sure how long I’m going to get to write, also as its my first one in a long time, I think I need time to get back into the swings or things and I want to get it done tonight or I’ll put it off for another week.
So anyway now on to the review.

This book is based around twins, Cath & Wren (although it is mainly focused on Cath) and their journey from high school to college. Only problem is Cath isn’t so sure she is ready to leave her world of Simon Snow behind. Wren and Cath were avid fans, Cath still is, spending every waking moment writing Simon Snow fanfiction, and doesn’t take it very well when her sister decides to grow up and move on.

Wren and Cath are going to the same college, but having been at each other’s side since birth, Wren wants to explore college by herself, starting with the living arrangements. Cath isn’t too happy to be alone, but after much convincing on her dads part, gives college a chance one step at a time.

Cue Reagan, Cath’s not so happy go lucky roommate and Levi, Reagan’s too smiley ‘boyfriend’. Despite desperately trying to finish her fanfiction story she has been working on for two years before the new and last Simon Snow book comes out, Reagan and Levi eventually get her to open up more and start leaving the comfort of her room.

Cath is trying to juggle her classes, which she is flunking, her manic dad, her mother that has reappeared after upping and leaving 10 years before and her on the verge of being an alcoholic sister who she has hardly spent anytime with since starting school.

On top of all that she is trying to come to terms with liking who she likes and wanting more than Simon Snow, something she thought would never happen.

There is a lot about this story I could tell you , I could tell you how there were parts of it that had me smiling from ear to ear. There was some parts that had me laughing and part of me that had me on the edge or anger for Cath, but what I will say is never in a long time have a connected with a book as I did with Fangirl. When I was younger I would read a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction (also, I may be a bit biased seen as the fictional Simon Snow novels are an homage to Harry Potter but ah well), and although I may have never wrote any, I felt myself connecting with Cath a lot more than any other character in a book I’ve read in a long long time. Without going into detail because it would bore you, I really did love this book and I think that you will too if you just give it a chance. Please please please don’t be put off by my ‘review’ I had to stop halfway through to deal with my daughter and I’m too busy thinking about my boyfriend out in the pouring rain and having to deal with drunks all night to write a decant review. I just wanted to write something.
on 28 February 2014
There comes a time in a geek/nerd/dork’s life when one realises that there’s an entire community out there who are willing to read the stories you wrote about [insert your favourite movie/TV show/book series/musical/play/video game here], and not only that, there is an entire subculture dedicated to it that pre-dates the Internet. Not only can you host your fan-fiction on your own online zine (if you want to get really archaic) or website, you can use communities like LiveJournal and a multitude of fan-fiction sites and forums. All for your perusal!

Did you want Blaise and Draco to have more… romantic interaction in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Ever wanted to read about George from Being Human‘s life before he was turned into a werewolf? Did you pick up on a romantic chemistry between two characters and decide they were forevermore your OTP? Do you simply want a cutesy story set in an alternate universe where Dean, Sam and Castiel from Supernatural are rival coffee shop owners? Well, dear reader, AO3, Fanfiction.net, LiveJournal, and countless other sites have you covered.

While there have been more than a few published novels from authors who started in fan-fiction, or even novels that essentially are fan-fiction with the serial numbers filed off, there hasn’t been a novel centring around a main character who does write these stories. Fan-fiction is hardly the niche hobby it used to be, and I’m sure there’s an audience who know all about fan-fiction and perhaps even write it. So why not give them a character they can relate to?

That’s where Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell comes in.

18 year old Cath is a well-known fan-fiction writer for the immensely popular Simon Snow book and movie series. Having latched on to the Simon Snow books and fandom as a crutch during a very painful time in her childhood, Cath is still emotionally stunted and wondering why her twin sister Wren, who was equally obsessed with the series as a youngster, has moved on with her life. Wren now goes to parties while Cath stays in her dorm, hidden behind her laptop screen and writing about the burgeoning romance between the titular Simon, and his arch-rival Baz. Too socially awkward to make friends to begin with, her bolshy roommate Reagan starts to take her out, and that’s where Cath meets Levi, the kind-hearted boy next door who takes an interest in her. By making new friends, learning how to be more social and braving through emotional hardships, Cath learns the valuable lesson that while fandom is a lovely place to hang out in when you have spare time, it’s unhealthy to let it consume your entire life. (I know. I’ve been there.)

In fact, Cath is so consumed by her appreciation for fan-fiction that she actually hands in a Simon Snow story she’s written as an assignment. Thank God she had an understanding professor who simply gave her an F and then told her off, right? Rather than kicking her off the course? Presumably the intended reaction is for the audience to cringe, but it’s difficult to feel that way when Cath immediately gets morose about how fan work doesn’t hurt anybody and it’s so unfair that she got an F for plagiarism. Cath is supposedly a very talented writer, but she’s just too obsessed with Simon Snow to move on and even try to write original stories. She’s happy to help edit her classmate’s short story submission, but comes completely unstuck when told to use her own imagination.

It’s a good thing Cath is humanised so well later in the novel, because to begin with, she comes across as the kind of person who’d dig themselves a deep hole, jump in, and then whinge about how they can’t get out of it. Emotional developments are nicely woven into the plot rather than bashing the reader over the head with the soap-opera style melodrama than can be all too common in YA.

As we learn later in the book, Cath and Wren’s interest in Simon Snow stems from the pain they felt as children when their mother left them. Their father’s bipolar disorder (exacerbated by this turn of events), and their own feelings of abandonment led them both to seeking this safe haven within the pages of this popular new book series.

Now both of them are nearly adults, and while Wren is ready to move on and actually meet with their estranged mother, Cath cannot let go of her grudge and come to terms with her emotions, clinging to fandom as her rock. It’s actually really well done – perhaps because the tone of the book is rather light and airy, slowly building up and threading in story details without having to beat us over the head with big emotional revelations.

After every chapter, Fangirl cuts away to either a piece of Wren and Cath’s fan-fiction, or extracts from the Simon Snow books themselves. There’s also parts where Cath reads her fan-fiction aloud. This might be a more personal thing, but it’s difficult to distinguish between the voices of Cath as the fan-fiction writer and the Simon Snow extracts. Could that mean that Cath is so obsessed with Gemma T. Leslie’s writing style that she’s virtually copied it right down to a T? Perhaps. But perhaps not.

Speaking of Simon Snow, though – there’s this one moment in Fangirl that was particularly baffling:

“I don’t know,” Levi said. “It’s hard for me to get my head around. It’s like hearing that Harry Potter is gay. Or Encylopedia Brown.” (Loc. 1894-5)

So… Fangirl is set in the bizarre alternate universe where Harry Potter exists as a figure in the popular consciousness, but Simon Snow, a series that began in the early 2000s became infinitely more popular, despite being a huge rip-off? Simon Snow takes place at a magical school where the eponymous character is an orphan and supposedly the chosen one, has two best friends, and an intense rivalry with Baz, a Draco in Leather Pants who is also a vampire. The second Simon Snow book revolves around searching for a legendary serpent, one of the books involves Baz keeping secrets and Simon stalking him like it’s his day job, and there’s also a ‘Veiled Forest’ that’s totally not the Forbidden Forest. So, considering that Harry Potter does exist in this universe, wouldn’t J.K. Rowling have sued so hard by now? It may just be the one mention in the entire book, but it did lodge this seed in my head. (Though, speaking of Harry Potter adaptations that have become rather popular…)

Some of the more cynical might go: “Oh, this is just another ‘nerdy girl learns to be pretty once a boy comes into her life’ plot. Don’t we have enough of those?” Well… yeah, Fangirl kind of is and isn’t that typical. Levi is sweet and described as gorgeous, and Cath’s relationship with him is genuinely charming. He’s kind, non-judgemental, and apologetic when he’s done wrong. That’s not to say he doesn’t have his flaws, but he’s definitely a lovely guy and far from the gross bad boys one is supposed to fall over in YA.

The ending of the novel is rather rushed, sadly. Wren and Cath’s family life is hardly alluded to during the final 10% of the novel, instead focusing on the race to finish a fan-fiction before the final Simon Snow book is released, which is admittedly a fine method for the girls to realise that the story they grew up loving is now over and they have to move on with their adult lives. There’s also one other thing Cath has to accomplish – her short story project, which is simply swept under the rug, because we’ve got to end this somehow! Cath accomplishes writing this important project in about a day and still gets the prize for undergraduate writing. No, sorry. That’s not fair. She hardly attended her classes (out of her own volition, not when personal events were stopping her), stopped handing in assignments… Her creative writing professor took a shine to her early on and not only let Cath skip over being punished for plagiarism, she also gave her a ridiculously long extension for said short story, when it was supposed to be handed in at the end of the winter semester! (Also, were we supposed to start loathing Cath’s writing partner Nick at some point towards the end? The memo never reached my desk.) And what about the girls’ mother? We see hide nor hair from her after one of the more important scenes in the book. Oh, well. Back to college and having an awesome time with friends as the semester wraps up!

All in all, Fangirl is a fun, breezy read that’s actually got some decent character development and knows precisely when to weave it in. Cath is a more realistic portrait of the fan-fiction author than the lazy caricature a lesser writer would have gone for, thank God, and I really believed in her confusion and pain as to why she and her sister suddenly drifting apart. Levi is lovely, and Reagan is harsh, but funny. In fact, aside from one or two clangers in terms of metaphor and simile, I did find myself smiling several times while reading this.

My only real bugbear are the parts with Simon Snow fan-fiction and extracts from the novel. They take up too much space, and I wound up skimming over this half-baked Harry Potter-lite narrative after the first few times. Nice as a novelty, but not after every single chapter and several chapters where Cath simply reads it out to Levi or goes on long tirades about what she’s doing in the story. It slows down the story and the voices become utterly indistinguishable from another. The ending kind of speeds everything up rather unnecessarily, but it’s ultimately satisfactory.

3.5/5.
on 13 October 2013
As someone who didn't necessarily love college at the beginning I really connected with Cath and her uneasy, introverted nature. However, Fangirl's strength is that there is a whole host of characters that really will cover the majority of the spectrum of potential readers. Cath's university experience is juxtaposed with that of happy-go-lucky Levi; the brutally honest and confident Reagan; and Wren, her sister, who doesn't find herself at college but rather loses herself in the experience.

In Cath's proverbial jump from little to big pond she has to navigate that terrifying moment of embarking on new friendships, filtering out those who are only there for themselves along the way, as well as learning how to leave her home behind while still managing to be there for her family. While adept online Cath also struggles to find her voice in her new classes, a universal theme we all encounter when we take that little step up.

The relationships that Cath builds in the novel, both platonic and romantic, are slow to blossom and all the more realistic for being so. None of the relationships hit you over the head and sometimes you do find yourself questioning where they are going, like real life relationships. As in Eleanor & Park I think that Rowell's strength lies in her honest portrayal of young, vulnerable relationships.

As with Rowell's previous novels her writing is really what makes Fangirl excel as a truly captivating novel. The simplicity of her language and the effortless feel of the dialogue make Fangirl a fun, fluid, and unaffected read that will keep you engaged until the end. Additionally, while the story does seem light and relatively uncomplicated, there is a distinct sharper edge that slowly creeps up on you and lends the book a lingering air that'll keep you thinking about it long after you've finished it.

Unlike a lot of other YA novels there is nothing really OTT about Rowell's second venture into the genre, the story succeeds because of its simplicity and its easy relatibility. While perhaps not as powerful as Eleanor & Park, Fangirl is a wonderful coming of age novel that I think will resonate with readers of all ages.
on 11 September 2013
This was a very well written book that I would be happy for my daughters to read. It is about a twin trying to find her place in the world. Having always been part of a pair, she struggles when her sister decides that she wants some independence and chooses to share a room with someone else at college. She also has to cope with a Bipolar father, who raised them and the reappearance of a mother whom left them when they were eight. Add this altogether with falling in love properly for the first time and an obsession for fan fiction and you have the makings of a really good read.
on 10 September 2013
Disclosure: I won a free copy of this book from the publisher and this review was originally posted on my blog.

I've heard great things about Rainbow Rowell's books and they've been on my wishlist for a while. When I won a copy of Fangirl I was over the moon! Fangirl tells the story of Cather, a devotee of the Simon Snow book series and writer of Simon Snow fanfiction, as she starts college and has to juggle being a freshman and being a fangirl.

So I was already excited by the subject matter of that book, and that excitement level only went up once I actually started it. Because this book is just so me. I think anyone who's been involved with any kind of online fandom will absolutely adore this book because it just stirred up so many memories of experiences I've had in my own life, and it had all these little references that made me squeal. I mean a main character who writes fanfiction?! I'm still so happy that Fangirl has made that a thing. I actually had to text my friend and recommend her this book as I was reading it because she writes fanfiction and I just felt the need to let her know this book existed. Plus I have a confession: I have written fanfiction. And you know what? In the past that has been something that I've hidden from people because I was embarrassed. Not anymore. In fact reading this book has made me want to log into my sadly neglected fanfiction.net account, find a load of new fics to read and then finish writing all my unfinished fics.

So Fangirl was already off to a pretty good start. Then I got to know the main character, Cather, and well I just fell in love with this book a whole lot more. Not only is Cath a fangirl with a huge talent at writing fanfiction, she is also shy, socially awkward and completely lovable. I just felt this affinity with her straight away because I share her worrying nature. Like there's this thing in the book where she's too scared to go to the dining hall because she doesn't know where it is and she's too scared to ask and she's worried that even if she did know where it was and went there that she wouldn't know how the system worked and she'd get something wrong. I instantly recognised that thought process from myself when facing new social situations. I mean sometimes life is just too confusing! I was just relieved I'm not alone when it comes to this kind of thing and Fangirl gave me the ability to laugh at myself and the ridiculous-ness of it all.

There's also the fact that Cath is a twin, and is sort of living in the shadow of her sister Wren. Wren is determined to be more independent now that the two of them have started college, so Cath kind of gets left behind as Wren goes off and has the confidence to make new friends and do new things. I loved how the relationship between them had its ups and downs. There's that great theme of discovering yourself and growing up and trying to make it in the big wide world. I really felt for Cath as she struggles to adjust to all those changes. Plus I was just totally excited to read a book about twins. I've secretly always wanted to be a twin. I blame The Parent Trap. I love books focused on sister relationships too because they make me think about the relationship I have with my own sister.

So this review is already turning out to be a lot of gushing and I haven't even got to Levi yet. I love Levi. He and Cath are so different yet they have such brilliant chemistry. When Cath starts college she's kind of a bit hopeless with boys. She's with her current boyfriend Abel because he's a safe choice, but finally she's starting to have her eyes opened to the lovely guys out there. And Levi is one of them. I loved that he takes the time to talk to her and get to know her, and that he really brings out the best in her. He's caring and thoughtful and hilarious. I think he gets safely bumped to the top of my "favourite male characters" list. I adored Cath's roommate Reagan too. She's so full of attitude and has that wicked brutal honesty.

Whilst the characters were a huge strong point for me, the plot also kept my attention all the way through. There's some really heartbreaking moments as well as some really uplifting ones. I loved the journey Cath and her family go on throughout the book, especially the relationship with the girls and their dad. Not everything is plain sailing and there's some testing times. The book has this great build up with both the end of the school year and the final Simon Snow book release coinciding, so all the time you kind of see everything working towards those two points.

I loved that there were little snippets of the Simon Snow books as well as Cath's fanfiction dotted throughout the book between chapters. I think it helped me get caught up in Cath's world and experience what she was going through with those characters. I also really liked the fact that Cath was an aspiring writer who was struggling to break out of writing just fanfiction. So many aspiring writers like myself start out with fanfiction so it was something I could really relate to.

Getting back onto the topic of fandom, I just loved being able to relate to all of it. When Cath was putting her Simon Snow posters up in her dorm room, I was looking up at my Harry Potter ones on my wall. I feel like Rowell has tapped into that world perfectly in a way that really makes me proud to have been so wrapped up in a fandom like Cath is. Of course you can see all the Harry Potter parallels in the book which makes it even more brilliant.

I can't tell you how heartbroken I was to finish this book. I just loved spending time with the characters so much that I didn't want it to end! I got so caught up in every part of Cath's life, to the point where I was dying for the last Simon Snow book to come out in the story so I could see her reaction to it. And it's so rare that a book leaves me wanting to really act upon the feelings I had whilst reading it. Like I said, it's made me want to go and inhale a load of fanfic so I'm going to go and do that right now. Oh and I wish I was a twin even more badly now. I feel like Rowell has captured so many wonderful things about fandom so accurately, as well as creating this wonderful story I couldn't bare to put down. I'll be reading more of her work in the future, that's for sure!
on 6 August 2014
I have to be honest, I expected more from this author and this book. It seemed to drag out for a long time, and I found all the detail into her fanfiction boring and uninteresting - the world that kath is obsessed with is a pretty rubbish take on Harry potter
on 19 August 2015
I normally read books really fast, but for some reason it took me weeks to finish this book - and I'm not too sure why.

Fangirl follows the story of new-college student Cath who has a twin called Wren. The twins come from a broken home and are preparing themselves for their next big college adventure. However, after her sisters betrayal to split up and not share rooms, Cath feels distant and unwanted. Thank goodness she still has Simon Snow, a fictional character who she's been writing fan fiction about ever since she found FanFixx.net! Despite her love for Simon Snow and the magical fictional world, Cath finds it hard to break out and face the real world. With boys, roommates, drunks and friends being thrown at her, Cath delves more and more into her fictional world in hope to complete her fan fiction before the last book is published. However, her grades are falling...and even worse - Cath is falling...in love.

This book started off promising to me and I love Rainbow Rowell's style of writing. Usually, I am a sucker for first person, however this book was in third person and it didn't really bother me that much. I loved the attachment and relationship the reader is able to create with Cath when her sister tells her she doesn't want to share a room, straight off. It really forces emotion to the page as soon as you start reading. I also enjoyed how the characters have enough personality elsewhere for you to form an opinion of them and your opinion can easily be swayed. However, one character who I actually disliked was Wren. I understand as some parts she is highlighted to be the bad one, but because I empathised so much with Cath on how her sister was acting and how she felt like she was the 'ugly one', when Wren and Cath made up, I just wanted to shake Cath and tell her she could meet so many new people and not be tied to her sister.

Overall, the plot of the book...is really hard to describe. I thought that it would be fleshier and a lot more thicker, because the book is quite a big book. However, it just seems to follow Cath on her first year of college and finding herself. There isn't really a big plot twist anywhere. Although there is drama! Which kind of balances out the fact that there were no plot twists that were harsh enough to throw off the whole story and make you read on. I think if I read this book again, I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did the first time because it's not really...interesting? I was just addicted to it and wanted to find out if Cath and Levi ended up together, however - there were days when I could go without reading and not be phased by the fact that I wasn't finding out right this second.

I really wanted to rate this book higher then I did, however because of the lack of interest it indulged me with and how much of the story was just a 'filler' to make the book longer, I had to rate only 3 out of 5 stars. Rainbow Rowell could have used so many techniques to create a much bolder storyline. I understand that there are some people who will adore the plot of this, but it's just not thick and heavy enough for me. I prefer there to be some harsh reality, but in this there was just small drama...
on 11 August 2015
When I started reading this book I thought '3 stars', after awhile it '4 stars' by the end it was '5 freaking stars!!!'. What did I like about this book - EVERYTHING.
I liked the story, I know the twin thing has been done before, but I always find twins interesting. I liked the family drama - all families have dramas and it is interesting to see how each family resolves theirs. I liked the first love - so well written. I even got into the Simon Snow, I wish they had been more.
Then there are the characters. Cather. I loved Cather, she reminded me of myself at 18, only she is more brave and less socially inept. I loved how she grew as a person and how by the end, instead of hiding from the world, she was claiming her place in it.
Wren. I liked her by the end. I got that she needed a break from the twin thing but she was brutal about it and the mom thing was a betrayal the way she did it - she should have been upfront and honest. As for the necklace, I am writing my own fanfiction (in my head) as to what I would have done with it.
Levi. I fell in love with him myself.
Reagan. Who know she would have a heart of gold under the brusque exterior?
Nick oh Nick. I loved when Reagan asked Cather ''I this yours?',' and later when she was looking at him 'like she was already tying him to the railroad tracks'. I wouldn't tie him to tracks - I'd think of something much more painful!
The parents. Art is a great dad but I found Laura more interesting. Yes leaving your kids is s crappy thing to do, but maybe staying and being a crappy mom would be worse. I would love to know her backstory so I am reserving judgement. Fangirl is fab, I recommend this book.
on 1 August 2015
A terrific read thanks to its cast of engaging characters. Funny and moving in places, this is one for all us keen readers and anyone who has ever been an obsessive fan of anything.

This book is proof that if you create wonderful characters it doesn't matter much what they get up to (including sitting about reading and writing fan fiction), we'll enjoy spending time with them. The main character, Cath, was great, but for me it was Levi who stole the book.

So why didn't I give Fangirl 5/5 stars?

Firstly, I thought the Nick plot needed greater development. [SPOILER ALERT] Something more significant needed to happen between him and Cath; he should have led her on more so his "betrayal" was more serious. As it was, it was bad, but Cath got over it fairly quickly and I forgot about Nick until he showed up for a random scene in the corridor at the end of the book. Also, if Nick had got closer to Cath we could have enjoyed some crazy jealous Levi (which would probably involve him frowning, clenched his fists and being overly polite!) which would have been some more payback for him kissing random girl at the house party.

Second, the end of the book left me a little dissatisfied. It felt as if we were being set up for a sequel, but apparently the next book will be a Carry On spin-off rather than a direct follow-on to Fangirl. Perhaps Rowell is keeping her options open for a future sequel?

Even with my quibbles, this is a fantastic read and I highly recommend it!