5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless.
So let me just start of by saying that as my first review in like nearly a year, I’m very happy that it’s Fangirl. This book was one of the most surprisingly beautiful books I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. This review will probably not be a long one as my little girl has a cold so I’m not sure how long I’m going to get to write, also...
Published 14 months ago by Stacie @ Beautiful Bookish But...

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but lacking in some ways
Review also available on my blog:[...]
Hey guys!

I know I’m a bit late to jump on the Fangirl bandwagon. With everybody raving about it I went into this book with very high expectations. Even with the odds against it, in my view, I did enjoy Fangirl. However, although the book was good, I did find it lacking some things.

I’ll start...
Published 12 months ago by Molly Gibson-Mee

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fangirl, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
Cath and Wren have always done everything together but now that they are going to college, Wren has decided not to share a room with Cath. Cath, being the more introvert twin, finds it difficult to adapt to the typical college lifestyle and so retreats into the world of Simon and Baz, who are characters in a famous series of books similar to Harry Potter, that Cath frequently writes fan fiction about.

I read Fangirl after reading Eleanor and Park which was one of my favourite reads last year. So it's fair to say that I had really high expectations. In some ways Fangirl reached those expectations but, in others, it really didn't.

I loved Levi and Cath's relationship. At first I thought that there would be a love triangle between Cath, Levi and Nick but, thankfully, this never developed. Instead the reader is allowed to immerse themselves in Cath and Levi's relationship. I loved how the relationship developed at a slow pace so that, even by the end of the book, you could feel that Cath and Levi were still growing closer together.

I also loved Reagan, Cath's roommate. She was just what Cath needed to make sure she didn't cross over into becoming annoyingly shy and awkward (which she almost did on several occasions). Reagan is probably just the kind of friend we all need; someone who says what she means and means what she says, someone who will give you a gentle push to try new things but who also respects the person that you are and understands your limits, and someone who remains your friend despite the fact that you are dating her ex. What's not to love?

Unlike a lot of people, I liked the Simon Snow extracts at the end of each chapter. Sometimes these were extracts of Cath's fanfic and other times they were from the actual book by Gemma T. Leslie. Reading each one made me feel like I had been transported into a different world, even though most of the extracts were only half a page or so long. I could see why Cath would want to spend time in that world. However, I don't think that the extracts added anything else to the story. The whole fan fiction element of the story seems more like a sideline theme. Also, because there are extracts at the end of each chapter, I kept finding myself thinking that they should have a special meaning or should relate to something else going on in the story but I couldn't figure out what! I don't think the novel would have been worse off without the extracts. A lot of the time they seemed to be a completely random addition. The thing that was most irritating about the extracts though, was that they were clearly based on Harry Potter, but Harry Potter was still referenced in the book! What was that about?!

I couldn't get my head around Cath and Wren's relationship. We are often reminded of how close Cath and Wren were before college; they shared the same high school friends, still shared a bedroom at home and wrote Simon Snow fan fiction together which is quite nerdy. But now they're at college Wren abandons Cath to become a completely non-nerdy alcoholic party animal who has very limited communication with her twin sister. At one point Cath and Wren don't speak to each other for THREE MONTHS! I just couldn't believe that they were so close only a few months earlier. When they made up and Wren suddenly liked everything Simon Snow again I couldn't believe that she was as excited about it as was made out.

Finally, the ending. I like it when the ending of a novel isn't completely set in stone. I like being required to use a bit of imagination to decide how something may have ended or may have continued. But the ending of Fangirl just didn't seem like an ending. It was way to open for me. I don't want to give the ending away but it just seemed to me that the whole novel was building to this 'coming-of-age' moment that I don't think actually happened at any point in the final chapter. It made the story feel incomplete.

I have given Fangirl 4 stars because I really enjoyed reading it and I would definitely recommend it as a good read. However, if you have previously read Eleanor and Park, try not to compare them or base your expectations on it. I think you need to go into this novel with an unbiased attitude. Also, don't expect this book to be all about fan fiction and fandoms or what they are all about because you'll be disappointed. Just enjoy the story for what it is because it's good one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fangirl, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
Fangirl is the story of Cath and her twin sister Wren. They’ve been as close as sisters can be their whole lives, sharing everything from their haircut and clothes to their obsession with Simon Snow, a teenaged orphan wizard (sound familiar?). When they go to college, Wren decides she wants to strike out on her own and live independently of Cath, leaving Cath, the more introverted of the two, devastated.
I liked the story and Rainbow Rowell does a good job of depicting the frankly terrifying experience of navigating your first few months of college whilst knowing no one and suffering from crippling shyness. Cath retreats into her world of Simon Snow fanfic and eats power bars in her room rather than face the dining hall, but slowly she meets people and starts to make some friends.
The romance angle was just lovely. Levi isn’t a ripped, tattooed, muscly, rescuing-kittens-from-trees leading man and was all the better for it. Not that I’m saying the tattooed dudes are unwelcome, they’re not, but he suited Cath so much better as a kind of ordinary-but-nice guy. The sort of guy who’ll stick up for you when you’re being perved on in a bar and who is nice to complete strangers as their default setting.
Cath’s relationship with Wren was prickly and difficult. The more Wren tries to pull away from Cath, the more Cath clings to her and yet you can see how much they love each other.
While I sympathised with Cath in many respects (introversion, social awkwardness, bookishness, love of writing), I didn’t get her obsession with Simon Snow. I also wasn’t keen on the fanfic excerpts. I guess because I hadn’t read the books they were based on (obviously, because they don’t exist) I had no context for the stories Cath wrote, and also because I’m just not into fanfic in real life either. I ended up just skim-reading these bits, like you do with the massive-long elvish poems in Lord of the Rings (and don’t tell me you didn’t).
Despite this, I thought Fangirl was a really lovely read. I just love Rainbow Rowell; her writing is the literary equivalent of curling up in a comfy sofa with a bar of chocolate.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for any fangirl, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fangirl (Paperback)
I had a weird moment when reading Fangirl. As I poured over the pages, unable to put it down, I felt the book could have been written about me. Fangirl is a love letter to all the fangirls out there and it worked: from the moment I picked it up, I was besotted with it, my mind with it long after I put it down.

In Cath, I found a girl after my own heart. A book-lover off to university for the first time, Cath worries about how she will navigate it by herself when her twin sister announces that she wants to do the university experience separately. That means separate dorms, separate courses, almost an entirely separate experience. Shy and introverted, Cath soon finds herself spending more time with fictional characters than with real people. Burying herself in fanfiction, Cath devotes herself to the world of Simon Snow – a series of fantasy books about an orphan boy who becomes a magician... ring a bell?! It's supposed to. Even more intriguingly, the book is spiced up with extracts from fanfiction that Cath has written. These adventures, while paying homage to Potter, manage to remain funny, witty and original. Not only are they a love song to the Potter series, but they are a telling insight into Cath's world.

But Fangirl is not simply "The Ballad of a Potter Lover". Fangirl is, in reality, a love letter to all Fangirls. For any girl out there who is fantatical about something, Fangirl lovingly shines a mirror on her life, while at the same time waking her up to what it could be, reminding her, as wise wizard once said, not to forget to live. Eventually, the real world must be faced and it is this that makes Fangirl really interesting. How Cath pulls herself out of the world of Simon Snow, without leaving it altogether, is heartwarming to read. There are so many characters to love once Cath pays attention to them: room-mate Reagan has an unexpected depth that makes her loveable in a way she wasn't previously; Reagan's best friend Levi is totally crushable; and twin sister Wren is not so hard to empathise with after all; but most importantly we see a new side of Cath, a side to herself that she probably hadn't seen herself before. Watching her blossom and come alive is the beauty of this story.

If, like me, you love reading to the point where you often find it easier to connect with the characters found in the pages of the book than real people, or if you find yourself crushing on fictional characters or thinking of them as though they were real, then Fangirl is undoubtedly the book for you. But your enjoyment of this book hangs on how well you identify with Cath, and how much you can sympathise with her. For me, it was a no-brainer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but a little cringy, 21 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fangirl (Paperback)
Truthfully, I only read this book because of all the hype it’s been receiving. So many countless reviews screaming of how amazing this book is - but I truly don’t see it. In sense of the actual storyline, there is nothing different about this book than any other YA contemporary about a girl falling in love. All that Fangirl has to offer that other books don’t (yet) is it’s focus on fandoms and what it’s like to be dedicated to something. Despite the fact that fandoms are something that have existed for mindless generations (uh, hello, anyone else have grandparents who have loads of Star Trek merch?), there are so few books that actually have characters that are so obsessed with being a fan of something. This is why I think this book has received so much positivity - because it’s looking at something that hasn’t been done yet.

But lets get one thing straight. It’s a s***ty outlook on fandoms.

First off, the thing our main character Cath is obsessed with is a series of bestselling books that are practically a copy of Harry Potter. At first, I thought this was for added humour - like, haha, oh look at that! This magical world Cath is obsessed with is basically Harry Potter with a different name. But then when the dialogue "I don’t know. It’s hard for me to get my head around. It’s like hearing that Harry Potter is gay." is spoken, you find out that both the identical-Harry Potter thing Cath is obsessed with and actual-Harry Potter exist in this book, it’s kinda like… what? What was the point of making something sooooo identical to Harry Potter, then mentioning it? It took all the humour and interest out of the fanfiction and fandom aspect of the book, which is basically the only thing that sets it apart from so many others damn books in the world.

One thing in the book is the whole discussion of Cath’s fanfictions. She’s very popular, so much so that everyday people are reading her stuff (which is totally unrealistic, if you’ve ever read/written a fanfiction). Only, Rowell decides to basically show us whole passages of her fanfictions for no reason. She gives us no reason to care about what Cath is writing, so why would I wanna read ten pages of it? I understand how much Cath’s fandom means to her, I appreciate that so much, as it’s very relatable! I am in so many fandoms it’s crazy, but the fandom Cath is in doesn’t matter at all to me, and reading so many endless pages of her stupid fanfiction pissed me off to no amount. I wouldn’t have minded if Rowell kept it so that it seemed similar to Harry Potter, but she was determined to make it her own. If she was that determined, why not just write the damn books in the first place? Go for it. Just don’t make me read 1/4 of a book of a fanfiction that doesn’t relate to anything in the plot at all.

Besides even all of this, Rowell had such a good opportunity to introduce fandoms in a positive light, teaching people about what being in a fandom can include and how it feels, but she skims this altogether. It’s pathetic - if I didn’t know anything about being in a fandom, I wouldn’t have learnt squat from this book. Not only this but Rowell just fandom-vocabulary like slash, canon, beta reader, etc. with no explanation to readers who may not understand these words. To me, this is as bad as having a dystopian book using it’s own made-up language, then not explaining what it is to the reader. Why are we just expected to know? It’s a writer’s job to explain.

Forgetting the entire fandom/fanfiction aspect of this book (god, I wish I could), the book itself is GOOD! The story is sweet and much more romantic nearing the end. It’s also so realistic, focusing on what it feels like to go to college, leaving behind any friends of family and growing apart from them too.

In addition to that, the characters are pretty good too. I would say amazing, but nearing the end, characters like Wren did things that I wouldn’t have picked her with at all. The book focuses on how Cath’s sister, Wren, is growing apart from Cath and away from the “fandoms” thing they always shared in common, which hurts Cath to no end. It’s very upsetting, but Wren makes decisions near the end and reveals things that don’t fit in her character at all. This is just my opinion of course, but I don’t feel like what Wren did and her relationships with other characters were out of place and off.

Protagonist Cath is actually really… annoying. Like, seriously, the girl would not do anything and hid behind things all the time. I understand that so many people are like this in the world, but it slugged down the pace of the book so much. I feel like the length of this book could have been halved if Rowell cut the damn same circling crap. Cath does something. She gets nervous of what she did. Writes fanfiction. Cath does something… gets nervous… fanfiction… Arrrrgh. Seriously, at one point, I just had to put the book down because I was so fed up of her never getting angry or upset like she should have, not doing anything about what situation she was in! In one word: infuriating.

Besides those two main character complaints, I must say that everyone else was well-developed and realistic and pretty enjoyable with individual personalities that made everything feel a lot fresher. The choice of names actually were what made a lot of the people quite more interesting: Levi, Art, Wren, Reagan. I liked them!

The pace was slow due to our main character, Cath, but overall we did get places and the storyline was just a nice, sugar-sweet one. I feel like this book would have worked a lot better without the stupid fanfiction passages clogging it up unnecessarily - or without the fandom stuff completely. Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soo good, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
Bought this book to read during bus travels etc.. , but never did I think that Fangirl would become a book that continued to drag me in deeper. I was intrigued by both the worlds of Cath and Simon, and extremely satisfied with the endings.

**SPOILER ALERT **

I like how her relationship with Levi felt real and didn't have any unnecessary cliche plot devices to stir "unnecessary"emotions (I.e last minute cheating , accidental kisses with Reagan or Nick, extreme self destructive jealousy etc) . I also love how Wren basically redeemed herself. To be honest in the beginning, I didn't like Cath as I thought she was stubborn, rude and frigid, but as we continue to see the world through her eyes, I for one realised that she's not the irrational and unsteady twin. In fact, I started appreciating that she wasn't trying to rush ahead and be something that she wasn't. So once Cath and Wren. had finally made up, it left me with a really good feeling.

It was nice to read a book with a happy ending, that didn't feel rushed or feel the need to wrap up every angle of the story (i.e trying to solve the issue with their mom ,etc..) ; but also without feeling overly optimistic or conclusive.

The only thing I would have liked to see is Cath seriously considering/working on her final project , rather than her being awarded nonchalantly at the end .

It's hard to explain and to write a review because I'm use to verbally rambling to myself about it, but nonetheless, I loved Fangirl .

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 5 Nov. 2014
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
There are some books that come into your life and sweep you off your feet. You know they haven't been written just for you, but it feels like they have. Fangirl is one of those books for me. I love it like asdfghjkl...or heart eye emoji...or squeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Here's why.

Fangirl is essentially a coming of age story, beginning as twins Cath and Wren leave for University. Whereas they were once inseparable, the girls are forging their own identities, Wren more easily than Cath. Cath seeks solace by writing fan fiction- pages and pages of stories about Simon Snow (he's a bit of a Harry Potter type character). Online she has an army of followers waiting for fan fiction updates, but in reality Cath is awkward- unsure about her room mate, adrift from her sister, worried about her Dad...and that is without the added issue of her Mum suddenly wanting to make contact after leaving on September 11th. Yes, the September 11th.

Admittedly, one of the reasons I love Fangirl so much is the subject matter. I'm one of those weirdo geeks that writes fan fiction about their favourite band and posts it online, and I read all kinds of strange shit that other people post (like the one where Josh, the drummer and Dan, the guitarist are gay and they adopt baby One Direction. That was just plain weird). So although fan fiction and general all round obsession with a programme/band/book series might be difficult for some readers to relate to, I was super duper excited to find there was a book out there about 'us'. The writers no one notices unless you're one of the big hitters who gets snapped up by a publisher, becomes a cult smash and gets their story made into a film (EL James, I hate you).

Like Rainbow Rowell's other novels, it is hugely character driven. Cath is instantly likable. She's quiet and withdrawn. She seems inexperienced, both in relationships and life in general. She's full of anxiety, too nervous to venture to the dinner hall for fear of making some kind of social faux pas. She prefers the world in her head to the real world. All this made her so easy to warm to- I wanted to be her friend, write with her and watch Simon Snow films, hiding away from the big, bad world.

I also fell completely in love with Levi, the guy Cath meets through her roommate Reagan. He's a bit of a strange one in that he blows hot and cold, but he strongly believes in the importance of family and that is exceptionally attractive. He's caring, which he shows via meaningful gestures not just hollow words. And he's clever. Maybe not in a conventional way, but he is. And he's hard working, and he has a scent all of his own, and, and, and.... He's not flawless by any stretch, but he's magnetic. New book boyfriend alert....

I wasn't prepared to devote so many emotional feels (good fangirl word there!) into Cath, or Levi, or Wren, and certainly not her mentally ill Dad, and that was a mistake. Because by the end I was a blubbering mess, physically wrung out. Rainbow Rowell taps into the pain that is all around us-insecurity, anxiety, peer pressure, depression- and squeezes every little bit of emotion out of her readers, which is why she is so hugely popular. People can relate to her characters, and want to believe they'll get a happy ending, or at least some kind of resolution or inner peace.

As Wren says to Cath-

“Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,” Wren said. “It’s the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.”

5.0 out of 5 stars I’ve been waiting my entire life for this book, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Fangirl (Paperback)
We all have that one book we can just relate to, right? The one that has words that seem like they came right from our own minds? This is that book for me.

How do I even start this review? I have so much love for this book that it’s hard to put into words. I’ll try my best to form something of an actual review, rather than just endless paragraphs of fangirling about Fangirl.

Fangirl follows fanfiction writer, Cath, as she heads to the big wide world of college. And for the first time, she has to cope with life without her twin, Wren, who has decided that they shouldn’t be roommates.

I absolutely adored Cath. She is such a wonderful character and I loved reading her story. I feel like she’ll be very relatable to a lot of readers out there, and she definitely connects with the target audience. The changes her and Wren face as they go college is so realistically written, and I loved seeing how their relationship was affected throughout the story.

The fanfiction side of this story was brilliant and definitely a unique selling point. I think actually being able to read the fanfiction that Cath was writing was awesome, and it created a small fantasy story within the story itself, which was great.

Cath’s growth throughout the story was written beautifully. I loved seeing her adjust to this new chapter and finally learning to let people into her life. This is a book very much about family and moving forward, it’s not just a typical YA romance story.

But whilst we’re on the subject of romance, I do have to mention my love for Levi. His constant smiling and general enthusiasm for life made him such an enjoyable character to read about. I found myself looking forward to the interaction between him and Cath. His acceptance of her personality and interests was sweet, and it certainly made me wish there were more guys like Levi out there in the world.

All of the other characters were wonderful in their own way. The story definitely is true to real life by showing the variety of different people you meet when you go to college, and how find yourself becoming friends with people you never in a million years thought that you would.

Fangirl is a fun yet extremely heartfelt story, and it’s one that will stay with me for a long time. If you haven’t yet picked up this book, then I really suggest you should. It’s honest and beautiful, and you will fall in love with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm now a Rainbow Rowell Fangirl!, 31 Aug. 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fangirl (Paperback)
Identical twins Cath and Wren have always done everything together but now they're heading off to college Wren is determined to follow her own path and that doesn't include hanging out with her sister. Wren is the outgoing twin, the one who is excited about meeting new people and going out having fun but Cath is the opposite, she is introverted, shy and struggles to make friends. Cath is happier spending her time alone in her room writing fanfiction but now she no longer has Wren as a shield from the outside world she is forced to reconsider her life. Can she be brave enough to face the world without Wren? Does she have what it takes to stand on her own two feet?

Rainbow Rowell is one of those authors that appeared on the scene and was an immediate success, I have so many friends who have raved about all of her books and I was excited to give one a try. I was a bit nervous that my expectations might be too high but I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised and I really enjoyed reading Fangirl. This is a fantastic coming of age story and I really enjoyed seeing Cath grow as a person as she got used to living without Wren by her side as a constant emotional crutch. The relationship between the two sisters was incredibly well written, there were times when I found myself annoyed with Wren and the way she could be so dismissive of Cath but at the same time I could understand her need to live her own life. They have spent their whole lives as half of a whole and for the first time they are experiencing freedom - not just from the normal parental rules but the freedom to discover who they are deep down inside. The freedom to experiment and to start to discover what they really want from life. It's not easy to balance being a good sister and being their own person, Cath tends to cling to hard to her sister where Wren does the opposite and pushes Cath away and they have to try and figure out something that works for them both.

While I liked the relationship between the sisters I think what I enjoyed most was seeing Cath slowly start to come out of her shell with the help of her room mate Reagan. Cath is so used to spending her time writing Simon Snow fanfiction and most of her friends are people she only knows online so it is hard for her to know what to make of Reagan and her best friend Levi. No matter how hard Cath tries to ignore them they are constantly there in her life asking questions and forcing her to interact with them. Cath is pushed out of her comfort zone, she is awkward and utterly clueless in a lot of ways but she is incredibly sweet and endearing at the same time and I loved seeing her grow throughout the story. Reagan and Levi's characters were both fantastic and I loved spending time with all three of them.

I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of the sections we got to read from Cath's fanfiction and if I'm completely honest they actually bored me. I'm the first to admit I'm a geek, there are so many things I love to fangirl over but I've never really been into the whole fanfiction thing - probably because there are so many new books and worlds out there that I want to explore and I would rather just read the author's original stories than wade through someone else's interpretation of things. I've got nothing against fanfiction and I know it's incredibly popular but it's just never appealed to me. I think Cath and I are just different types of geek and there is nothing wrong with that, there was enough about her that I found easy to relate to so even though I wasn't interested in the story she was writing I was interested in HER story.

Fangirl is a great story about discovering who you really are, it's about learning to accept our differences and understanding that they don't matter. It's about being proud of who we are and most of all it's about learning to live in the moment, taking the time to appreciate what is going on around us rather than hiding away behind a computer screen. It's about standing on our own two feet, meeting new people and making new friends but proving that you don't have to change who you are deep inside to find your niche in the world. This is a fab book and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from Rainbow Rowell in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
I saw this book listed as part of the GoodReads awards earlier this year and loved the look of the front cover, I had a lot of books on my to-read pile, as I always do, so I didn't think much more of it until recently when I saw it advertised on Kindle's daily deal. I snapped it up and couldn't wait long before I made a start.

I devoured the book quickly, I found the story so easy to get into and being a bit of a fangirl myself, I could really relate to how the girls felt.

Fanigrl is the story of Cather Avery, her twin sister Wren, their dad and a few college friends along the way. Cather writes fanfic based on a series of books about a young wizard Simon Snow. A bit of googling confirmed early on that Simon Snow is supposed to be fairly similar to Harry Potter. Cath and Wren's dad is a bit crazy especially when the twins have just started college.

Its basically a beautiful story of confidence, falling in love, fandom, growing up, family, friends and crazy people along the way. Cath is a really relatable character, I could see bits of myself in her.

Wound in between the main story are snippets of the Simon Snow books (created especially for this book but should definitely be a real thing) and also Cath's fan fiction. I thought this really added to the story and was a bit different to anything that I've read in the young-adult genre before.

Definitely recommend Fangirl, to anyone who has ever been part of a fandom, or just been young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fangirl (Kindle Edition)
Cath and Wren are identical twins and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they’re off to university and Wren’s decided she doesn’t want to be one half of a pair any more – she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It’s not to easy for Cath. She would rather bury herself in the fanfiction she writes where there’s romance far more intense than anything she’s experienced in real life.

Fangirl is a contemporary novel that follows Cath as she ventures outside of her home and her fanfiction to experience university life firsthand. One of the main reasons that I adored this novel so much was due to the fact that I related so much to Cath; her social anxiety and desire to lose herself within the realms of her imagination is something that strongly resonated with me. Whereas Cath is subdued and wonderfully geeky, her twin sister Wren is bold and outspoken with a seeming desire to put as much distance between herself and her sister as much as she possibly can. University is looking bleak for Cath; with only Simon and Baz to turn to as she feels the isolation and loneliness that so many undergraduates do as they begin their new lives independently. That is, however, until she allows herself to open up and becomes fast friends with Reagen who is Cath’s boyish (and often intimidating) roommate. It is through Reagen that Cath meets the incredibly quirky and humorous young man, Levi. Unlike other YA fiction, Cath and Levi’s romance is a slow and steady burn that builds up over time as they encounter realistic issues and obstacles along the way as the reader is rooting for their incredibly sweet and chaste relationship.

Fangirl has become one of my favourite novels; Rowell writes in a manner that is both realistically contemporary and beautifully literary so that it ensnares the readers deeper into the twin’s story until we can’t help but feel irreparable sadness as we turn the last page and the journey ends. To put it simply, I loved everything about it. I loved the front cover, which was so beautiful that I took care to use as much delicacy as I could muster when turning the pages. I loved the Simon Snow series wikipedia entry which allowed me as a reader to suspend my belief and truly immerse myself in Rowell’s world. Finally, I loved the Simon Snow excerpts as it gives the reader an insight as to what it is that the twin’s adore so much. This novel is not just a story that revolves around a fangirl; this novel focuses on family relationships, mental illness, irrevocable love and what it truly means to flourish as you set out to start the beginning of your life. It is a perfect coming of age story, and I can’t recommend it enough!

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›