5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Send-off
Season two of Dollhouse sees the return of Echo, who is now crafting her own identity inside the Dollhouse. This years' show is far more accessible, emotive and better paced than the last. However, this season does conlcude what has been one of the most original, twisted and beleivable shows to hit our televisions in a long time.
We start with a similar scenario to...
Published on 14 Oct. 2010 by Marty

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it my wife & her mates were confused by the apocalyptic ending
Same as title...if it had ended in second last but with a potential for cock up that would've worked for both of us
Published 14 months ago by ANDY B

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Send-off, 14 Oct. 2010
Marty (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
We start with a similar scenario to the first season; Echo is sent on a few missions and returns to the Dollhouse, only this time she's beginning to remember past engagements. This evolves rapidly therein, as do most of the character's storylines. This is no bad thing; the pace of this show is exciting, and I think how the producers have tied evrerything up is perfect.
We finally see "The Attic", a place where problematic Dolls are kept; but as is always with the show, it's not its only purpose. We see the return of Topher, the scientific genius who ultimately becomes a hero. Adelle returns in a different light, Summer Glau (Firefly) and Alexis Denisof (Angel) are introduced as two of the most memorable characters this season.
Epitaph Two closes the show, and is an answer to the apocalyptic finale to the first season. We get everything answered, and in true Joss Whedon style, it pulls on the heart strings. This show will keep you guessing until the very, very end.
I honestly feel this show is Whedons' strongest yet, and Eliza Dushku is an incredible leading lady and producer. Had it not been for the fact not many people saw it, Dollhouse could have grown into something else entirely, so I'm glad this show had the run time it did; 26 episodes of one of the best shows I've ever seen. Good job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cautionary Tale?, 18 Feb. 2010
A. C. Brooks - See all my reviews
This is a show that was never given the chance it deserved, by the network or by the critics. In the words of Alan Tudyk, "In my experience, Joss Whedon shows are awesome...and then Fox cancels them", something that makes it all the harder to watch as another greatly underrated show of his passes us by.

Those who have seen the first season will notice a remarkable change of pace here; plots and character development fly by, but know that these are not left unfulfilled. In truth, we learn much more about the Dolls themselves, Rossum (the company behind the Dollhouse), and how they set about justifying their actions in an empty and unsympathetic world.

Considering that Dollhouse was originally planned to be a 4 or 5-season show, with proper character and narrative arcs teased out (see: Dewitt's alcoholism, the mystery of the Head of Rossum and how the tech goes global), it is genuinely surprising just how well they managed to cram everything into this 13-episode swansong. One must remember that this second season was only one of a number of directions in which the show could have headed - anyone who has seen the unaired pilot ('Echo', a personal favourite) from the first season will know why. In retrospect, the creative team probably chose the most logical narrative direction to wrap things up with, but it's always interesting to wonder: what if?

Joss Whedon's shows are known for their symbolism and provocative themes, and this second series of Dollhouse is no exception. We watch as the main characters writhe beneath the clutches of a psychopathic corporation bent only on self-preservation and profit; how people are used, abused and discarded, marginalised from mainstream society; we see the mighty fall from power, and how the smallest of us can rise up; how technology, whilst simplifying our lives, may prove to be our eventual undoing. Throughout the course of the show, we are shown how ideas are never inherently good or evil, but it is how they are implemented that determines their nature: "There is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so". There are moral extremes demonstrated by both the 'heroes' and 'villains', but there are always shades of grey behind the characters' motivations. The many parallels with our own world are strikingly realistic, often to the point of being alarming. I wonder if some of it touched a nerve with Fox...

As per usual, Joss picked relatively unknown or little-heard-of actors and made small-screen stars out of them. Fran Kranz, Olivia Williams, Alan Tudyk (WASH!), Amy Acker and Enver Gjokaj stood out as some of the best for me.
The first season was panned by critics for being slow to begin with, and for contributing nothing to the overall story arc. However, for those of us who stuck with it, we were rewarded with some of Joss' best work ever; this trend of Whedon-y goodness heartily continues this season as well, particular standouts being "The Attic", "Belonging", "Epitaph Two" and "Getting Closer". The entire season is stellar, and should have lived longer, but these were just my favourites.

People could simply see this show as a stylish combination of 'Alias' and 'The Manchurian Candidate', but there's a lot more to it than that suggests. I guarantee you this: you'll feel conflicted. You won't know who to root for. You'll laugh along, cry with, and genuinely care about the characters Whedon draws up here.

Dollhouse, whilst not quite matching the heights of Buffy, Angel and Firefly, remains one of the most delightfully twisted, shocking, profound and intelligent series I've ever seen, and it's a trend that Fox probably won't continue. Dollhouse may be slightly sub-par for Whedon, but it still towers above every other show that aired at the time (most of which are still on the air today). It dared to ask questions others wouldn't, and was very much a thinking-man's thriller while it lasted. Science-fiction and social commentary are always a great pairing, and Joss doesn't shy away from either. It could well be the show's parting gift to show us that maybe we are programmable after all. If you're looking for something different, something that's not afraid to twist your perceptions and make you uncomfortable, you've found it. It's dark, cerebral and a really intense ride. Enjoy :)

Note: In case you read this review and wondered why there are so many negative references to Fox, just know that I tend to dislike their creative decisions with regards to several massively-popular-but-ultimately-unprofitable shows they have cancelled in recent years, despite incredible pleading and support from fans, I being one of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-rated series, 4 July 2010
Though possibly not destined to be an SF classic, Dollhouse has some great ideas, and the core idea of being able to switch personalities is used very well 95% of the time. Series 2 sensibly dodges the out of kilter ending of series 1, (though it is used later) and pushes the possibilities of the main idea more, my only real issue is that, like so many series these days, there has to be a conspiracy somewhere. I realise we need bad guys but there was still a lot of mileage in exploring the use of the dolls by clients, Echo learning about the fact she's a doll etc. Still, more great TV from Joss Whedon but do watch series 1 first.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific fun, 15 Jan. 2011
I was disappointed this series was axed and thought season 2 might be a rush job. However, the axe seems to have concentrated the mind - it's tightly written and pacey. It's much better than series 1, which I enjoyed a lot, but I guess another series majoring on cute costume changes and weird scenarios may have got boring *cough* "Alias". The characters develop a lot, especially Echo's, and the plot is full of twists and turns without getting crazy. DVD has some nice extras - watch out for the sit-down with the actors and "Victor"'s reaction when "Sienna" comes into the room - very sweet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 10 Dec. 2010
Kimmie here - Second and final season of Dollhouse - we're both Joss Whedon fans anyway and personally I think this is his best creation to date. It's such a shame it was cancelled, but at least it got a proper ending. I can't help but feel it needed one more season to properly cover everything though, as the story seems to move so fast. It's highly engrossing and enjoyable, it just makes you sad it's over.
Scripting, direction, music cues and acting are superb - Most notably the fantastic Fran Kranz who plays Topher Brink. An excellent series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic finale, 18 Nov. 2010
I guess knowing that you're going to be canceled forces you to be hyper creative! No diluted storylines here, the season starts with a bang and never lets up, throwing twists and turns at every corner and reaching a satisfying ending, no small feat. All major characters get their 15 minutes (or more) of fame and it is really hard to let them go in the end. Yes, you could wish it had gone on longer, no doubt, but I personnally find myself happy of having 24 episodes of one of the finest sci fi show ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars here we go again!!, 3 Jun. 2010
Mr. R. W. Graham (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
joss whedon is just too smart for tv. that's the only explanation i can think of as to why his shows seem to get so poorly treated. angel, firefly, and now dollhouse. all classic shows, all cancelled before their time. dollhouse season 2 picks up where season 1 left off. at least joss whedon manages to wrap everything up and not leave us all hanging. performances are excellent throughout, with eliza dushku and olivia williams for me being the standouts. the final episode itself is full of twists, and i get the feeling that if allowed to continue, then dollhouse could have become one of the all time great sci fi shows. once again we have seen a smart, intelligent sci fi show cancelled. maybe dollhouse could do a firefly and come back as a feature film but i doubt it. a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 4 Oct. 2010
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was very dumb. I watched the first two episodes from season one and then gave up. Look, I'm really sorry, I said I was dumb. The I saw the rave reviews and bought the DVD box set and then I was hooked. Dollhouse is a real treat and not a strange version of Joe 90 the old puppet show. As with both Buffy and the brilliant Firefly, this is clever, clever stuff. It's deeper and more thoughtful then Whedon's other work as you start to explore humanity and what is real and what is not. Season 2 has some real shocks in it and many twists and diversions as Whedon cranks it up considerably.
As with Firefly, the studios do not appreciate genius and this series was brought to a close much much too soon. But at least Whedon was allowed to give it a finish so at least we were allowed to see it through to an end (although a much sooner one then we had hoped).

Buy this, it is worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Were the 'Messages from inside the Dollhouse' explained?, 15 Dec. 2010
Legal Vampire (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This second and final series of Dollhouse had to be made with a reduced budget. The writers only knew half way through making it that they had to compress the story to make this the last Season. They mostly coped surprisingly well, although as an economy in several episodes the studio required the script writers to work with the absence of one or other of the main supporting characters.

The revelation towards the end of the series of the identity of the ruthless head of the Rossum Corporation was for me unconvincing. Was it planned from the beginning, or just an expedient to wrap up the story when cancellation and budgetary constraints required?

A number of producers, directors, script writers etc. whose names will be familiar to followers of Joss W's other series contributed to Dollhouse 2, Tim Minear and David Solomon writing or directing some of the best episodes. However, other important names like Marti Noxon and Jane Espenson were not there, as far as I noticed. Joss's brother Jed Whedon and sister-in-law Maurissa Tanchaeron were involved in a number of the episodes but these were not, to me, quite as good, although still worth watching.

The opening episode of this Season seemed slighlty flat for me but it improved after that.

Of the regular actors, particularly impressive this year were Eliza Dushku ('Echo'), Dichen Lachman ('Sierra'), Enver Gjokaj ('Victor'), Olivia Williams ('Adele De Witt'), Fran Kranz ('Topher') and possibly Summer Glau. Liza Lapira (Topher's asssitant Ivy) might well have been good if the series had lasted long enough to allow time for her character's role to develop.

(It says something for the cosmopolitanism of Hollywood that the actors/actresses named in the previous paragraph are respectively: a half-Albanian American, a half-Tibetan Australian, an Albanian, English, American (of German descent by his name?), American of Ulster and German descent, and American of mixed Phillipino, Spanish and Chinese descent.)

Of the non-regular cast, Stacey Scowely is really good as Senator Perrin's wife.

The central idea of a technology that allows temporary or pemanent imprinting of new personalities on individuals lets us see several of the actors play more than one character. In one case two actors play the same character, when they make a 'back up' copy of him: Enver Gjokaj playing Fran Kranz playing Topher is uncannily right. [Almost as good as Sarah Michelle Gellar 'playing Eliza Dushku playing Faith' when their characters' personalities are swapped between bodies in the episode 'Who are You?' in another Joss Whedon series, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'].

The characters of Topher and Adele De Witt develop this Season as they begin to see the full implications of the work in which they are engaged.

Dollhouse 2 is good, sometimes excellent and much more original than most television series, although to me its creator Joss Whedon's best series to date are:

Seasons 1-3 and 5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Seasons 2-5 of Angel
Firefly, with its film continuation Serenity

Dollhouse's principal star Eliza Dushku's best television series to date that I know of are

Season 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Tru Calling

Query to anyone who has watched both Seasons: the 'Messages from inside the Dollhouse' conveyed by Echo and, memorably, November to Paul Ballard in Dollhouse Season 1, did we ever discover who sent them or why?

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker, still witty, 10 Dec. 2010
Dr. Andrew N. Papanikitas (London) - See all my reviews
This series continues where it left off. The creator of buffy angel and firefly still has it. Knowing what is coming gives the narrative an edge, especially as each step the Rossum corportation takes towards apocalypse is revealed. The philosophical exploration of identity continues. Highlights include the two Brinks.

Instinct