on 28 November 2013
I felt compelled to write a review about this product. It truly is a thing of beauty and I am a person who is, on the whole, somewhat difficult to get excited about most inanimate objects...

As detailed in the product description, a 2 piece construction, rubber inner cradle which fits into a harder plastic outer.
The fit and finish of the 2 pieces is such that once it is all fitted together it genuinely looks like a single piece of work. The rubberised part of the case, once the phone is inserted, actually seals around the screen just covering the edges, meaning that the whole thing when snapped together just looks like a very sexy, solid phone. It also means that my screen protector cannot be easily lifted off the edge of the screen by a stray or over excitable finger swipe or catch on your clothing when removing from a pocket meaning no lifting edges and bits of dust and scum under your protector. HURRAH!

The only thing giving away that this is a phone covered by a rugged case is when you look at the stereo jack port and the charger/speaker interface.
In spite of this being a rugged case and that I feel confident that my phone will survive a fall while it is encased in it, it is ridiculously slim and adds virtually nothing to the whole package in terms of size. Very very slick, modern and clean looking case.

I purchased the white version of this case. The white outer case contrasting against the black rubber inner just looks and screams absolute class. It truly is the best case I have ever seen on a phone in all of my days.

It arrived in a padded jiffy bag. The case itself comes sealed inside a hard clam type display case with what I have read on here must be the first gen, pre-release design version rubber insert that doesn't quite fit properly. However, also enclosed in the jiffy was another slightly different rubber insert which, according to my current case chubby, is the new design rubber insert that fits exactly and tight as a gnat's chuff.
You also get a hologram and a serial number to check it isn't a forgery on the SPIGEN website.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND CASE. IF CASE HAD HOLE BIG ENOUGH I WOULD PROBABLY MAKE LOVE TO THE CASE.
on 8 May 2014
Its study, looks great, the lip has protected my screen on tables and its protected my nexus 5 countless times already. My dogs are huge and have sent it flying across the room on more than one occasion. Its also protected it from my 45kg dog standing on the back of it (on the sofa). So I'd say its done its job brilliantly and hasn't even marked.
on 30 July 2014
I know there's already a review here where someone says if the headphone hole was bigger, they'd make love to it.. I'm just echoing that sentiment.
I love this case. For older phones I've spent between 5 and 8 quid on gel cases, a bit more for one that was two tone with a hard back.. Always was happy but they were never amazing quality. This one is the most expensive I've bought but worth every penny.
I was shocked at the quality of its manufacturing and the fit. Both are right up there where you want them.

After using the phone for a month with no case, this definitely feels a lot bigger in your hand, so the name "slim" armour is slightly misleading, but armour it is. I prefer it now, feels far more solid than the plastic framed nexus 5 on its own.

If I was going to be picky I'd say the back could be thinner by say 0.3mm (as when you look in the headphone gap you can see where the back of the nexus is).. and the front edging thicker by maybe 0.2 just for added screen protection.. But it really is a good case. Power button not as responsive as without a case but what do you expect? If uncased is 10/10, it's now about 7/10. Volume are 8/10. I think it will become better as the case rubber ages and softens a bit with use.

Doesn't interfere with the screen protector that I put on the same day, so very happy. It'll really last the life of the phone!
on 2 December 2013
I get quite paranoid these days when my nice new phone doesn't have a case to protect it. I learnt from experience that phones do drop onto floors and get scratched in pockets! so was thrilled to see that this case was petty sturdy and felt like it could take some knocks. it looks smart, I chose the white and black option and despite a few doubts regarding marks, have been pleased to see that it has not marked at all and is still as new.
very easy to fit and feels secure in the hand, with a smooth but grippable case. I put a screen protector on too and doesn't interfere with that at all.
very pleased with this case, more colour options would have been nice though.
on 20 June 2014
This review is specifically for the View version of this case (the one with the flip cover).

I recently bought a Nexus 5. I was upgrading from a Moto G, and on that phone I had a fantastic flip cover that closed magnetically, and the rear of the case was actually the back of the phone so there was zero bulk added. It was a beautiful bit of kit. So naturally I was looking for something similar for the N5.

But there aren't too many options for a flip cover with the N5 - you have the official case that doesn't close magnetically (and is very expensive), you have a cheap Chinese knock-off, and a myriad of tacky faux-leather cases that I won't go near with a barge pole. Finally, you have the Spigen Slim Armor View... and that's the one I bought.

First impressions are that the case is built to a good standard - it's solid and looks pretty snazzy. Be aware this thing will add BULK to your phone.

Second impression - the window is just a hole. There's no plastic or glass there to protect your phone. I use flip covers for that extra protection, but this hole completely negates the point of the case. It's an utterly bizarre design choice.

And then you have to deal with Spigen's app that lets you use the window to take calls and see your notifications without opening the flap. I'm not exaggerating here when I say that Spigen's app is the buggiest piece of rubbish I've ever used. It's as if they got the work experience boy to code it on his lunch breaks. How on Earth did this thing get past Quality Control?

Luckily there is a third-party app you can use called Style View Cover, but it's built for Samsung phones so there's only limited functionality. It's slow too, and often does the opposite of what you want it to do due to the way it senses if the cover is closed (it uses the proximity sensor, which is quite sensitive).

All in all this case just isn't worth the hassle and I've already taken it off my phone. If they brought out a version without the silly window then I might be tempted to use that. As it stands, however, I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Spigen.
on 5 August 2014
This is a reasonably high quality case, but not quite up to the standard I was hoping for. It's a two piece design - you first put the phone into a rubbery semi-soft case, and then fit the plastic back around it, to provide a secure fit. The fit is good, except that the plastic back doesn't stay completely flush along the top edge - an aesthetic thing, but disappointing and spoils the high quality look. The plastic back is quite difficult to get on and off, which is annoying if you're going to have to do that regularly. It is also a magnet for fingerprints and scratches.

On the plus side, it looks decent and I get the impression it'll offer very good protection to your phone, which is obviously its primary objective. However, it is called a 'Slim Armor' case, which is something of a misnomer, as one could hardly describe this bulky case as 'slim'. It, in fact, adds considerable bulk and weight to my Nexus 5, and as a result, I don't think I'll be using it very much.
on 7 November 2013
Looks good and feels solid, however the power button is now over-sensitive and is triggered almost by blowing near the button, rather than a firm press which it should be. Will stick with it for now, but if it doesn't improve I'll have to change.
on 21 November 2013
Got this case today and I was totally shocked that I received 2 rubber cases :) I think Spigen heard about the problems with buttons on Nexus 5 and acted immediately. No problems with the buttons whatsoever. Amazing and solid case !
on 6 December 2013
I'm loving this case so far, it looks and feels really good to use.

I've so far had no problems with the power button that many had reported and I feel 100% safe that if I dropped my new Nexus that it would be safe.
on 16 November 2013
Ordered this reasonably priced protective case for my Nexus 5 at the same time of ordering my Nexus. They both pretty much arrived within the same time frame which was great. Well packaged the slim Armour was definitely made for this phone and slipped on really easy but not so easy as to not fit, it fits perfectly.

Other reviewers seem to have had issues with the fit and obstructing the power button etc. This is slightly alarming as it makes this case a bit of a lottery as far as quality control goes.. I seem to have been lucky as mine does exactly what it says on the tin.

The Nexus being a fairly bland phone as far as external design goes. It seems to have been designed for use with a case. I like that fact as I always put a protective case on my phones as (I guess) do most people. Paying for an external design concept on a handset (to me) just seems like a big waste of money.

I would say go with this case but BEWARE you may be unlucky and get a Friday afternoon constructed case that will have you tearing your hair out in frustration - personally mine is just great and adds to the look of the phone giving it a great rugged look-and-feel. I have dropped my phone and the case does it's job nicely...