5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for... I hope the author brings out a sequel!!!, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Richard Hammond's Great Mysteries of the World (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book, very enjoyable to read, and with a nice selection of interesting topics; it should have something to keep everyone happy... Having liked it so much on the kindle, I then bought the hardback version, as a Christmas present for my friend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 26 Jan 2014
Got this for my 9 year old son. We read it together at bedtime and both love it. I have to say that I have learnt quite a bit from reading this too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for mystery lovers!, 13 Dec 2013
This is a great book for all ages. If you love mysteries or not, it's still a excellent read for Richard Hammond fans. It's full of interesting facts and great to brush up on your history. Would recommend highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice interesting read about exciting mysteries, 14 Jan 2014
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

General Overview (No Spoilers)

I liked this book, it was fun and informative at the same time, but not at all heavy going. It had nice pictures and fun interesting facts. Anything that may be been difficult for younger readers was explained but not in a patronising way. It was nice how it was left up to the reader to choose what they think happened in each mystery. The descriptions of each story are in depth but quick. Mentions of similar stories pop in every now and then, which I quite like. It would make a nice book for younger readers.

4 stars out of 5.

Step by Step Overview (Spoilers)

0% - Looks good, aimed at younger readers, as an adult, I am hoping it wills till engage my interest. (It did). There was too much, to write done about each mystery so I chose my favourite one from each section.

The Mary Celeste

It's always been one of my favourite mysteries. It would make me happy for life to know what happened to those ten people, did they somehow get hurt or make it so safety but not able or willing to contact anyone? How spooky would have it been going aboard first on a deserted ship not knowing what you would find? I liked the little bit about the flying dutchman and the story of Mutiny on the Bounty, it's a nice addition to hear about other similar stories. A cursed ship, why those passengers, not any others?

The Mary Celeste was in the Weird Waters section, other mysteries in this section was : The Lost City of Atlantis, Mythical Mermaids, The Bermuda Triangle, The Philadelphia Experiment.

The Loch Ness Monster

I am from Inverness, so I grew up hearing the story. Even have a family joke that my dad is the monster. Did not know Loch Ness held that much water, wow. If it would hide anywhere it would be there. Why did sightings increase in 1933? I did notice that Hammond failed to mention that Loch Ness has a lot of underwater caves where the monster could hide. The problem I have with the tree gas theory is that Loch Ness cannot be the loch/lake in the world this would happen in?

The Loch Ness Monster was in the Creepy Creatures section, also in this section were: The Yeti, Vampires and Werewolves.

The Roswell Incident

I chose this one since I used to love the T.V. show, Roswell. So maybe aliens do exist. The Air balloon story sounds like a cover up to me. I was too engrossed in this story to write much, sorry.

This mystery was in the Alien Encounters section, also in this section are: The UFO Enigma, The Nazca Lines and Crop Circles.

Pirate Treasure

Did not know that a pirate's life on average was two years, wow that's short. If there was lots of buried treasure just lying around wouldn't people have found lots of it by now. I think they would sell it keep it, but not bury it. each to their own I suppose.

Pirate treasure was in the Ancient Treasure section, also in this section was: The Curse of the Pharaoh's, The Legend of El Dorado and The Crystal Skull Conundrum.

Who would I recommend this book to?

Anyone who likes mysteries. Also I would give it children aged 8-14 as a present. I's really well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 17 July 2014
I loved this book!It was funny as well as factual.I liked how each chapter was split into sections.I like factual books so I liked this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for a book!, 12 Dec 2013
A. Buckwell "ridinglenny456" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Children love myths and mysteries and this book delivers in every way, however disappointingly the pictures are in black and white which aren't quite so engaging for the younger audience. Furthermore, given the price l would've expected some internal gloss photographs perhaps, hence why it dropped a star in my rating.