5.0 out of 5 stars awesome
ok this is easily the best show on tv bar none, more beleivable than lost, more tense than 24. it has everything a good show should have and more.

the characters are amazing, although at first i didn't like michael, but T-bag, link, sucre, C-note, haywire and last but not least john abruzzi john abruzzi.

the cons aren't the only ones who turn in a...
Published on 15 Jun. 2007 by dolfanuk

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly bad.......
This really is a load of rubbish - albeit fairly entertaining rubbish - but most of the time it just insults the viewer's intelligence. There is no prison cliche left untrammelled: sadistic and violent prison guard? Check. Well-meaning but ineffectual prison governor? Check. Psychotic but camp homosexual prisoner? Check. Prisoner who knows people who know people, who get...
Published on 29 Mar. 2013 by Phoebe

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 15 Jun. 2007
dolfanuk (Wigan, England) - See all my reviews

the cons aren't the only ones who turn in a great performance as the warden played by stacy keach is great as is officer beelick. the attorneys trying to uncover the truth and the agents trying to suppress it all factor into the greatest show ever.

so what i'm trying to say is buy it, watch it, then re-watch it. you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An international phenomenon, 29 April 2007
This is a series of the most superb quality. Hats off to the writers who combine complex plots with psychological thrills all the way. Not one for the fainthearted, bloodshed and emotion spills into every episode, keeping you gripped from beginning to end. With a terrific cast it is no wonder that Prison Break has created such a storm on both sides of the Atlantic. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entralling, 16 Oct. 2007
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Prison Break slipped by me when it first appeared and I only watched it because I have seen all of 24, Rescue Me etc. Prison Break, though, has been a revelation.

You do have to suspend a certain amount of disbelief, but I want to be entertained and I am willing to give programme makers enough creative license to make that happen. Having said that, Prison Break feels authentic, the sets are amazing and all the details have been laboured over to distraction so one never feels short changed by the plot. The characters are brilliant too with exactly the right pitch between brutal self-preservation and intriguing back story. The stand outs are Lincoln and T-Bag - for me - with T-Bag getting special mention for being the most unsentimental character committed to film. You hate him, but Fox River would be a duller place without him.

But it is the plot that makes this show stand out. The writers have almost recreated the '40's cliffhanger b-movie feel with every episode having an ending that makes you think: Now what will they do? The interweaving plots are just great and the writers should be applauded for not being lazy.

Finally, it's the details that make this great. The fact that there is no swearing, yet Fox River feels like the most oppressive prison ever. The tatoos, the small details that are written into the story that only become apparent 3 or 4 eps down the line. Clever.

Overall an excellent production that makes you want to buy season 2 (which is just as good, BTW).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is better than I ever thought it could be., 22 Dec. 2006
John Kimble (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A friend of mine who is a fellow fan of Lost and 24 told me about a show called Prison Break some time ago and being the good guy he is he lent me the first half of the 1st series. For some reason I left it sitting on my dressing table for a few months to gather dust.

It was only one sleepless night, when there was nothing else on TV, that I dismissively put the first episode on to see what this show was all about. many hours later in the early hours of the morning I was hooked!

I don't exaggerate when I say that I really rate this program highly. Every character has a story, every plot a subplot and every episode a jaw dropping cliff hanger. The casting is superb and the story captivating.

For me this has all the right ingredients in abundance. At the time of writing they are currently halfway though the second season and I'm still hooked.

If you haven't heard of Prison Break but you like the format of Lost, 24 etc then try season one. Don't wait like I did, this show has everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds Extra Compulsive Element to Addiction Value, 29 Mar. 2007
Prison Break is one of the best series ever telecast. Its addictive value is so high and it's not surprising if you watch all 22 episodes all in one go. Season 1 has distinct parallels to 'The Great Escape' whereas Season 2 has 'Fugitive' undertones.Wentworth Miller as Schofield is utterly amazing and the absolute villain, 'Teabag' really is a Type Z character. The characterization of each of the fugitives is impressing and it's hard to say who really has 2nd billing after Schofield.
Burrows: Schofield's elder brother framed and sent to death row
Abruzzi; Mafia Boss who eventually turns to Religion
Bellick:The sadistic prison guard
Teabag: Racist, Bisexual Sadist (Any worse)
Dr Tancredi: Prison Doctor with a soft side for Schofield
Westmoreland: The veteran prisoner with an expensive secret
Agent Kellerman: Similar to Agent Smith from Matrix & just as bad

I always thought that Lost, 24 and Desperate Hours were addictive but Prison Break adds the compulsive element. Can't wait for Season 2

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than I expected it to be, 14 Oct. 2013
Okay I'll start by saying that this show is extremely far fetched. Not that I've been to prison, but I can't imagine a super max facility in the US being so laid back about giving their prisoners (one of whom is on death row) access to pick axes, sledgehammers, crowbars and a whole host of other potentially deadly weapons. Fair enough, these guys are part of a very select group who get to do maintenance but still, I just don't see it. Nor do I find it at all believable then when Lincoln is awaiting exection in solitary for attacking a guard, he would be allowed to keep a box of matches so he could strike them and watch them burn down, looking thoughtful while he does so.

I saw the adverts for Prison Break way back when it was first aired and remembered looking at Michael Scofield's tattoos and thinking "how can that be a map?" It's not a map per-se. More his way of remembering his escape plan. Scofield is revealed to have a genius level intellect and the type of mind that can formulate extremely complex ideas which the rest of us wouldn't be able to create, nevermind retain. His tattoos are his gentle reminders and fail safe in case things go wrong. And they do. Every episode.

Scofield deliberately has himself incarcerated at Fox River where his brother is on death row for a murder he swears he did not commit. This show really has two plots running; Michael's attempt to break his brother Lincoln out before his execution and Veronica (Michael's friend and his brother's lawyer) and her attempts to clear Lincoln's name. Veronica is thwarted and pursued by the Secret Service representing an organisation known only as "The Company" who are alleged to have framed Lincoln for the murder of the Vice President's brother.

You know that as soon as you switch the show on that something'll happen to screw up the plan, and it will end on a cliff hanger. I think if you take Prison Break as simply entertainment then you'll enjoy it. There are lots of shows coming out the US at the moment that have a lot more depth than this, but for something to sit down and watch without having to think too much abut it, Prison Break meets the requirements really well.

Scofield cannot escape the prison alone though, and does need to utilise the prison connections to get what he wants. He needs the Chicago mob boss on his side so he can make use of his transport once out of the prison. He needs his cell mate's silence for digging from the cell, he needs the mysterious but elderly trustee's alleged money to make his disappearance after escape... and in this we're introduced to some of the more colourful character in Fox River, usually the characters who are the most notorious in the prison population.

That said, the characters are perhaps a bit on the stereotypical side but I did find them likable despite their backgrounds. T-Bag is probably the most interesting in terms of development. Initially portrayed almost identically to Bloggs from The Shawshank Redemption (a sleezy look at the young lads who come into the jail, taking one 'favourite' for his cellmate) he does change somewhat when he stumbles across Scofield's break out team. T-Bag is actually quite a funny man, charming, intelligent but also ruthless, cold, manipulative and self centred. Not someone you'd turn your back on but for all his faults, he has his uses.

I admit I've enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to and will continue to watch the remaining 3 seasons. It's got more than a few plot holes and is almost completely unbelievable it's so far feteched but for something to watch to pass away the long winter nights, Prison Break does the job nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Series, 26 Sept. 2006
P. O'Connor "Sci-Fi Fan" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I came to Prison Break through the DVDs and I am grateful that I did. It is compelling viewing and if I had to watch it on a weekly basis my nerves would have been shot to pieces. Luckily with the DVDs I could watch over a weekend without biting my nails down too far. By the end of episode one you realise that it's fine to root for some of the bad guys because they are only bad through circumstances.

Michael is a genius and Wentworth Miller plays him so very well. I immediately recognised him from an episode of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. The most chilling bad guy is T-Bag, I sat through each of his scenes praying that someone would put him out of his misery but secretly glad that he was still around as I love to hate him. I was surprised when I discovered that the actor who plays him (Robert Knepper) appeared in the episode of Star Trek: TNG as Deanna Troi's betrothed. What a transformation. Kudos to Mr Knepper for creating such a sleazeball character.

The scariest part of this series is the Government conspiracy. You can't help feeling that Michael and his brother are fighting a losing battle as the bodies pile up. If you like your drama tense then this is a must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Lost & 24.....Prison Break is the new #1, 7 Oct. 2006
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I'd seen Prison Break advertised but couldn't believe that they'd be able to make an entire series out of one simple plan....to break out of prison. Then a friend said he'd seen it and raved about it so I took the plunge. Damn am I glad I did. Prison Break is definitely THE best series ever. It knocks spots off Lost and 24 and I see many awards in its future!

The plot centers around Michael Scofield. He is an architect whose brother (Lincoln) has been put on death row for killing the Vice-Presidents brother. Lincoln has always professed his innocence and Michael slowly starts to believe that he's innocent. So Michael hatches a plan......he holds up a bank with the express purpose of getting himself incarcerated at Fox River Penitentiary where Lincoln is being held.....once there he plans to help Lincoln escape.

Meanwhile Lincolns ex-girlfriend takes over as his attorney in a last ditch effort to get a stay of execution. She slowly starts to uncover that Lincolns case was fast-tracked and believes that somebody wants Lincoln dead.....quickly!

The star of this series is definitely Wentworth Miller. He plays the part of Michael to perfection. We see him as a doting brother and fantastic tactician in how he plans everything down to the last detail. And when Dr Sara Tancredi looks into Michaels eyes......all I can say is that I defy any woman in the room not to want to melt into those eyes!

Dominic Purcell plays the part of Lincoln as a man who has accepted his fate and you feel the guy was made for this part. The most disturbing character of all is definitely T-bag played by Robert Knepper. This guy makes my skin crawl and every episode without fail you hope somebody will finish him off. But at the same time you want him in the next episode because he's the guy everyone loves to hate.

How can I possibly rave about Prison Break enough? Impossible. All I can say is that this is my new top series and Lost and 24 are gone and forgotten!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must watch...more...., 20 April 2007
C. E. Magos (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This is by far the most gripping, interesting, twisted TV show I have ever seen. The cast of prison character is absolutely spot-on,the difficulties encountered by the inmates really make you get hooked to watch more and more of the show.

The only critique is the casting of the bad guys, seems there they have missed completely the spot. For example the main Agents doing the cover-up look either effeminate or total wussies, not hands-on agents, and they are also working for a woman that wants to be president of the USA.

Aside of those minor glitches, the prison break is really compelling, with many problems arising from inmates, guards and whatnot, keeping you glued to your seat, always wanting for more.

Each episode is a step towards freedom, either by gaining, from the protagonist, one new tool, connection or whatnot to continue the work needed towards freedom.

All in all, a personal favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch TV!, 29 Sept. 2006
What a blinding show! Every aspect of this series from the depth of the characters and the actors who portray them to the plot twists and effects are all excellent! I'm gripped from the moment I turn on the TV to the time the end credits start to roll. It's like watching one big, long action movie. An early highlight in the series is the two parter 'Riots, Drills and the Devil' - all sorts going on there.

I recommended the show to a friend, who hadn't heard of the show before I mentioned it. But he promptly went out and bought this boxset and now he's as hooked as I am. Anyone into action movies, or prison drama is going to love it.

Pilot