5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly, it seems to get even better
I'll be honest: I'm writing this review before the fifth series has finished, but it's already clear that this one (twice as many episodes as usual) is not merely up to the usual high standards - it is, if anything, better still!

Published on 8 Feb. 2008 by Dr. George L. Sik

3.0 out of 5 stars it is okay
yes I enjoyed series 5 but the series at this time was definitely on a downward slide. prompt delivery from amazon and all in good condition
Published 20 months ago by Paul Preston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly, it seems to get even better, 8 Feb. 2008
Dr. George L. Sik (Epsom, Surrey) - See all my reviews

Apparently one-dimensional 'joke' characters like the Maguire sons Shane and Mickey are given meaty, fascinating storylines (not a little moving, at times). As always, everyone is flawed but no one is entirely unsympathetic - I'm really getting to like the Maguires, which I never thought I would (though Monica, the Gallaghers' mum, remains the least likable character).

Who would have thought that a character as central to the series as Lip (probably, along with Frank, THE central character) could disappear off to university and life carry on happily without him? He does appear - indeed, there is something very realistic about his estrangement from Mandy, the mother of his daughter - but he's no longer central to the action. If there is a new 'central' character, it looks as though Carl is stepping up to fill his shoes, though that would be unfair to Debbie, Ian and the others.

What is demonstrated in this series is how much of an ensemble piece Shameless is: everyone has their moments and everyone's contribution is excellent. And that, of course, is as it should be: it's all about community and helping one another out, after all. Shameless goes from strength to strength.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ONE YET, 24 April 2008
I have watched Shameless from the start and like most Shameless fans have been sorry to see characters go and have struggled to believe that the series could survive the loss of such big characters
How wrong was I with out doubt Shameless has gone from strength to strength
and just when you think it wouldn't be possible to better the last series,along came series 5 wonderful the best yet. Thank you everyone at Shameless

5.0 out of 5 stars Series 5 sees a return to form, 16 April 2008
D. Noakes "D. Noakes" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Some people felt that Series 4 of Shameless wasn't up to the standards of previous series (in particular, series one and two), and there are those who bang on about how much they miss Kev and Veronica, Steve and Fiona, Marty, and so on, but for shows to be successful they have to move on.

The Maguires come into their own in this series, and there is a warmth and humanity to Mimi and Paddy which was only hinted at in Series 4. That said, I still wouldn't want them living next door to me! Norma also becomes a tragic yet likeable character in this series. Carl Gallagher has evolved, and he seems to take the place of Lip, who's away at uni for most of this series.

I know it's said all the time, but there really aren't enough shows like this on our screen. There's only so much dross like X Factor and Britain's Got Talent we can take! Well done to Paul Abbott and the other writers and actors for what, for me, has been the most enjoyable TV series since Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Series 5.....5 stars, 13 April 2008
C. Colgan "clairbear1000" (London) - See all my reviews
I have to admit I had low expectations for this series. I have tonight sat and watched the last two episodes and have been nothing but impressed.
I thought the end would come when we lost Veonica, Kev last series and then Lip. But no, the endless shennanigan's of the Maguire's and the Gallagher's who were left has kept me hooked.
I for one will purchase the DVD for a re-watch time and time again.
Bring on Series 6. This isn't over yet.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Shameless-ly devoted., 18 Mar. 2008
K. Rodrigues (london, england) - See all my reviews
As an asian, we dont get many stories such as the lives of the families in shameless, where drugs, sex and rock and roll are deemed too much for our sensitive selves. It seems almost normal to the clan in chatsworth. When i moved here 2 years ago, my boyfriend introduced me to 'Shameless'. I had never before heard of it yet when i watched it, i didnt know wether to laugh at the dysfunctional families, or to cry that such things actually exist in some parts of england. I come for a tiny island, there are only 4 million of us, and though i am of mixed parentage(portugese and asian) never before had i seen such a programme!! I was intrigued by it and soon enough, was hooked. The characters are so colourful, they themselves paint a potrait which is sometimes hard to comprehend. Soon, season 1 ended, and i was left wanting, so i went out, bought the dvd and watched it all over again. It is now 5 seasons, and i am proud to say - i am a shamless expert and an addict. I even mimick the manchester accent and quote lines from the show in my day to day life! I have fallen in love with all the chracters, the Maguires especially. I dread to think when this series will end, but it will leave me anticipating for season 6. shameless is one not to be missed and its been a good 5 seasons so far - heres to many more to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 21 Aug. 2008
I've just finished watching Season 5 and have to say this was one of the best seasons for me, since Season 1 and 2 (which are still my favorites). Characters come and go, and some missed more than others, but the series goes on in strength, and there's never a dull moment on the estate. Great comedy TV for the open-minded adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than series 3 and 4, 29 July 2011
After the dip in series 3 and 4 I did go off the show a bit when this series started but then I ended up watching a couple of episodes and actually enjoyed it more. I'm still extremely disappointed that Kev and Veronica are no longer on the show but thats another story. With more episodes more and more characters are shown in more depth. I never thought I would come to like the Mcquire family. Then there was Kelly(Kevs sister) who seemed very volitle at first but shows there's more to her. We see more of Yvonne who I always found a great character with her feisty attitude. Mickey Mcguire makes me laugh so hard with his antics. There was of course the departure of Lip Gallagher but I did feel his character had gone as far as he could. Well I could go on all day but even though I still havn't seen every episode I actually enjoyed this series the most as it showed all the characters including some from the start in a lot more depth.

Just a shame that in my opinion from series 6 onwards the show has lost its soul due to more and more departures of characters from the start and the intro's from what I seen do not cut it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shameless? Oh yes..., 13 May 2009
Shameless is one of the best comedy/drama series that Channel 4 has ever produced. This series is no exception. It doesn't have a lot of 'extra features' but is still good for fans of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Shameless - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Can't believe I nearly quit this series after S3 as found it disappointing. Despite losing many much loved characters, new ones grow on you. Stories get better, The acting across the board is just perfect; so why is it only David Threfall is the only one still in the spotlight ?

3.0 out of 5 stars it is okay, 28 Aug. 2013