4.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but this also comes with a warning!!!
I've only just discovered this show via Four on demand, you can watch all of the episodes for free there, I only watched the first episode of this series and the first two of series 2 and I knew that I'd enjoy the rest, which is the case.

Published on 7 Aug. 2008 by Dazman

3.0 out of 5 stars Low rating due to the DVD fault...not the series itself
Published on 11 Jun. 2009 by T. Mcveigh

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but this also comes with a warning!!!, 7 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)

I came across a strange problem with this series, on the first disc it would not allow me to select an episode, I could select/watch the deleted scene no problem at all, the other 2 discs worked with no problems at all, the first disc does work in my other 2 DVD players though, so hopefully not many other people will endure this small inconvenience, or large if you have no other means of playing the first 3 episodes.

Outrageous is the one word I'd use for this series, where comic actors can and do do just about anything for a laugh, expect totally over the top comedy with I guess alot of generally childish humour, but I've no problems with that, if you have a broad sense of humour then I'm sure that at least 90% of people will love this, if not then it's best left alone for the rest of us to enjoy.

I've tried to watch Scrubs, but for me Green Wing far outstrips that, I honestly don't know what comedy to compare this to, so I won't, but the Office or Scrubs this isn't, at least not for me anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life saving comedy!, 19 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this by accident on tv and couldn't believe how funny it was and how individual. It's like nothing else around because it's not bland or politically correct, it's not grotesque, and it's not trying to make the viewer squirm with embarrassment. Some scenes fall flat , but the rest work so well and the way it's made also helps. Much of the show feels ad libbed around a script which needs a good cast to be effective, and this array are excellent. Good to see Gordon Brittass's wife has found a job! I hope those who have never heard of it give it a chance because it's in a league of its own. There's a lot of good reviews here for a non primetime comedy and there's a good reason for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% hilarious, 30 May 2010
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is absolutely hilarious but I daresay not to everyone's taste as the humour is quite quirky. You cannot readily compare 'Green Wing' to anything else but if you like 'Black Books', then you will love it!

Green Wing is set in a hospital and follows the high jinks and mishaps of the the staff therein, with hilarious results. I'm not going to detail too much about the series as it's very plot led and would give the game away. A lot of the humour is based upon a love triangle between 'Mac', (an effortlessly cool surgeon), Guy Secretan, (an odious anesthetist) and their love interest,Dr Caroline Todd. There are loads of characters and sub plots but this enhances rather than detracts from the humour. Michele Gomez plays a sociopathic staff counsellor and knows how to ham it up (you'll realise that's a pun if you make it to series 2).

Some reviewers have complained about the characters lacking depth but I don't think that's a pre requisite for a comedy. In fact, the whole point is that the characters are meant to be caricatures of sorts and, whether we like it or not, this is the basis of most comedy. All characters and acting are superb and the timing is second to none.

I suppose the only way to describe Green Wing is that it is like ER on acid with a touch of Salvador Dali.

5.0 out of 5 stars Character-Driven Classic, 3 April 2006
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
'The sitcom is dead' they cry, but surely they can't trace the fingerprints on the murder weapon to the insane geniuses behind this show. 'Green Wing' does what many classic comedy series have done before - ripped up the rulebook and broke new ground. 'Green Wing' features episodes almost double the length of your conventional sitcom and slinky, helter-skelter camera tricks that you would normally expect to see in some sort of avant garde movie.
But what really makes this a very different sort of comedy is that it could really be a Drama. Yes, that's right. Because unlike other comedies, 'Green Wing' doesn't just plonk a group of one dimensional characters together for the sake of cramming in as many gags as possible. It is far more interested in the dynamics of plot and, perhaps more significantly, character. The protagonists are not just ciphers for jokes: we actually care about and are interested in what they are doing. They drive the action, and not vice versa. No other sitcom (at least to my mind) places this much emphasis on character.
The characters themselves are, almost without exception, utterly bonkers. But there is logic to their actions and we can almost (almost) recognize them from our daily lives. We've all stumbled across a smooth-talking womanizer who, surprise surprise, is actually a b*stard (Guy). Ditto humourless, anal types who can't help but routinely humiliate themselves in painfully hilarious ways (Dr Statham). We also have the charming one everyone likes (Mac), the downtrodden loser treated with scorn and affection in equal measure (Martin), the monstrous, predatory bully (Joanna Clore)...and then, of course, there's the put upon one wracked with self-doubt who sometimes struggles to fit in (Caroline Todd - aka our hero). We can recognize traces of others and ourselves in these people. That they're all madcap just maximizes our enjoyment level. Even peripheral characters, like smart-alec Boyce and the borderline-anarchy of the admin girls, are a hoot.
It's the characters that make this show, and Green Wing is crammed with memorable creations. Everyone has their favourite (I'm torn between Guy and the wonderfully diabolical Sue White), but each plays their part in the often surreal whole. 'Green Wing' is a great comedy series that ably balances side-splitting laughs with effective Drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV series i have ever seen., 9 Jan. 2009
Ms. J. K. Lee "Jenni" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
this is seriously the best tv series ever made. i watched it on channel 4 like a mad person, never missing an episode, and weeing myself with laughter all the way through. as soon as it was out on dvd i bought series one, two, and the special.

i've got a few friends who really dont like it, i think you have to have a certain sense of humour to apprechiate the genious of Green Wing.
i absoultely LOVE it!

it's been mentioned in another review that some of the dvd's dont play properly.
ive had the same problem. none of the disks will play properly in the dvd player in my bedroom, and in another dvd player the selection bar thing doesnt show up (you can still watch it, you just cant see what your clicking on) yet they play fine in a different dvd player we have, and in my lapotp. so dont let this put you off!!!

i relly really recommend Grenn Wing to everyone. if you dont enjoy it there will be someone else in your family who will!

3.0 out of 5 stars Low rating due to the DVD fault...not the series itself, 11 Jun. 2009
T. Mcveigh (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Having been keen on the Green Wing when it aired, I ordered series 1 on DVD in November 2008, without reading any customer reviews. Didn't get round to playing it for 6.5 months, only to discover I couldn't play any of the 3 episodes on the first disc. No green bar appeared over the episode number to allow choosing, and just pressing play on the DVD player/remote had no effect either (in contrast to another reviewer's experience). Never seen anything like it! Had some difficulty in getting Amazon to replace it, as the order was so old, but in fairness, the DVD disc is defective. The replacement, sent end May 09, to my annoyance, had EXACTLY the same problem, so this is not a problem relating to just a small batch from Amazon. It's then I saw the customer reviews about this issue. Both disc 1's will play perfectly on my laptop, but that's not the way I like to watch DVDs. I am going to hang on to the DVD as I want to have the series and can't see any way to get hold of a disc that WILL play properly but I'm not too happy about it. I have asked Amazon to put a note on the top page for series 1 to warn people of this problem and I hope they will. So 5 stars for the series itself in my opinion, 3 stars or less for the baffling non-playing of disc 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best ..., 11 Dec. 2006
S. Burrell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
We happened upon Green Wing on a whim -- we bought the DVD of series 1 when we were bored with what was on TV, and had finished watching the whole of Coupling for the third time ... and it has been a delight from start to finish (we've just finished watching Series 2). It's quirky and silly and funny and clever ... just wonderful wonderful stuff. It gets funnier as you re-watch it as well. Plot is irrelevant (though there is a plot, sort of) ... I have inhaled more than one drink while watching it because I started laughing so much. Surreal, yes, funny, definitely, but oh original and SO SO funny. It's hard to explain in words (not least because it doesn't sound so funny when you do) but there are some absolute gems in here. It's really good feel-good comedy. So far we have bought 4 copies of Series 1 (not just to keep on our DVD shelf, but to share ...!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed so hard I wet myself (well, almost...), 24 July 2006
J. Hutchings "jjhutchings" (Framlingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I missed Green Wing on TV the first time, and ended up late one night watching it repeated as I couldn't sleep.

I have not laughed so hard for a long time - the fast-fast-slow editing is now a trademark for the production, and having seen this more times on DVD than is probably advisable, I need Series 2 sharpish.

Any programme that makes a sentence like 'you will never feel my super vagina again' funny deserves a medal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bloody fantastic, 29 Sept. 2008
D. Gallacher "Goat" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Imagine a British version of Scrubs, and you're almost 75% there. Only scrap the sentimentality, scrap the pretty cast, and inject some series surreality. Now I know, Scrubs has surreality, but it is always kept firmly behind the curtain of imagination. In Green Wing, the crazy stuff genuinely happens, and no one makes any concessions to make it plausible. Crude, subtle, and epicly British, this is a must see for all fans of good British comedy. Anyone who can watch Mark Heap truly master his craft and not be crippled laughing is truly one with no soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars True brilliance!, 29 May 2006
C. Nobes (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Wing Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Green Wing is well worth getting on DVD. Its not one of those programmes where once you have seen an episode you don't want to go back to it, each episode is so beautifully crafted that its difficult not to watch them over and over. Its the only TV programme that can make me laugh out loud on a (very) regular basis, its just so hilarious! Can cheer me up just thinking about it! And there's all kinds of humour it in, whilst retaining a strong plot that will make you fall in love with all the characters. Even Guy!

Although i recognise that it doesn't appeal to some people, (though I can't for the life of me see why anyone wouldn't like it!!) if you do like it, the DVD is worth getting! The commentaries are by the cast, and are therefore hilarious, and there are great deleted scenes.

In my opinion, Green Wing has made the world a better place. Buy it.

Caroline's First Day