Colour: Grey|Change

on 12 May 2015
I was a bit nervous about spending a lot of money on a Dualit toaster, especially after some of the negative reviews. I have been absolutely delighted with my purchase. The wide slots cam accommodate thick bread, crumpets, pain au chocolat etc. after fiddling around with the settings I now know exactly which settings to use to get perfectly toasted bread and pastries. The peek facility is very useful too.
on 11 December 2013
Very sturdy and looks great on the counter.

Still figuring out the settings though as sometimes it burns toast even though we haven't moved the dial.
I guess it might depend on the bread type!
on 9 January 2014
Expensive for what it is - a compact two slot toaster - and the "commercial grade elements" look like ordinary elements. I'm sure the marketing department explain they're made of uranium depleted fibres or whatever, but the warranty appears to be just 12 months and I can't find anything corroborating the notion that the unit's elements are covered for longer. Nothing is made clear either in the manual, glossy brochure or anywhere on Dualit's web site.

It's also still a run of the mill (i.e. domestic) pop-up toaster, despite boasting an ability to raise the bread during cooking to see how it's coming along - the so called 'peek' function - meaning that when the time's up it still springs up. For the bread to stay within the toaster you need a proper commercial device or something from the company's Vario range.

Still, I can't help feeling that if you're looking to buy British and genuinely agricultural then something like a Rowlett which while more expensive is actually what most quality seekers are looking for. If Dualit kettles are anything to go by I'm not sure this toaster was such a wise purchase. But we'll see.

** Update May 2014
Have reduced the rating of this item to 1-star as the Rowlett is a significantly better product, pound for pound, and to annoy the Dualit fan poodles who clearly don't like an honest review.

** Update August 2014
Unit has had to be returned as it powers up and then immediately powers off again 5-10 seconds later. Quality.
on 14 October 2014
Does not toast each slice evenly on both sides, one side is perfewct but the other side is either overcooked or hardly browned depending on which setting you use on the browning control
on 19 June 2016
This toaster is from the Architect range. I bought one as it was stylish and reduced and I had heard nothing but good about Dualit products and how reliable and long-lasting they were, and so I handed over £70 and took it home with high expectations. Toast browned unevenly, but I accepted this because of the other useful features. Last week, 21 months after I bought it, it shorted out my ring main. I checked carefully to ensure that there were no crumbs or anything in the toaster which might have caused the problem and it shorted my ring main again. I got in touch with Dualit, who said that as it was out of the 12-month guarantee period,, they would offer me a 34% discount on another toaster, ordered from their web site. I protested and they upped it a final offer of 40% off. As all the toasters on their website were around £100 or more, it would have meant spending at least another £60 for a new toaster. I then took it and my complaint to the (very well respected) retailer from whom I bought my toaster, and they apologetically said they could not help as it was over the 12 month guarantee. However, they told me something VERY interesting: Dualit's reputation is built on their original model, the Vario, each one of which is built by a single worker, who then signs his toaster. These toasters carry an unlimited lifetime guarantee. The Architect range, however, is made in China, and the quality control is much less stringent, hence the 12 month guarantee. Dualit have apparently introduced another newer model, also built in China. The moral--you get what you pay for, even at a price.
on 8 January 2014
Pricey as all Dualit appliances are, you get what you pay for. Well constructed and looks slightly industrial but makes a great job of toast, bagels, buns etc. I also bought the sandwich maker frames and it does delicious toasted sandwiches too..... bonus!
on 26 January 2014
The toaster failed in the 'stuck on' fully energised mode after only 4 months. It is a fire hazard in my view, given that a significant number of toasters are situated under high level kitchen cabinets.
on 1 June 2015
Toast cooks very unevenly. I usually buy a cheaper brand and thought I would spoil myself and am very disappointed don't waste your money
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2014
This is a lovely toaster that looks good in any kitchen. I've not given. It 5 stars for a couple of reasons: firstly, it is expensive. I know that it's a Dualit, however, other toasters retail at a lesser price. Secondly, the toast does brown slightly more on one side. I was happy to pay slightly more for this brand as our last Dualit toaster (the 'Lite' version) lasted for well over 10 years.
on 9 October 2014
Bery nice looking toaster. Performs well and cooks toast evenly. My only complaint is that the pop up spring seem too weak to pup up certain toasts hogh enough, almost always have to lift up the arm to reach my toast.