5.0 out of 5 stars The best show on TV at the moment
Tim Roth is brilliant in this. In fact, he is the one who makes this show really special. Sharp and witty script and the character who is smart and English eccentric through and through (he didn't have to put on an American accent for that). We would all like to be so cool and punchy. Can't wait for season 2 on DVD...
There are some shows that you will watch once and...
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by L. Minns

2.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea but poorly executed.
Having just finished all 8 seasons of House, I was looking for something in the same vein to continue my passions. While House is clever, subtle and charming, this is, well, rigid and forced. The actors are good, nothing special, but I think it's the script lacks anything that would keep you coming back for more. The whole idea seems very fake and cheap: the...
Published 18 months ago by Mr. J. M. Durham

5.0 out of 5 stars The best show on TV at the moment, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
There are some shows that you will watch once and won't bother again, but 'Lie to me' you will enjoy watching all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and fascinating, 13 Mar 2010
shpadoinkle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Because this stars Tim Roth, I was expecting it to be groundbreaking, seminal television. It isn't, but it's still very good. It's basically similar to other procedural, crime-solving type shows - an attractive bunch of collegues tackling the mystery of the week. But it's done very well - the characters are very believable, and flawed, and they have interesting relationships with each other. Tim Roth is very charismatic and watchable, but infact all the cast are excellent.

I think the thing that really makes it stand out is the fascinating insights into emotion and facial expressions/body language, which is based on real science. It's very original, and actually quite educational. Armchair psychologists like me will be glued to the screen.

I also really enjoyed the overall tone of this - it has an involving story every week, but is really more of a drama, with some subtle character-based humour woven into it. It can get tense and serious, but it never gets dark or depressing, and rarely resorts to shock and gore.

It's glossy, high-quality entertainment, and I'm looking forward to Season Two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, 29 Jun 2009
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoy watching The TV programme Lie To Me I like all detective, forensic and crime fighting programmes and have to say Lie To Me offers a more unique, interesting twist and different approach to solving cases. The show is well acted, sometimes unknowingly witty and incredibly engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars oh what a pleasure, 3 Feb 2010
Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] [2009]
i am not sure what i can say that will do it justice .....after watching the tv series i would not wait for season 2 to start so i bought the box set of season 1 and i watched it over and over ...plus i learnt more about the series that makes me want more and more ...... its a great watch and interesting in watching how the series evolved and grew .....if you watched the tv series and want to see it again then this is great ......i am waiting to buy season 2 ....cant wait ...you will love it ....enjoy ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Paul Ekman's work reaches out, 10 Jun 2009
Philip Gallier "NICO" (PRESTWICH, MANCHESTER, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is far the best show on tv at the moment and cant wait for the dvd to be released. The character is based on the real workings of Dr Paul Ekman who has spent 40 years studying micro-expressions and human interaction. The show is fast paced and with true facts about body language- bring on season 2 and if you want to study body language then Joe Navarro book " What every body is saying " is the best you can get

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 15 Nov 2009
C. J. Gornall (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
What an excellent show! I haven't enjoyed a new series as much as this since I watched the first season of Regenesis a few years ago. Tim Roth is mesmeric as human lie detector Cal Lightman and whilst I may not know much about body language, I am pretty sure my face lights up whenever Kelli Williams is on screen. This show combines good acting with exciting stories but for me the best parts are when the points made about certain facial expressions or body postures are illustrated with real clips of famous people such as Nixon, Clinton, Obama, the Queen and Princess Diana. The film in Episode 7 of Yasser Arafat and Ehud Barak grappling with each other over who should enter the room last is astonishing and worth the purchase price on its own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tim Roth Rocks, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Since the success of House, Hollywood has been eager to cast Brits in leading roles. Tim Roth's casting in 'Lie To Me' is brilliant, however. He has the acting chops to back up the brilliant script and sometimes over the top impulses of his character. Although I suspect the premise may not survive beyond Season 3, this show is a good one to watch. It's a solid mix of good writing and acting with a tantalizing dose of science (pseudo or otherwise) added in.

Must watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lie to me, season one, 29 Sep 2009
Mr. Marten J. Allen "Marteno" (Teddington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
It's about Tim Roth who heads up his own company of body language experts for hire who assist police, FBI etc., with cases that have run out of conventional evidence.

Most of the people who hire them at best don't like them and at worst think they are a magic act. But as you would imagine they usually end up winning the day.

I have to say I liked it. I wasn't sure I would. I thought it was a slightly weak premise for an ongoing series and I'm still not sure it will run and run like House or NCIS or CSI.

The main reason it works is that it is a vehicle for Tim Roth who definately lends the series plenty of gravitas. Without him, I'm not sure it would work. I don't think you could replace him like they did with Gideon in 'Criminal Minds'.
But, that said, they haven't yet.

The scripting and plot lines are excellent, if a little samey. But that's a minor critisism. The acting is excellent and the science behind the premise believable and interesting. The only other thing that bugged the bejesus out of me was the other male character 'Locus or Lotus or something'. He drove me mad and I thoroughly hope they ditch him before season two. Either that or give him a frontal lobotomy as part of a storyline. By jimminey he grates on my nerves.

Other than that, really very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's always a pleasure to see top quality actors lending themselves to a TV series, it really allows 'Lie to me' to punch well above it's weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roth is awesome, 1 Dec 2010
Rusty (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Tim Roth is quite simply, as awesome actor.
how he has had to move to USA and get this part in a series when he should be seen by the masses in major blockbusters is beyond me.
Pure acting class - check out some of his earlier work, and sit back and enjoy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 23 Nov 2010
First saw an episode of this series by chance at a friends house and was totally absorbed. Not your usual t.v.fodder.
Where did Tim Roth come from? Brilliant series, great cast, each episode really different, can't put the DVD's down. Lie to Me kicks House into second place. You wont be disappointed.

Pilot