on 23 October 2013
This is the second instalment of Graham's diaries. Both books are very short- the first one is about 125 pages and this one is only 115. I actually got these books when they were free in the amazon.co.uk 100 free bestseller lists. If I had paid for them I might have felt a bit 'short-changed' as some books at the same price can be three or four hundred pages long. These books only have about a hundred. I had initial reservations but they both turned out to be a good read, quite reasonable. The writing flowed and I couldn't put it down to find out what happened next. There are some comedy moments and also some deeper issues in the second book which really get your emotions going but this is all too brief.Yet again in the amazon free bestsellers-I found the two books in a kindle set and I think this works better as two in one go. Especially if you had been paying for the book/s also if you got the first one and didn't know about the second it would just seem to end in the middle of nowhere. So three stars for this as a single edition but for the combined I will re-review that and that deserves four stars. Well worth a read, especially if you want a quicker, easier read inbetween other longer books which are more heavy-going.
on 14 September 2013
This is a review of The Diary Of A Hapless Father: months 0-3 by Pete Sortwell

This is an excellent book, and is the follow up to The Diary Of An Expectant Father also by Pete Sortwell.

Like it's predecessor, this is a well-crafted story, bringing to life the characters, telling the story through the eyes of our hero Graham, as he begins coming to terms with the birth of his son, Charlie.

I found this book to be ever so slightly less funny that the previous one, but it does deal, often in excruciating detail, with the trials and tribulations of having a new-born child to look after. It is, by turns, full of joy, tiredness, happiness, tiredness, pathos, and tiredness The story accurately depicts the life-changing effects that fatherhood bring.

The book ends on a cliffhanger, so hopefully there witll be a third in the series in the not too distant future.

5 stars (again).
on 17 January 2016
Firstly thanks to Pete Sortwell for this free book at Amazon. It is very much appreciated. This is a short story that can easily be read in one sitting and what it lacks in length it makes up for with humour.
Graham, after a very brief relationship with Alison, had found out she was pregnant and decided to give it a go living together. This is his diary from the moment Alison goes into labour up until their son is 3 month old.
Pete Sortwell has a wonderful way of taking the common everyday events of ordinary people's lives and simplifying them until you are left with the raw first thoughts, normally selfishness. Graham felt quite sorry for himself during labour, although he didn't think it was as painful as he thought it would be and after it all he was ready for a shower.
The book takes you through all the new baby senerios. Lack of sleep, colic etc and changes in how Graham thinks. This is book 2 in a series of 4.
Nice one Pete Sortwell.
on 10 January 2014
This was funny, it was poignant. It made me laugh, it made me cry. Everything I want from a good rom com and, even though he was a bit of a loser, I found myself falling for Graham, the protagonist. I wanted great things to happen for him. It's an unusual love story, in that love seems to seep into him through the pregnancy and it takes him a while to realise what he's feeling. I enjoyed being on that journey with him. Can't wait to read the next one.
on 31 October 2013
very funny read, nothing too complicated so good for a holiday read. not long enough but didnt love it enough to buy the next book.
on 8 September 2013
Portrayal of one mans struggle with the early months of becoming a father. Filled with the trials and fears of having a new life to care for. Some humorous moments but also has a serious message. I've read the first book and enjoyed that and was not disappointed with this sequel looking forward to the next one.
on 7 September 2013
I've read both of these books now and they're both good reads. It really puts you into the mind of a first time dad. There's a lot of stuff in there that struck me as true and being someone who plans to have children, I was glad to get the final message of this book, which to me is 'It's going to be OK'
on 5 April 2014
I don't usually go for these books, in usually more 'serious' with my book choices but is felt like I needed something light hearted and I clicked download of this title. I'm glad I did as I enjoyed it. I'm guessing there's another to look forward to too!
on 25 September 2013
This book hits the nail on the head when it comes to those early days of parenthood. Brought back all my memories of colic and sleepless nights. Enjoyed the humour running through it only wish I'd read his other book about being an expectant father first.
on 30 December 2013
Brilliant, found this very funny as a first time mum myself. Read this back to back after the first in the series over two days. I felt for Alison and Graham when things went wrong, and cheered when they went right.