5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fantastic
The story follows Dr Maxwell as she is offered the job of a lifetime at St Mary's the institute of historical research, but their research is a lot more hands on then most: Time-travel, romance, science, betrayal, friendship and fighting for survival included.

Published 13 months ago by Strawberry

3.0 out of 5 stars Time (travel) will tell
Pros - great idea, likeable characters, lots of action, fantastic locations, excellent value

Cons - very event driven narrative, some big jumps in time that feel out of sync with the character development

Published 12 months ago by Jakeisthecoolest

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fantastic, 21 July 2013

I totally and utterly loved this book. I couldn't put it down, I fell into the action packed and adventure ridden world that Jodi Taylor has envisioned.
The fast pace and the twists of the story really keep you intrigued and the sheer detail in Dr Maxwells induction into St Mary's and how the institute works was incredibly thought out and really interesting - and that's before any of the real adventures even occur!
I love how well developed the characters are, how you truly root for the heroes and are appalled at the villains.

This story is so very British, full of humour and sarcasm and many many cups of tea.
It was an absolute delight to read and I cannot wait till the next one comes out!

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is brilliant one of the best 3 books I've read this year, 27 July 2013
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was deeply suspicious of all the 5* reviews especially for a first book - but it was free so ..... really what did I have to lose except 20 minutes checking it out.

I now feel guilty that I allowed my poor experiences with other 'well-reviewed' books (You know the ones where they're all from the author's friends and family) to prejudice me quite so much - because I could easily have missed this one and it is flipping brilliant. Just awesome. And I don't know the author or anything about her (or care) as long as she carries on writing.

Max, our tea-drinking heroine has a Doctorate in history when her ex-headmistress contacts her about a position at a sister establishment to her old university. Pretty much from the interview with Dr Bairstow, the head of the facility when Max thinks that "Thinking carefully is something that happened to other people" before signing her life away, I was hooked. I stayed hooked throughout the whole book which is quite unusual for me. but it's very well plotted, structured and nicely fast-paced.

It's not often that I can write that a heroine was intelligent and witty but Max genuinely is. I think she would have got on well with Dorothy Parker!
She also has a wonderful line in snark and had me actually laughing out loud so many times that my partner asked, "What on earth are you reading?"

I don't want to post plot spoilers and it is quite a complex book but I REALLY do recommend it to anyone who feels that it's been too long since they actually read 'something different'. The something different is in a very good way I'm just not quite sure how to categorise it.

Oh and finally -- As for the scene with Izzy Barker - genius - just pure genius - I read it 3 times and was still laughing at the end of the third read through.
I really want to read more from the author and am quite cross that isn't anything ... yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just One Dammed Thing After Another, 26 July 2013
Loved this funny witty written story. Kept you reading from start to finish. Some very strong and lovable characters ( and some not so nice ) made this a readable tale of make believe time travel with lots of hidden adventures and troubles along the way. With plenty of tea drinking along the way . If all fails put the kettle on. A book after my own heart totally agree "a cup tea is the answer to every thing" Enjoyed the slow growing relationships that developed through the book with lots of twists and turns as the love / hate jealousy/ admiration grew.
Look forwarded to reading the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable., 25 July 2013
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I'm a very rare visitor to the realms of sci-fi/fantasy novels. Excellent characters with believable personalities, a female protagonist, dinosaurs - which are strangely terrifying considering that they're written word dinosaurs, death, destruction, and tea!

I'm very much looking forward to the next in the series; this author is already a firm favourite with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time (travel) will tell, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The premise for this novel is really interesting and original. A mix of sci-fi, romance, action with a healthy dollop of humour and a little modern day Indiana Jones thrown in too. In addition, it is generally well written and easily comparable to more experienced writers. The main character of Madeline Maxwell is very likeable, although not entirely consistent in her behaviour, but still a really good protagonist. Overall, the novel as a whole is a lot of fun with great action and excitement. Unfortunately for me this is where the problems occur. There is an awful lot going on in this book and the narrative flys along absolutely crammed with significant events that drive the story forward. I can't help feeling that Talyor could have taken her foot of the gas a bit and with a little more description to set the scenes this could have been stretched into two, maybe even three, books.
I will look forward to seeing how this series develops and I hope that Taylor feels less compelled to cram so much in, the characters are good so give them time to breath.
Three stars might seem a bit harsh as I did enjoy this a lot, but I feel it is just not as good as it could be or as good as I'm sure the next book will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I have read on my kindle, 15 July 2013
Considering Jodi is a new author, I am most impressed. The book keeps me occupied for hours at a time. It is well written and the right pace. The subject is interesting and has made me delve into history more than ithought I would.

I'm buying the next one when it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Jodi, 17 July 2013
I. Craig - See all my reviews
Rushed of my feet from the start! There are no quiet moments in this book. Got a little lost in plot deviousness - but, as I get older, I'm kind of used to that. I'd just finished reading a bunch of Ben Bova's, and this little gem was the right tonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just One Dam Thing After Another, 30 Jun 2013
A very enjoyable read. Humorous and exciting it romps along at a great pace.
with cups of tea to sustain the team on their way. Where will the St Mary's team jump to next? Can't wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome!! Its shouldn't be free, 13 Aug 2013
This book should not be free!! Jodi, pls start charging!!! Its absolutely brilliant, in a separate class of its own. I would gladly donate/buy it again when you start charging
Well done!!!! I hope to read more from you

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to be a historian!, 26 July 2013
History, time travel, bad guys, mayhem and lots and lots of tea!
This was a brilliant, enjoyable read, about a historical research society who have some very powerful technology - time travel, to be exact - which helps them to ensure accuracy when recording events.
However, someone wants to destroy what St Mary's stands for - someone who has access to the same technology as the historians, and who is willing to do whatever it takes to stop them - even murder.
There were lots of things which made this book enjoyable for me - such as the researchers having no eyebrows, the Chief's ongoing battle to have them leave the batteries in the fire alarms, the regular blasts that rocked the building, the battles in the bar, and the fact that Madeleine 'Max' Maxwell seems to be a complete disaster magnet all added to the charm of the story.
Yes, there are probably anomalies relating to the time travel element, but they didn't spoil the story for me. Yes, she probably brushed over some points in order to keep the story moving. But I didn't care. This was a wonderfully crazily insane story, and I loved it. And even though I am not a Beatles fan, I loved the fact that, once Max got her head back together, stole a pod and went on her rescue mission back to the Cretaceous period, she blasted 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' out of the pod speakers to let them know she was there to rescue them. And her termination with extreme prejudice of Izzie Barclay was wonderful!
Another thing that I really liked about this book was the fact that, although there was some childhood trauma in her past, it was hardly touched on, instead concentrating on the Chief, possibly because it doesn't have any relevance to the story...at least not yet.
I can't wait for the next Chronicle of St Mary's - I want to know what happens next, before they change history again!