Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 31 December 2013
The story that runs through issues #14-16 of the New 52 Aquaman and issues #15-17 of the Justice League is collected, along with Aquaman issue #0, as Aquaman Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis HC (The New 52). This `new' Aquaman series is my favourite of the New 52, the scripting is superb, and the artwork is spectacular - it is like watching a blockbuster film, but with an even higher definition picture and far superior story - thin of the recent Man of Steel film, but with water and better characterisation. The author skilfully reveals more and more about Aquaman and Mera's past while actually hiding more and more of it. We now have a clearer picture of Aquaman's life (and origin) from before he became king of Atlantis, also his life after he gave up the throne, as well as an explanation as to why he's been having trouble with Atlanteans whenever he's run into them since. The period when he was king is still unrevealed, as is Mera's story.

Issue #0 tells of Aquaman's search for his people following his father's death, along with some flashbacks to his childhood, and his eventual meeting with Vulko, who led him home to claim his throne.

The main story involves a plot to start a war between Atlantis and the United States of America, when someone causes American missiles to be fired at Atlantis. Aquaman's brother, the current king, leads an attack on the US eastern seaboard, and comes face to face with Aquaman and then the Justice League. The creatures from the Trench are also called in to play, but as the story progresses, we become less sure who is responsible for what action and just who is controlling what. During the course of the story we also get more information on Aquaman's past and his relationship with his brother, which was surprisingly amicable until the invasion.

I have to say that I think that the Ocean Master was harshly treated at the end, and that the US had no legal right to treat him as a criminal, considering that they fired first. However, that appears to be how the US sees the world nowadays - "Vae Victis".

See also - Justice League Volume 3: Throne of Atlantis HC (The New 52)
on 27 September 2014
After collecting the first two JL graphic novels I had read that the third book continued a story which had been build up in Aquaman series. I therefore bought the first two collections of Aquaman which were fantastic! I then read JL Throne of Atlantis and found it a bit disjointed. I decided to pick up Aquaman Throne of Atlantis even with the understanding that 3 of the 6 issues published inside I already had. However Aquamans TOA was like watching an excellent directors cut. Instead of being disjointed it was like one big story ark.
The Aquaman series has really been terrific (I was never a fan before) and this was a great climax.
I would highly recommend this over JL TOA.
on 9 March 2014
Volume 3 collects issues #0, #14-16, along with three issues of Justice League. What that means for me and any other collector/reader of both series is that the only new material in the book is the first two issues #0 and #14; the rest of it is repeat material from The Justice League Vol. 3. Fortunately for me, I am buying the JL volumes and using the library for AQM, otherwise I would have been pretty annoyed at spending money on this heavy duplication published merely weeks apart from each other. Publisher's greed aside, I can't fault the actual book with any of this, so have only lowered my rating to a 4 because of the need for a person to be informed of this and to possibly make the decision which of the two volumes to buy .

#0 & #14 were great additions to the story for me as it explained the whole why of what happens in Justice League Vol. 3. First we go back into Arthur's past at the time when his father dies and we learn his reluctance to ever enter the water until his father gives him his dying wish. In my JL3 review I mentioned "some guy" who pops up and here we get his and Arthur's background with each other, so when he does pop up later we know who he actually is. We also learn the past history of Orm, how he became Aurthur's little brother, what happened to their mother, the feelings between the two brothers and it all sets the stage for the final issues which I talk about in my review of Justice League Vol 3: Throne of Atlantis. I really truly love Aquaman and at this point may just start buying trades. DC could have done better to publish one book instead called something like "Justice League & Aquaman Present Vol. 3: Throne of Atlantis" which would have filled the Vol. 3 spot for both AQM and JL.
on 28 October 2015
Great stuff here... Showed conflict of interests in the league and how different members have different approaches and abilities... Really flushing what the team is about. They are not just a bunch of well knit soldiers who have trained together. They are people from different back grounds or planets with different ideologies and its great to see them have a bash at each other time to time over real issues and not "Oh I was brainwashed to attack you sorry bro" it was real issues that needed to be settled. Also a satisfying ending.
on 3 July 2015
It was a fine ark, but much of the content is covered in Justice League Vol 3. I wish DC would have just combined the two into one larger novel. I ended up buying both.
on 28 June 2014
This is a very good story. I downloaded it along with Justice League volume 3 only to find they were exactly the same.
on 12 May 2015
It's very good however almost everything written in this book is the same as Justice League Vol 3 Throne of Atlantis.
on 13 January 2014
Excellent read ' just can not seem to put the novel down until read from start to finish !
if you like Aquaman get all volumes of the new 52 ' top read
on 4 May 2015
This is a great book. Art looks amazing and story is epic and great.
on 12 May 2015
good stories with a better developed character