5.0 out of 5 stars Very good
I enjoy George Gently on television but I enjoy Alan Hunters books better. His plots are very good and always keep one interested.A fully deserved five stars and I recommend the book to Kindle readers.
Published 12 months ago by gary c atkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book in the series.
Takes a wile to get going. I am a great fan of Gently. So this book was a bit of a disappointment.
Published 10 months ago by J. Tubby

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 1 Dec 2013
gary c atkins (leicester.england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gently Where She Lay (Inspector George Gently Series Book 19) (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better ones., 26 Jan 2014
This was quite an interesting story, which kept you wondering who did it, there were a few twists and turns that made this one of the better ones, including the final twist which made the book worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars George Gently, 4 Jan 2014
This George is not like the one on the TV; he is much more pensive and intelligent, revealing thoughts and actions not revealed on the screen. In fact, it was not the voice on TV that I was listening to as he spoke (it is written in the first person). A revelation!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book in the series., 2 Jan 2014
J. Tubby (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars gently in first person., 13 Oct 2014
Stan (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Shock! I've read a number of the Gently series, pretty randomly, and suddenly find this one is written in first person. No longer does Gently investigate, now I investigate! Did the author decide to change his approach or is this one of just a few? With 60 odd books in the series, may take a while to find out! Anyway, does it make a difference? I must say it really doesn't much. You don't get any further into Gently's head, which you would expect in first person, or get any further insights into memories or personal views. So based on just this book, its hard to see why the change was made.
Good story though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date, 19 Jun 2014
Not often I say that a TV programme is better than the book it was taken from, but in this case, I'm afraid the TV series of this series of books is much more enjoyable. I found the book hard-going and the character of George Gently seemed somewhat aggressive and confrontational, not a likeable man at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of many, 22 May 2014
This is a long series of books which it would help to read chronologically. Nonetheless each story is self-contined and whilst I find these Gently books a touch repetitive and quite old fashioned in their use of language they are good light reading when I have a few minutes spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tragic crime, 17 Mar 2014
A tragic crime told in a gentle manner.
If you enjoy reading Alan Hunter you will enjoy this book. It displays depth of knowledge by the author without infringing on the narrative.

Not an obvious culprit at first. But towards the end you think could it have been anyone else?

I thoroughly enjoyed it

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 8 Mar 2014
I found this very slow and not exactly a page turner. Although I enjoy the TV show I don't think I will purchase any more of these books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated, 1 Mar 2014
Of course I bought this after seeing the TV series. Having become accustomed to the fast pace of contemporary crime fiction I found the lengthy descriptions got in the way of the development of the plot