5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully different end of the world tale.
Was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this film. Steve Carell and Keira Knightley seem a very unlikely pairing but it works. Carell's portrait of Dodge's shift from melancholia to the purest joy is understated and believable. Knightley is clearly comfortable in her role as Penny and she sparkles all the way through the film.

Other films which have...
Published 6 months ago by Nicky

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down ~ don't waste your time!!
Love Steve Carrell normally but really didn't enjoy this at all.

Lacking any real storyline and Carrell not as witty as usual ~ it was supposed to be a "hilarious and romantic comedy".

Kiera Knightley portraying a weed smoking lay about with her snooty voice was very unrealistic to me and her acting of her role was dire. As a couple/lovers in...
Published 16 days ago by bluebellmadoona

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully different end of the world tale., 28 July 2014

Other films which have dealt with this particular type of apocalyptic event always seem to focus on the scientists and the military actions, or on the individual who made the discovery. I like how this film id so different, it's not the Hollywood "let's save the planet from annihilation" pony... we don't see actors bouncing around pretending to be on asteroids or space ships. Those characters have already been killed off in the first scene. This film is all about the people on the ground, the people who are watching, the people who are waiting.

But then I'm the kind of person who got to the end of watching "Independence Day" and thought "Now who's going to clean all those crashed space ships up..?"

5.0 out of 5 stars SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD, 27 Mar. 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect when I began watching this film recently. Steve Carrel from the American Office and Date Night etc starring so I figured a comedic element of sorts and the very versatile and so demure Miss Knightley together with a splash of the ever excellent Martin Sheen and William Petersen albeit very briefly combine to make one of the best and hugely enjoyable bitter-sweet, black-comedy, tear-jerkers of all time. I honestly haven't had that "lump in my throat" sensation since Ghost (1990) and as other commenters have posted that this film cleverly steers away for the most part from the science and technical aspect of an end-of-the-world, asteroid-on-a-collision-path-with-earth scenario we feel we are amongst real people who we could all know and like who are themselves absolutely helpless in their potential doom and facing an impossible situation with no escape and the decisions good or bad for their final days on earth which they make we can only draw smiles and tears from. The fantastic soundtrack in this film really completes the package. If you don't watch another film in 2013 please see this one! 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars "IS IT A BAD TIME?", 23 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Steve Carell revives his dead pan character and teams up with Keira Knightley who creates a character with emotional baggage. They are Dodge and Penny who live in the same apartment complex but who have never met...until they both experience break ups. A meteor named Matilda is headed toward earth, one that even Bruce Willis can not destroy. It will be the end of the world. As the countdown continues, people react differently. There are suicides and hedonism...kids drinking, people doing drugs, and riots. There are those that still live simply.

Much of the film is consumed by Dodge and Penny traveling to Delaware so he can visit his high school sweetheart one last time. The film is basically a romantic comedy with some hit and miss moments. More enkoyable than many of the other end of the world films that have come out over the last few years.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, implied sex, no nudity. Drug use. Underage drinking encouraged by adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I need is the air that I breathe...., 29 Jan. 2014
An asteroid named "Matilda" is on a collision course towards Earth and in three weeks the world will come to an absolute end.

One man decides to spend his time searching for his long lost love from high school during the coming catastrophe...

The first thing one would imagine with an end of the world movie with Steve Carrell starring would be 'hilarious'.

Think again. Many say that this was a huge flop, look at the budget.

It's a kooky movie, just like Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist, and the reason the film works is the subject matter and the realism of the two main characters.

Sure they both have traits, but be honest, would you really act 'normal' if the apocalypse was around the corner? The film is split into several chapters, starting off melancholic, then to panic, realisation, kooky and then back to realisation.

The groups or people we bump into depict the chapters. When we meet Cordroys group, this is the panic moment of the movie, and when we reach the diner, it's kooky.

It never really tears away from the kookiness throughout the film, and this benefits the grim subject matter.

Knightley and Carrell are great as the two leads, and the supporting cast are just as good.

The film really come into its own though when we meet Sheen and he acts everyone off the screen. The ten minutes he is in the film is the best part and it really hits the nail on the head of the whole films message.

Lifes too short.

A lovely movie, with a very sobering, but happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem and reveals a lot about human nature, 16 Oct. 2012
Mr. T. Solley - See all my reviews
I originally thought that this was a comedy. There are one or two scenes which contain black comedy, but it's more about human feelings and the way we deal with other people in times of crisis.

The plot is that life as we known it is coming to an end. There is no escape, we are all going to die. How would you deal with it?

I won't spoil what is a brillant peice of cinema and by the end you truly relate to the characters as doom approaches.

Wonderful film. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'SMILE' ''THE END IS NIGH'', 28 Feb. 2013
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
a 70 mile wide astroid is hurtling toward earth,attempts to alter it's
course has failed......just a few short weeks remain.
'dodge' and 'penny' who had only known each other a short time escape a
riot.
the two set out on a road trip to fulfil a need to be with someone important
to them as time runs out.
the mission for 'dodge' to meet up again with the love he'd lost when still
a young man.
'penny's' quest, to reunite with her parents and share her last moments with
them.
maybe the unlikely couple have allready found all they really need.
there are many moments that will allmost certainly bring a smile to your face.
there are also some poignant as time runs out.
(it's fair to say we survived many prophets of doom that read disaster into
the end of the 'mayan' calender,thankfully the day has past, and most of us
are still here )
an apocalyptic movie worthy of viewing

4.0 out of 5 stars DOOMSDAY CHANGES LIFES PRIORITIES, 7 Jan. 2013
ALAN BOWMAN "KREATIV KILDE" (NORWAY) - See all my reviews
Theres this asteroid which is going to flatten the earth in 3 weeks . What do you do ? Find God , find a local orgy where everyone has shifted focus from "Here to eternity " to "here to maternity " , find a TV shop to rob or find Olivia ? Dodge has been struck by his own personal asteroid ..his wife heard about the coming Doomsday and ran off . While everyone else is running off after something Dodge is left stunned in an emotional shock which stuns him . He was happy with his wife .She split the scene . His life is business as usual . He does have his job,shellshock and a harmonica his father gave him . But he meets Penny , a neighbour , who gives him letters that belong to him mis-directed by the mailman over a 3 year period . Some are from Olivia , the love of his life before he married . Now he has her address and proof that she still loves him . He sets off on another collision course ...Olivia ! And Penny will help him find her if he can help her get home to her parents . So begins the journey . Before this point in the film it felt like this was going to be a boring disaster comedy .As they journey they have encounters and meetings and begin to ooze out from an enviroment of uncertainty into a stable friendship where Penny is charming and warm and Dodge beginning to be soothed out of his emotional inertia . There are subtle ways that the film stops being a comedy but has a replacing romance flavour .Keira Knightley plays at this point one who opens up and pours out delightful expressions and stories to Dodge . His response is not mutual , hes receiving only and giving nothing away
Thi news relationship will end when he meets Olivia and when he helps her fly in a little plane to her parents . Or will it ? At any rate whatever twists in the story lie ahead for them ...mmmm.....errr... about the asteroid ? Is it happy ever after..can a film director twist the asteroid away . Maybe aliens will save them or God or maybe it was just a dream Dodge was having ....So buy it and find out . certainly a film I really enjoyed and recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional yet... heart warming., 23 Jun. 2013
Before I watched this movie, I never saw Steve Carrel in a serious role. Dan in real life was the closest thing I'd seen to a serious movie from him. Alas this movie made me feel in so many different ways; I.E. from the heart-lifting dark comedy, to the most emotional of endings. I have not cried at a film in so long, (Turner & Hooch). I really have nothing bad to say about this movie, It made me laugh when I was supposed to laugh, feel what I was supposed to feel and cry when I was supposed to cry. Not to mention the amazing acting in this film..... WOW, I will never see Steve Carrel in the same way, and I wasn't a huge Keira Knightly fan, but this movie turned me around completely on her, she was incredible. My final thought -

Everyone and anyone needs to at least watch this once! Thank you - Joseph Paton.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Film, 19 July 2012
This film is a comedy/drama about the road trip taken by an insurance agent and his much younger neighbour to reunite him with his first love before the world ends (the Armageddon/Deep Impact heroics haven't succeeded and that asteroid is going to hit us). He takes the dog that had recently been dumped on him, and she takes her favourite l.p's and off they go, getting into scrapes and adventures on the way. The l.p's are a very important part of the story as they provide the soundtrack to their journey, to be honest they made the film. The scene where Herb Alpert's This Guys In Love With You plays in the background brought as lump to my throat.
It has some great funny moments as well, the dinner party scene especially is hilarious.
I must admit I've never been a huge fan of either Steve Carrell or Keira Knightley but both are excellent in this enchanting story.
When we first saw the trailer we thought this would be worth a watch, it was a great feeling to come out of the cinema totally surprised by how much we loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and didn't really expect it to be all that good. However after the first five minutes I started ..., 26 Nov. 2014
I came across this film looking for something to kill an hour or two and didn't really expect it to be all that good. However after the first five minutes I started liking it and by the end I loved it. We meet the main character after the heroes Hollywood usually portrays in these apocalyptic films are dead having failed tin their mission and instead deals with the people left over on Earth who are usually forgotten.

It is often rare that you engage so completely with a fictional character, especially one in an end of the world scenario but with this film I have to say I was pleasantly surprises. This film built these two characters (Dodge and Penny) so completely that by the end you see them as very real and end up seeing parts of you in them as well. You can't help feeling for them and their story.

If you are worried that this film is going to be a tear-jerker fear not this movie delivers a wonderful glimpse into a person's (and I mean a person not a fake character but a believable person whom you will love) life which has just enough dark humor sprinkled in to make this story believable and a pleasure to watch. I won't ruin the story for you but it is highly likely that the end will make you weep but your tears will most likely be tears of joy rather than sadness.The film will end but you like the characters will feel a sense of fulfillment and joy, I would completely recommend it.