on 13 September 2013
I hadn't realised that this was a short - very short - story.
The plot is very original and very gripping. It is such a disappointment when it pulls up short all of a sudden - and that is really what it does because that is what the story does. It has no end or conclusion and simply leaves you very curious and frustrated.
Very clever stuff of course, because if the author decided to continue the story, I would definitely be prepared to shell out more money to read the rest of it. However, ending the book in the way that he has, the author has really taken the easy way out.

Does he know the end of the story and this is really a marketing strategy? Or is this really the end?
0Comment56 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2013
Excellent Kindle fodder. A well written story which leaves the reader with something to think about. However If you like everything in life to be explainable read your washing machine instruction manual instead.
on 24 September 2013
Plot, character, story lead you to a conclusion that stays with you. Lovely sense of Venice and nice sense of uncertainty. There's a gift of - probably divine - comfort to one of the characters - a gift he didn't really know he needed. I'm trying not to give anything away. Very certain tread in the prose as the author takes you through the events. Well worth reading. It had me thinking Graham Greene.
on 11 October 2013
An excellent short story about connections and a persons unseen effect on the world. A surprising and thought provoking book
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 3 September 2013
A Parisian film director is overcome with loneliness after the recent death of his father. He has a small apartment in Venice. Sitting in a café overlooking St Marks and the surrounding square, he is acutely aware of the pain of his grief that is accompanied by an overwhelming, powerful feeling that the death of an unknown person (his father) has affected the people and the world surrounding him in an indefinable way. Is this madness or grief projection released to be shared by others? He sees a blind beggar, about the same age as his late father, with a polystyrene cup. He in the same spot everyday. He puts the odd coin in. Days go by and the beggar has a sixth sense he is being watched and followed by the film director who becomes obsessed with knowing more of this remarkable blind man. He does, of course, but as events progress they take inexplicable twists and a spooky ending that question life and beliefs.

An enjoyable well-written short story, (don't be put off by the 'Look Inside' content), that may well leave the reader much to contemplate. (It did with me). Even after a second read I am not entirely clear of the significance of the 'Blind Policeman'. We are all individuals but are we to believe in manifestations, (religious or otherwise), or question the games our minds can play? I'm sure Stephen Glover knows the answers.
0Comment23 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2013
This was a good beginning of what I thought was going to be an interesting thriller. In fact, it disappeared into its final paragraph, and revealed itself as a very short story. Disappointing in its brevity.
on 6 October 2013
Having never read a Kindle Single before I thought I would give this 'single' a try and have to say I was not disappointed, the only disappointed I had (after it took me merely an hour to read from start to finish)was I wanted to know more about this mysterious 'blind beggar' who stood in the street of Venice with his Polystyrene Cup .......... I hadn't read anything on my Kindle or otherwise for quite a while but this 'single' was just about the right length to get me motivated to want to read more, so have a date with the sofa and my Kindle this afternoon :))))) I would definitely recommend 'The Blind Policeman' for a short read and I shall be looking out for more by Stephen Glover in the future. Another good thing about a Kindle Single is it's a great way to introduce yourself to a new author ............. it certainly worked for me
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2013
Seemingly an odd title and having you wonder how such a person could detect crime.
However, this tale is told through another character and how he discovers the fate of the policeman.
Reminiscent of Daphne du Maurier's spooky tale set also in Venice.
on 24 September 2013
The basic idea for the story is fine but what I did not realise it is a short story. I therefore paid £1.99 for a story that took less than an hour to read!!
on 16 September 2013
evocative....especially if you know venice, not sure what is real and what is imagined...give it a go and see for yourself