5.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector.
Published 3 months ago by Robert Groom

3.0 out of 5 stars Exciting at first but not without its faults
I've been using this projector for a few weeks now, and whilst I certainly like owning it, I also have a few grievances with it.

Top of the list is a noisy fan. The projector comes with four picture presets (two in 3D mode), two of which are bright and two of which are dimmer. During daylight hours you'll want to use the brighter settings to compensate for the...
Published 1 month ago by Willia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Projector., 11 Oct. 2014
Robert Groom (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson EH-TW5200 Full HD 1080p 3LCD 3D Home Cinema and Gaming Projector (Electronics)
Wow, seeing huge movie on my white wall is fantastic. Just had it 2 days & so far a bit noisy on best picture mode but I now use it on cinema mode which is a lot quieter. Was hoping it would play my movies from my Samsung 2TB hard drive but it won't, probably didn't check it out properly before I bought it. Still love the huge picture & if you are thinking about upgrading to a bigger TV check this out first you'll be impressed. Played movies through b/ray & different stuff through a tablet like youtube & pictures & great for games as well. Gets very hot so will probably be good in winter as an extra heater........All in all very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson EH-TW5200 Full HD 1080p 3LCD 3D Home cinema & gaming projector, 20 Dec. 2014
Over the last few months I've checked the reviews and spec's on all makes of projector, Epson came out best in my opinion, and the price of the above model was the best I'd found for the spec I wanted, 2000 lumens, 3 LCD, good comprehensive setting up menus if you feel you really need them. I didn't necessarily want a projector for gaming, more for videos and movies really. Stereo sound output to external amplifier, and a good keystone arrangement for aligning the picture correctly. Out of interest to other potential customers I found an 84 inch (Diagonal) 6 foot wide screen (from ABIS) works extremely well with a 7 foot 5 inch throw, my projector is actually sitting angled and in line with the left side of the screen, at a 7' 5" throw, (and almost 3 feet from the centre line of the screen) and gives a perfect picture with the adjustment of the horizontal keystone adjuster. This was something I was troubled by when making the initial decision to buy because I couldn't have a projector sitting in the middle of the sitting room, or from the ceiling. Overall a good quality projector and good value for money, I've even seen sellers on Ebay asking a hell of a lot more than the Amazon selling price. The delivery was excellent too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 17 Mar. 2014
Does all the job as described, 3D feature is so real and the quality and definition of the picture is brilliant, plus its a rather small sized and portable. Nothing to complain here. A bit noisy, Bose quitecomfort 15 noise cancelling headphones take care of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Recommended, 31 Dec. 2014
Much better than the DLPs I've used and no rainbow effect.
The Fan is a little noisy untill you switch to ECO or Cinema mode ..
As for image quality .. . . The best I've ever seen on a 1080p projector.
There's a reason Epson are the best selling projector company in the
World . .. They make the best projectors ! Well done Epson.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice projector, works well in a small room, 17 April 2014
I bought this projector for my Xbox One. The picture is very clear. If you want a projector for gaming, this is the one for you.

Before I bought this projector I wanted to know about the distance between projector and screen, so, in-case you're wanting to know the same, I have my projector around 2.5m away from the screen. I purchased a 60" screen, but even at the most zoomed in setting possible it was still far too big for the screen. I get around 80"-150" from 2.5m.

The keystone feature is incredible. It means you can always have your screen lined up perfectly at all times.

It does have one or two negatives.
The projector itself is a little loud and the built in audio is terrible, but I suppose if you have the money to buy a product like this, chances are you are going to have some sort of surround sound system.
The fan heats very quickly, which is why I wouldn't recommend sitting directly in-front of the projector. I put my hand over the fan after the projector had been on for an hour just to see how hot it was and I burnt my hand.

Overall this is a very good projector, and after purchasing a cheap projector before, only to be left feeling disappointed by the poor picture quality I now understand why some people decide to pay extra for a good quality one. I would rate it 5 stars if it wasn't so loud and so hot. If you have a big room, or you are going to be sat a distance away from the projector you would probably rate it 5 stars.

I know this is a big investment, so If you have a question about the projector feel free to reply to this and I will try my best to answer your question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 17 Nov. 2014
We wanted to convert our 3 x 3m basement into a cinema room and I was contemplating either getting a LCD (Epson TW 5200) or DLP (Benq). This would be a purchase for watching, what would primarily be, 3D blu ray content from a PS3 (via HDMI) and hooked-up to a 5.1 sound system (via audio optical cable).

I knuckled down, took a leap of faith on the Epson projector, and purchased it at the end of October. I quickly set it up (out of the box) without any tweaking. The wall I used was painted light grey/white-ish and I used the, considerably cheaper, Samsung (Active Shutter 3D) glasses that currently trade for £22 per pair on Amazon.

The content I watched included: Avatar 3D, Titanic 3D and How To Train Your Dragon 3D.

Of note; I don’t like viewing films at passive 3D cinemas, as the image is generally very dark and I am yet to experience a good passive 3D cinematic experience where brightness is not an issue. This lack of brightness also affects refresh rates and produces a flicker affect that is an inherently noticeable flaw with most passive 3D cinemas.

This projector, however, uses active 3D whereby the projector and the glasses work jointly to produce a better 3D depth of field without eye strain. After viewing some key scenes from Titanic, in 3D, all I could say was: Wow!

Firstly; this projector produces a very bright 3D image that does not disappoint. Secondly; the motion is not juddered by a slow refresh rate (as often found with other 3D displays). The motion is smooth, bright and rather sharp too depending on your preference of sharpness levels which, by the way, can easy be adjusted in the projector settings menu.

Watching 2D content is a treat as well, giving bright, vibrant colours and crystal clear rendering of HD content. The muted blacks do become more apparent when watching 2D content, although I was able to compensate this by getting a better image when tweaking down the brightness during 2D viewing.

The fan is noisy, but it is not a problem if you have a proper sound system complimenting the visual experience. When brought into context; the fan is nowhere near as noisy as I expected it to be. It certainly doesn’t sound nearly as loud as the hair dryer my wife uses. Her laptop fan runs louder than the projector’s. In addition; when in eco or cinema modes, the fan runs considerably quieter but I am overall very pleased with the fan noise on any setting.

Overall; the image size of the projected image was about 200inches on a wall roughly 4m away (I have not tried it in the 3m basement wall yet). The image is amazing and I would seriously recommend this projector for anyone who is serious about watching 3D blu ray at home, without breaking the bank.

Overall score: 5 out of 5 because the flaws are well worth the cheap price and awesome picture quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture, 11 Jun. 2014
I have now had the Epson EH-TW5200 for about a month. The picture is great coming both from the Sky box as well as bluray player with really sharp images and no noticable problems with colours or fast paced action sequences . Its easy to set up and obviously sound is much improved playing through a dedicated surround receiver. I have not used the 3D as have no glasses so cannot comment on the peformance watching these.
I have only one main complaint the noise from the fan. This can be heard even in the eco mode unless the volume is turned up quite high. I can find this distracting everytime what i am watching goes into a quiet part, now luckily I watch mostly action stuff but its still a bit annoying. When It was first used I had it set to normal mode and it really did detract from the whole experience, I previously had a Toshiba MT400 which was a lot quieter or seemed to be although the sound level stated was not a lot lower. It is quieter in the eco mode and i have compromised the slight loss to picture brightness to get the lower fan noise and am still more than happy with the picture.I have the projector ceiling mounted about 3m from the seating position and may experiment with some sort of deflector behind on the ceiling to deflect the noise. The other minor niggle i did not think about was the black colour on my white ceiling as pointed out after purchase by my wife! Overall though I can live with these small problems for the price and picture from the projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality projector. Great buy., 12 Mar. 2014
I've never written a review but love my epson projector so much that I thought I would leave a note. Never had one before and I was just about to buy a benq w1070 projector when I saw one of these in a warehouse deal for £640. Amazingly clear images on hd tv and DVDs . I'm expecting great things from bluray films. The 3d works with the standard samsung ssg-5100GB glasses. There not rechargeable but at £15 a go on Amazon or 80 quid for the epson proper ones. It's not a Tough choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing so much better than a TV would need to ..., 27 Dec. 2014
cycles "gadget head" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Absolutely Amazing so much better than a TV would need to spend £4k for the size of the screen if you have a wall big enough and running through Amazon TV makes it a treat to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture right out of the box, 16 Dec. 2014
Great Picture right out of the box.Easy set-up and picture quality is as clear and sharp as an high end LED TV even when projected on a wall.Buy it and you will not regret it.