on 11 August 2004
Gene Wilder is brilliant in this film, and the emphasis is more on him, rather than the books version being centred on Charlie. The story line is great too, its about greed, selfishness and dreams coming true!!! Highly recommended for anybody of any age!
on 7 February 2011
Very surprised by the picture and sound quality. It really is excellent for such an old movie.
Anybody wondering if it's worth the upgrade to blu ray, i'd say yes.
Only downside is the extras are in SD and look a bit ropey in comparison.
on 16 January 2010
First of all, I would consider importing the US version of this movie as it come in a special book type case complete with stories and colour photos.

The slight downside of this release is that all the extras are taken directly from the last DVD special edition. While this in itself is no bad thing, the resolution is still SD, so the quality does deteriorate especially when playing the sing-a-long feature.

The movie itself transfers to Blu-Ray very well, especially with it's 70's style psychedelic boat segment and the eye popping colours really jump out of the screen. The presentation is 16:9 widescreen so makes use of the whole screen (HDTV). The Dolby TruHD audio is nothing to write home about.
on 6 September 2014
This is probably my favourite film of all time. I had it on VHS, then on DVD and I decided to try the Blu-ray. I was not disappointed. The improvement in image clarity is incredible and the extras are great too.
on 12 April 2012
After recently watching Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory for the first time in years, I was amazed at how funny I found it, even though I'm no longer the little kid who used to love it, although my boys are and they love it(10 & 4). The costuming and sets are great, and although the special effects may seem a little archaic by today's CG stuff, it's still pretty good. The children in the film play the parts to perfection, the songs and music are fun and full of life and Gene Wilder is absolutely brilliant as Willy Wonka. But my favourite part of the film - the perfect, sweet last line.

Avoid the large budget re-hash, and watch the original - Wilder possibly at his best!!
on 8 February 2013
This original film is for me much better than the Tim Burton one. Even though the sets and decor of Tim Burton's film had all the money, CGI effects to utilize, this 1971 film version is much softer and well portrayed, with fabulous sets, interesting looks of how a sweet/chocolate factory could look like. The pathos of Charlie Bucket and his poor family is well acted and the joy we all shared when Charlie finds a Golden Ticket is there. As is the feeling of 'you deserved it' when funny and awful things happen to the other children who had won a Golden Ticket. I defy anyone not wanting to go and buy and eat chocolate after seeing this film. A fun film to be enjoyed by all.
on 9 February 2001
This film truly is a classic film that will make you feel a kid again. It is set in a post-war society where chocolate was a luxury item, and kids weren't spoilt brats with computers etc. like Veruca Salt in this movie. Gene Wilder's performance matches exactly with the wackiness of Roald Dahl's protagonist, which surprised me as he's American (no offence, but Roald Dahl books are very British in style). The songs are uplifting and refreshing, worthy of a Broadway musical, and the main theme ("if you want to view Paradise") has a significance that we should all adhere to, not just children. Even if you think this is all philosophical rubbish, this is still a great film without delving into the hidden meanings. This is the ultimate feel-good movie.
on 3 June 2011
we all know how great this film is,but what's surprising is how stunning the blu ray looks!! Warner have done a great job in tidying up this great movie.the colours look stunning!reds,blues and purples which are used a lot in this film look sublime.granted,this film is nearly 40 years old so dont expect digital excellence,but its certainly the best ive ever seen it look.audio is fine and more front heavy.bonus material consists of a brilliant commentary track,by the child actors,all grown up, which is just as entertaining as the film.a brilliant making of which explains why the name of the film differs from the book.(Quaker the food company put the money up to make the film on the promise of promoting its new candy bar called a Wonka bar).A sing a long to 4 of the songs,vintage featurette and a theatrical trailer.Willy Wonka is probably my all time favourite family film,and seeing it in hi-def just makes it so much better.if you don't already own this,demand...I want it now!!!enjoy.
on 8 November 2010
I've always loved this film, ever since I was a child, so the film was always going to get full marks from me and now that I've watched it again on Bluray it definitely gets top marks and more from me.
The picture is simply put stunning, as is the audio.

In my opinion if you loved the film seeing it in SD and you now have a Bluray player and HD TV you should definitely buy this, you won't be disapointed!
on 20 February 2014
You can't beat the original movie and to have it on Blue Ray makes it even better. Sharp sound & picture quality. My kids love it now as much as I did when I was a young child.