1,008
Tangled
Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange
Price:£9.99

on 1 September 2011
So you're sat on a plane, looking through the movies, can't find anything to watch, see this on the menu and realise at 29 you're probably a little too old to watch it... But why not!

I'm so glad I did. In all honesty I was expecting your run of the mill straight to dvd kind of Disney movie as I hadn't heard much about this when it was out in the cinema and I was wonderfully surprised. So much so I bought it as soon as I got back from my holiday :)

This a lovingly crafted take on the classic Rapunzel. I don't really want to give away any spoilers about Disney's take on it as one of the things I liked about this was the intro at the beginning that explains how Rupunzel finds herself hidden away from the world trapped in her tower. Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore do a wonderful job on voicing the main characters. As a Chuck fan I got a kick out hearing Zachary Levi as the wonderfully comedic haphazard "hero". Not often the hero's weapon of choice ends up being a cast iron frying pan :)

Overall without giving too much away, it's a wonderful journey through a familiar fairy tale and will make you laugh in all the right places. Lot's for the kids and plenty for the adults to chuckle at.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I may be a thirty eight year old but I'm not ashamed to say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching this! It well deserves to be Disney's 50th production and harks back to the good old Disney that we know and love.

It's the story of Rapunzel told with the humour and sensitivity that only Disney can provide. The characters are all equally awesome, from the obvious leads of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, to Pascal and Maximus. My favourite scene has got to be when Rapunzel first leaves her tower and is torn between feeling elated and happy to depressed and guilty.

The songs are brilliant, especially 'Mother Knows Best'. The baddies are great and there's some edge of the seat stuff too. If you love Disney like I do, then you're in for a real treat.

All in all, this is a really heartwarming and happy film that will have you smiling like an idiot long after it's finished!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 May 2011
One of the very best Disney movies for decades, possibly ever. When the House of Mouse bought Pixar, I was worried that Pixar's genius and uncompromising dedication to story and character would be diluted by the Disney merchandising machine. But I'm pleased to say the opposite seems to be happening - Pixar seem to be raising the quality of Disney's output. Much respect to everyone involved with making TANGLED, but most particularly to Dan Fogelman for a perfect, perfect screenplay that appeals to boys and girls, young and old. It's got charm, whimsy, action, suspense and real heart. And unlike most Disney fairy tales, the resolution is brilliant, heartfelt, surprising, shocking and genuinely romantic. What more do you want?
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is by far one of the best animated films I have seen in a long time, the story is very well written that keeps close to the theme of the old classic tale WHILST changing certain aspects of the story, which in my opinion was actually an improvement.

Tangled gives you a lot of that old Disney's feeling, while bringing something new, it has beautiful music tracks and just like the old Disney classics, it has songs you could sing along too.

Every character has their own unique personality that you will instantly love, be it Flynn with his hilarious flirtatious behaviour, Rapunzel's cute, caring & clumsiness personality, Pascal the chameleon's sweet yet tough attitude or Maximus; the horse who is completely fearless and has a serious vendetta against Flynn which is extremely entertaining.

The voices were perfect, if someone asked me if I could change anyone's voice, who would it be... I just couldn't do it.

Overall in my opinion this is a master piece, visually the film is stunning and you get a real connection with all the characters, it's just one big emotional roller-coaster. This film will definitely be enjoyed no matter who you are; child, teen, adult, male or female, if you haven't seen it yet, then I would recommend you do so.

Top marks from me!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 July 2011
Tangled is simply a very well made, entertaining family film. The animation is perfectly realised and while cgi obviously had a hand in its creation it was nice to watch what is ostensibly an 'old-fashioned' Disney flick. The story is predictable, but that's kind of the Disney remit, but perfectly paced and full of comedy and pathos. At times it does get slightly mawkish but, again, that's to be accepted and it does not dtract from the film as a whole. The voice cast are all excellent and the on-screen characters are rendered so near-perfectly that every emotion can be seen on their faces, which at times can be both unsettling and uplifting.

It is a perfect, 'cosy' Disney film to be watched on a rainy afternoon to bring a ray of sunshine. And the happy ending almost makes you feel like crying with happiness. This is one film I'll be revisiting again and again. My only gripe (which is entirely personal) is that Rapunzel's tower, enclaved in stunning mountains and accessible only through a hidden tunnel covered with bushes, in which she was imprisoned is so beautiful and comfortingly hidden away (a bit like the wardrobe in the Narnia series) that it was difficult to see it as her prison and something for her to strive to reject. I for one would have returned like a shot.

A film that can only be described in adjectives that I rarely use and do not particularly like: nice, lovely, warm, heart-felt, adorable, pleasant, delightful and enchanting.
on 22 July 2011
In the recent years the Pixar branch of Disney has dominated the market for childrens cinema. I didn't have any expectations for Tangled, but I was absolutley blown away by how fantastic it was. I had almost forgotten that Disney characters used to sing in films, but Tangled reminded me of this within the first 5 minutes of the movie and I knew I was in for a treat. The two leads Rapunzel and Flynn Rider are charasmtic and interesting, particularly Flynn who is hilerious and has some of the best lines, that will make the adults laugh as well as the kids. They're supported by Maximus the horse and Pascal the chameleon who are equally funny and charming. This is a great watch for the whole family and anyone who is a fan of the old Disney format mixed with the new computer animated style of animation.
on 10 March 2011
After the abomination that was Hoodwinked I suspected this would be another weak rip off of a well loved fairytale.

Having been dragged to see it I couldn't have been more wrong, it was much, much better than I expected.

Exciting, inventive, beautifully produced, great characters, story, humour and animation. It easily kept me engaged as well as the children.

One of the best releases in this genre for the last couple of years.

Will be well worth buying when it's released as the kids will watch it over and over again.
on 30 January 2011
Yes! If not funnier! Take a look at the picture, sword-fighting horse, girl with ridiculously long hair wielded as a weapon (I laughed every time she walked across the screen and the hair just kept trailing behind her), a chameleon on top of the girl's head, and a roguish guy wielding a frying pan. Hilarious, right? Makes you giggle. Well, no matter how old you are, you are going to love Rapunzel, Maximus (the horse), Pascal (the chameleon), and Flynn. And you will laugh every few minutes for a few minutes. And when you're not laughing, you're sniggering or captivated.

And yes, I was serious when I said all ages, as Disney have certainly kept the parents and older siblings (who would invariably be dragged to watch this) in mind. Some kids sat next to me, enjoyed the movie (don't know how much, but they didn't seem disappointed with it). My Mom, loved the movie. Sixteen year old me, loved the movie with one minor exception that could at most take half a star out of my rate, but that's not an option on Amazon. I walked out of the theatre certain of one thing, I want this movie on DVD.

The songs aren't amazingly awesome, meaning Alan Menken (wrote the songs for Aladdin and many other classic Disney) let us down somewhat. But overall the songs aren't bad, very good, even. The "villain's song" isn't the best, but it has a great, unique feel to it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The title basically says all you need to know about this entertaining family movie.

But for padding I'll add: - at first, I wasn't particularly inspired to watch this film (hadn't heard ant of the hype others have referred to) but it was on the telly and as nothing else of much interest was on I left it as 'moving wallpaper' for my 2 year old son whilst I busied myself with other things, but I couldn't help but get drawn into parts that I saw so much so that I had to buy it to watch from the beginning.

The film is what you would expect of a Disney animation, but at its best. It's not what I would call laugh-out-loud funny but it does have the old magic that leaves a solid feel-good factor. The dialogue sparkles with plenty of quips that are bound to go over the heads of youngsters watching but will make adults smile. The music is a lively blend of folk and Broadway musical (and a bit operatic at times), the songs are clever and add to the story being told and the animation at parts is outstanding. I particularly like the scenes (e.g. in the cave) where the smallest nuances in gestures and facial expressions are so effectively captured by the animators, it's really impressive how far the genre has come since Toy Story.

My infant son doesn't speak much yet but he certainly does his best to be fully interactive with the film; he loves la-la-ing (his version of singing) or dancing to the music.

If you like family animation movies, this one should be in your collection.
on 27 July 2011
What can i say about this?

Well, after my disappointment at the Princess and the Frog, I wasn't sure that this film would impress me. But boy! I loved it so much!

The characters, much more realistic than your usual disney characters. A princess who can actually save herself! Along with a flawed, but hilarious male lead, a very clever horse and an adorable little chameleon. A scary bad guy (woman) who wont terrify your children! And the bandits are simply brilliant and funny.

A lovely story with some of the best music i've heard from Disney in a long time (it would have to be coming from Alan Menken!). The voice actors they chose were fantastic, Mandy Moore just has the sweetest talking voice, and a beatiful singing voice that your children would just love to sing along to (be warned!).

My only hang up would be the ending, which I wont go into detail (don't want to spoil it for anyone!) but it was probably the only bit that I wasn't happy about.

This was one of those films that I watched in the cinema in absolute wonder, I had tears in my eyes for a lot of this film because it was just so wonderful! I preordered it (something i almost never do with films) as soon as I possibly could, and when it arrived, I watched it 3 times in a row and loved every moment!

I would have liked to see Flynn get a song to himself, because as it is, he gets a tiny bit in the bandits song and then a duet with Rapunzel near the end, and I think he should have had his own song.

So all in all, a brilliant film from Disney! Well worth watching for kids and for adults...anyone really. Just sit back and enjoy!