Colour Name: 3*USB3.0 + 1*Gigabit Ethernet LANChange

on 20 June 2014
Great usb hub. Like the on and off switch. Like the design, style and weight. Great for using to watch films via TV, as when I just stuck my stick directly into the TV it failed after around an hour, due to the heat from the TV, this way the heat is dispersed along the length of the cable and it no longer fails. Great hub and great price would recommend.
on 3 March 2014
Video review and demo of Inateck USB3.0 Hub. Adi shows you the device in action and talks you through the benefits.
44 comments120 of 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2015
 This product HB4009 was kindly sent to me for testing and feedback by Inateck. Took a bit to figure out how this product actually works but when I did was very pleased what is possible to actually do with it.

You may find it tricky to set it up, particularly with the Android smartphone or a tablet but once you do, everything is working fine. It was pretty cool to use my laptops touchpad to control a mouse on my Android smartphone.

First and foremost, you can use this product as an extension lead to your USB port, so you will be able to connect up to 3 devices to your single USB 3.0 port and take advantage of transfer rates up to 5Gbps unless if you connected it to older USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 port. Please note that this device will not turn your older USB port into USB 3.0.

Second interesting thing is Magic Port which you can use to connect to another device such as another desktop pc, laptop or a mac computer and you can also connect to Android smartphone or a tablet via provided OTG cable. But note that Android device must be OTG enabled in order for it to work.

Once you have connected to another device you will be able to move your mouse over from one device to another and even copy and paste files in between. You can also use a keyboard and type on either devices. You can switch over by using one of the hotkeys which you can pre-set in advance.

You can also plug devices such as USB pens to any of the three USB ports and connect them with your Android smartphone via OTG for example.

One thing to note is when connecting to your smartphone, Windroid Linker app must be downloaded from the link/QR code provided in the instruction manual. If you download an app from Google Play store I was able to run app but unable to connect my laptop to my smartphone. So I downloaded from the link provided in instruction manual and it worked then. Some people might have an issue with that as you have to adjust your smartphone settings to allow to install application which is not downloaded from Google Play store directly. And some people may go directly and look for Windroid Linker app in Google Play store rather than scanning barcode.

Also, please note that some phones such as Sony Xperia Z3 have OTG enabled by default and some will require root to enable it.

Overall, I would give this product 4.5 stars as some people may find it challenging to set it up with a smartphone but company did a great job in explaining everything in instruction manual. Apart from that it is excellent product and I personally had no issues with it at all.
I’ve had my 4 port USB 3.0 Hub for several weeks now and how I managed without it prior, is beyond me. I am a bit of a techy geek and have so many items that require USB and as any other iMac users out there know, there are limited USB ports on both a Mac and the keyboard. Never quite enough! I also like products that look good as well as work well and this quality hub does indeed pass my exacting standards in the looks department. Quality manufacture - does what it says on the tin and has made my life in and around my computers easier and neater. It’s surprisingly compact and therefore takes up very little space on my already overfilled desk. I didn’t have to move things around too much to find somewhere for it to live. I have used this with my iMac and my MacBook Pro - both with equal satisfaction. I like the fact that the USB ports offer a snug and secure fit (no wobbling about with my USB plugs etc.) and the whole design of the hub is secure and has a look of quality. Over the past few weeks I have tested this hub with a variety of USB devices including a pen drive, artists tablet, HDD hard disk etc. and had no problems whatsoever and I regularly now charge my smart phone with it. The on/off switch is priceless. The manufacturer seems to have thought of everything when they designed this and I for one am exceptionally happy with it. Superb value for the price and at a quality that is better than imagined. Cannot fault it at all and I fully expect to get many happy years use from it.
I received this free to test and review.

PLEASE NOTE a number of different devices are reviewed under this heading, the one I am reviewing is the 4 port with OTG capability and unpowered.

Out of the box and it is well packed, it is a well-made hub with a slightly unusual configuration having 3 standard usb sockets on the top and one on the end. As I use a lot of memory sticks I like this configuration as it allows them to point upwards and less prone to damage than the usual format where they stick out from the side.
Being usb 3 it is fast, I did not measure transfer speed as such but it seemed just as fast as when I was transferring files directly from the usb 3 socket on my laptop. Although it draws power from the PC/laptop or other device and will power usb attachments if you want to have anything that has a high power requirement it is better to ensure that it is separately powered, this is more important when in OTG (On the Go) mode.
It can be used as an OTG device by plugging an adaptor (Supplied and tethered) on to the end of the standard usb plug). OTG although included in the usb2 standard has not been widely implemented and certainly not for cameras etc. With the OTG adaptor and plugging the micro usb plug into a Chinese unbranded tablet running Android 4.0.3 "Ice Cream sandwich" it worked well and supported a number of usb devices including HDD and memory sticks. This was very useful to transfer MP4 video easily. I do not have a OTG compatible phone so check that your phone or other device is OTG compatible if that is the primary reason for getting this hub.
I also tested this with a laptop running Windows 8.
In summary
A very useful, fast and well made usb3 hub with the bonus of OTG compatibility.
on 30 December 2013
I got the Inateck HBU3VL3-4 to add 3 extra USB 3.0 ports to my desktop PC, which currently has 2 x USB 3.0 ports, thanks to Inateck's brilliant PCI-E to USB 3.0 card (see my review here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1PUL93NHZT6MA/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm).

***** In The Box *****

Upon opening the box, i found:
1 x USB 3.0 Hub with Ethernet port
1 x Driver CD
1 x User Manual

***** Installation *****

This product doesn't really need much installing, but connection to my Windows 7 x64 computer was extremely simple - it was just a matter of plugging the hub into a USB 3.0 port on my PC and waiting a few seconds while windows installed the driver for the Ethernet port for me (I didn't even need the supplied driver CD).

Note!
You can also plug the hub into a USB 2.0 port, but you will not benefit from the increased speed and power that USB 3.0 brings.

***** Testing *****

I plugged my Buffalo USB 3.0 MiniStation Slim HDD, into one of the ports on the hub and then ran a CrystalDisk Mark test on the hard disk to test the read and write speeds of the drive. The Sequential Read speed was 112.5 MB/s while the Sequential Write speed was 112.8 (see product images for more detail), pretty much identical speeds as when connecting the HDD straight to the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 card.

Although i haven't ran any sort of data throughput tests on the hub's included Gigabit ethernet port, i can confirm that windows shows that the ethernet port connected at 1.0 Gbps and web browsing and streaming video was as smooth as my usual 1.0 Gbps ethernet connection.

***** Conclusion *****

The Inateck USB 3.0 hub and Ethernet port, is a great little device - allowing you to easily expand the number of USB 3.0 ports available on your laptop or PC, while at the same time you get the added bonus of an extra Ethernet port.

Although the casing is made of plastic, the hub feels nice and solid and of very good quality.

The only thing that would have been nice to have, but isn't included on the Inateck HBU3VL3-4 hub, would be a power indicator LED for the USB ports and send/receive indicator LED's for the Ethernet port, but this would definitely not stop me from recommending the product in the future.
review image review image
11 comment14 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2014
Bought this as i have a 27" iMac and started to run out of USB ports and also the fact of having to reach round the back to access the ports can be a pain at times.

Decided on this and I'm not disappointed.

It looks great and works with no issues, and does what its suppose to do.

My only minor gripe is that its a little light and i would of preferred it to be a little more weighty, so that when connecting and disconnecting devices it wouldn't be moving around everywhere.

I have solved this by using some velcro and secured it to my iMac stand.
on 19 May 2015
Worked will for a year then the cable broke at the entry to the unit - (needs the grommet that keeps it stable to go further in the unit).

I would have expected better for the price.

Soon after writing this I received the following from the supplier 10/10 for customer care!

Hi, Michael

Thanks for your business with us, I am sorry for the hassle this caused you. We noted you left us a negative review.

From the comment you said it worked well for a year then the cable broke at the entry to the unit.

I understand that you have expected more and felt a bit disappointing. Sorry that it's out of warranty we couldn't guarantee a replacement. I hope your kind understanding.

But in order to show our sincerity, we could refund 40% as the discount if you want to purchase it again. It's now selling £19.99 in UK. Hope we had the chance.

Many thanks for your patience and understanding, please feel free to contact us. I wish you a nice day.

Best regards
Cookie
--------------------
on 10 January 2015
DISCLAIMER!

I returned an unpowered hub to replace with this one, because the plug was dodgy (intermittent comms failure with devices that didn't need power) and the whole build was cheap (the pic looked better than the physical article).

The beauty of this little beast is that it's small and POWERED!

Read that again....POWERED!

As I found quote the hard way, plug an unpowered USB port into an iMac and things like scanners refuse to communicate so, you end up plugging the devices that need power directly into the ports on the computer and run the things that don't need power out of the hub.

With this, you get the best of both worlds. I can now run my Epson scanner from a hub thanks to the power supplied to the USB port. (BTW, I still need to plug my scanner into the mains just in case anyone was wondering that this hub will power an Epson scanner - it won't!)

If you want a small, discreet powered USB hub that works on both PC & Mac, this will do you proud.
on 31 March 2014
There seemed to be a few negative comments of this product but at the moment I'm beginning to think those people where just unlucky, didn't give it a chance or have a more specialised requirement.

For what I need it for it works great. I just need it to be able to charge my Samsung mobile phone and (which works by plugging into one of the two red charging sockets) and also to be able to access my USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 memory sticks which it does.

As an added bonus it does work with my Logitech M570 wireless trackball. I have the wireless transmitter plugged into one of the hubs blue usb 3.0 ports. Now for this to work on my Windows 7 PC I did have to reboot the PC after plugging in for it to work.
Also if your PC does not recognise the transmitter in the hub on first go then try plugging it directly in your pc first to get the driver installed and then plug it into the hub after a reboot.

I've not tested this hub on Windows 8 yet but can't see it giving me any problems.

With regards to it being too light - I use blue tack. This is not a failing of the hub as all the hubs I've ever purchased I've had to blue tack down.

Finally for people who say it gets hot when used the hub and transformer for me are both stone cold even for long periods. Note: I've not tried adding in hdd's though.

A well priced great product that works well for me.