5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Sea-Park
The 4th and best of Steve Alten's Meg series.
The main characters from the previous 3 books are back; both human, with Jonas Taylor and the staff at the Tanaka Institute and Lagoon, and animal with Angel and her brood of Megalodon pups. It even features an ex Bond girl in a supporting role.
This book takes us deep into the Pacific with the discovery of an...
Published on 6 Jan 2010 by I. R. Kerr

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure piffle
Steve Alten's "Meg" series started bad and went steadily downhill from there. I tend to read them because (a) I have a fascination for the deep ocean, and (b) I have a morbid curiosity to see whether Mr. Alten can get any worse. The last book hit the bottom of the Marianas Trench. This one has commenced excavation there. Laughable plot, weak cardboard characters, poor...
Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Teemacs

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurassic Sea-Park, 6 Jan 2010
I. R. Kerr (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hell's Aquarium (Meg) (Hardcover)
The 4th and best of Steve Alten's Meg series.
This book takes us deep into the Pacific with the discovery of an undersea region teeming with life forms that make their prehistoric land living cousins seem fairly mild by comparison. Alten soon ratchets up the action as a rich Arab pursues his dream of creating the world's greatest marine park filled with creatures long thought to be extinct and entices Jonas' son David to assist them in a safari to the deepest depths of the Pacific.
From the outset the book holds nothing back and the savage natures of the beasts is apparent within the first few pages and the body count soon starts to mount leading to confrontation with animal rights activists. There are a series of small black & white drawings throughout that are a nice addition but don't really add that much to the story.
What appealed to me most was the introduction of several different species of marine life, some inquisitive others more menacing and ending in a battle royal between two of the most dangerous creature that have ever swum in Earth's oceans. There's also a nice nod towards Jaws with the discovery of a long lost ship that will be familiar to fans of that book/film.
The last page announcement that The Taylors will return in Meg 5: Night Stalkers will delight all fans of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars MEG gets better and better!, 23 Jun 2010
M. Chase - See all my reviews
Having read the previous 3 MEG books in order, I couldn't imagine how Steve Alten could take this concept any further. I underestimated him. This is possibly the best book of the lot and keeps the series fresh with the promise of at least one more Megalodon novel to come in the future. An absolutely brilliant story with great set pieces and why the film studios are dragging their heels over the making of the movie I don't know. If I could have given this book six stars I would have. It adds to the experience to have read the previous books but it is not essential and you could quite easily enjoy Hell's Aquarium in it's own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK IS AMAZING BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT !!!, 9 July 2009
Jon Calton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell's Aquarium (Meg) (Hardcover)
Having been a fan of Steve Alten's Meg series for some time, I was desperate for the latest book. This is an amazing story. Just when you thought he couldn't top the last book, he completely pulls it out of the bag and comes back with a new story, some interesting plot twists and a whole new set of circumstances that create tension and drama. You simply can't stop turning the pages. I read this in a few hours because I couldn't put it down. If you haven't read his stuff before he writes really easily and each page leads you very nicely to the next. The subject matter is fascinating and he interjects science and facts into the story but it is all about the story and the characters and the drama. I loved this book and it is one I will re-read and re-read. This is definitely the best in the Meg series - bring on No 5 I say!!!!!! BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT! IF YOU LOVE SHARKS OR JAWS YOU'LL LOVE THIS FOR SURE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars it's about time a Meg movie hit our screens, 24 Aug 2010
I enjoyed reading this book, I read the first Meg and was captivated, the other Meg books were so so. But Steve Alten is on form with Hell's Aquarium, with his words you can really get a visual sense how powerful a fully grown Meg would be, amazing they are extinct....right....!

I think it's about time a Meg movie hit our screens in 3D of course. Looking forward to Steve's next installment also on a kindle eBook format would be good too.

all the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read!, 12 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Meg: Hell's Aquarium (Kindle Edition)
best of all four books recommend meg to anyone who love jaws.
meg is hard to beat recommend you read book one first

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm dying for the next Alten masterpiece!!, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Meg: Hell's Aquarium (Kindle Edition)
I soo enjoyed reading this on my Kindle, I also thought it was the best of the series, with sooo much going on, many likeable and dislikeable characters, fish, mammal and humanoid! I urge Mr Alten to get going on another similar book about Megaladons, the abyss, etc. Can't wait

5.0 out of 5 stars Dallas with Sharks!, 16 Nov 2013
Guy James Cole "Neurotic" (Kraków, Poland) - See all my reviews
If you think that 3 is the magic number, and that any fourth book or film is going to somehow be weaker than the trilogy that preceded it, you'd only be partly right in the case of the fourth MEG book. The good news is that rather than being a washed-out tack-on, Hell's Aquarium goes in fresh, interesting directions that open up the possibilities for the future, as well as providing an amazing sense of the series' past too.

Book 4 opens a considerable time after the events of Primal Waters, and at this point in the series there's a fantastic sense of dynasty and tradition, continuity of life and the interaction between the generations - on both sides! Fans of the series will have invested a lot of time with the Taylors and their travails with Angel and her brood, and the masterstroke of Hell's Aquarium is in acknowledging that in-between toothsome adventures, time moves on, people change, and life keeps dealing new cards. (Many of which in this book are of the prehistoric, flesh-eating variety!).

Perhaps the best way I can put my experience with this book is by saying that I had similar feelings when I saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture back in '79 - old faces and new faces, doing familiar things in new and interesting ways... And if that doesn't mean anything to you, just rest assured that it's a very, very good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Terror Continues, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Hell's Aquarium (Meg) (Hardcover)
Usually the fourth part to a series is usually the worst; not in this case. Though I don't think the original can be topped; even though I found the finale to Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror to be somewhat disappointing; I'd rank Hell's Aquarium as my second favourite.

This is such a great series and I can't wait for the next installment Night Stalkers, plus I'd love to see the Meg Movie made too.

I'd like to congratulate Steve Alten on his fast paced writing technique. Highly recommended, especially to those in the UK who have overlooked this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Mar 2013
M. WEYMOUTH - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell's Aquarium (Meg) (Hardcover)
I've become such a massive fan of the Meg series, the author really does know all his fact from sharks, to country landmarks, to submarines and boats and general aquarium setup before he put pen to paper. And I love most of all, even though the book's entirely fictional, that he get's all the factual biology in there too, because if your a huge shark fan like myself, those bits are really important :)

Meg: Hell's Aquarium