5.0 out of 5 stars Urban not rustic with style & shaping
Published 16 months ago by Mary S

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
Published 16 months ago by grumpya

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 11 Sept. 2013
Some nice simple designs & a few that are a little harder to make but give a nice simple look. I like the designs but some of them are not in a full range of sizes. My main niggle with these patterns is that the yarn weights are given in American and the guage squares are given in pattern, if I want to buy wool to make one of these it involves a load of searching on the internet to find the wool they state they made the sample in, then getting the tension off the ball band for that, then finding a substitute - why not just give the guage for stocking stitch on every pattern as well as the guage for the fancy stitch pattern. Other than that, not a bad book, designs are probably 30 somethings age group, if you like Next & similar stores I would think you probably like these. Some easy knits some intermediate, none of the patterns are of the awful genre where they are made really really hard just for the pleasure of knitting but the finished garment is something no one would wear. All the designs are design led rather than product or technique led

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban not rustic with style & shaping, 15 Sept. 2013
The first test for me with a new knitting book is to flick though & see how many of the patterns I really want to knit right now. This book passes this test. The designs, as the title suggests, are urban rather than rustic & quite sophisticated. The wools used are US, so need to be translated into the UK equivalent ply, though at least the needle sizes are given in metric. This is not a book for beginners, as you need to be confident with substituting yarns, using charts, knitting in the round & top down knitting. Given that, the designs are stylish, quite timeless, with shaping, so your efforts are likely to give rise to something you will actually want to wear, without unnecessary over complication. Also, a number of different your weights & fibres are used, so you may have something in the stash already you can use.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 16 July 2013
Several designs I could knit from this yummy book! The patterns use American yarns but you can find equivalents with no problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interweave designs= mumsy, 5 May 2014
jazzy pom "jazzypom" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I don't know what it is with Interweave Knits, and their influence on a designer. No matter how edgy or unexpected a designer starts out, once they get aligned to Interweave Knits, their styles become pretty boring, expected, mumsy. One can say that it's the midwestern charm of Interweave Knits- the styles are unfussy, geared for knitters 35 and up, so you can't have anything too wild or unexpected. Ms Wehrle has fallen into that trap. There are three- four good pieces (the cardigan on the cover, for example), but the rest is stuff that you'd find in an old knit magazine from the early naughties. A lace jumper with a cowl, a cardigan with patterned outside pockets. YAWN.

The yarns are very much American (Berroco Alpaca, Cascade heathers, etc), but the substitutions are relatively straight forward. I'd flick through and ask, "Do I really need this?" before buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful style, 28 July 2013
I thought this book of knitting patterns was terrific as it was more city style than country. Some quite polished styles indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable number of really good patterns, 28 Sept. 2014
Some good patterns in here. I don't like them all (I never do!) but there's a greater percentage in here that I like than in most books, and only a couple of horrors - I'd say most of the nicest patterns are in the Look Inside preview, so don't expect any surprise delights! Of the items I won't knit, some show useful things e.g. how to add a hood, which I might use when designing my own patterns. I'm making the Opera House Mitts which are knitting up a treat and look great. Nicely laid out book and good info on yarns to find alternatives; not too much waffle about wearing for family brunches in New York etc!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful knits, but so American, 31 July 2013
Some beautiful knitting patterns in this book which I am looking forward to having a go at knitting. The only downside is the wool which is all described for the American market. Some of the wools I haven't heard of and I'm having to search the Internet to see exactly what ply it relates to in the UK. I'm just hoping that I will be able to knit at least one of the garments if I can find a suitable wool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Aug. 2014
excellent patterns

5.0 out of 5 stars Metropolitan knits, 19 Jan. 2014
A great book for a gift for a knitter friend for Christmas. She loved it. It is well illustrated and comprehensive.