5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at work
At the time of writing the only review of this box set is a one star review that is surely either a joke or the ramblings of a mad man. I leave you to decide.

Published 7 months ago by DawgHead

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off
Published 7 months ago by Mr. M. Beebeejaun

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at work, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)

Most of you looking at this box will only be wondering whether or not to shell out again for music you probably already own in its now traditional stereo form. The answer in my opinion is most definitely.

You get the original albums in very good quality miniature sleeves. It would have been nice to have had the discs in high quality plastic sleeves like the Beatles mono set but sadly this was not to be.

The mastering is sensational: clear and detailed . The booklet gives information as to how this was done and which masters were used but the bottom line is to my ears it all sounds fabulous. I much prefer the mono of recordings such as this as it sounds much more "real". I've always had difficulty with early stereo when things are heavily panned and although these albums aren't particularly lousy in stereo the mono is a revelation. I can't imaging many people feeling short changed after a few listens.

This box contains one of the greatest "hot streaks" of any musician in the era of recorded music. There are no extra tracks as on the stereo reissues but, quite frankly, why would you need them? This is genius at work. Show me another series of albums comparable in impact and I'll buy them as well.

You need this in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Classic Miles beautifully presented. Great remastering. Might be a little expensive but is well worth it to hear these classic albums as they were originally meant to be heard. WOW!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hesitated, but bought eventually, 1 Mar 2014
JA Black (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Was on my Christmas wish list but didn't appear. Was in my local record shop last week and found it on sale for a bargain 22. Only listened to Kind of Blue so far but not hesitating in giving it five stars. The mastering is remarkable and mono sound is a revelation.

My only complaint is that the packaging is a bit naff given the retail price and the importance of the set. It's difficult to get the discs out of the box, if you put the sleeves spine side out or I the discs come out of the sleeves and the glue on some of the sleeves is failing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles Ahead.......!, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Have to agree with DawgHead on this....really rich warm sounding remasters....in glorious MONO... nice package , but a lot of you will probably have these tracks 4 or 5 times over anyway...so you pays your money...but overall i think it's worth shelling out...again!!..just....

4.0 out of 5 stars Only for those without a Stereo/Mono button on their hi-fi ... and me, 22 July 2014
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
I don't know where hi-fi is going these days, and I guess it is of less concern to me as I age and my hearing grows duller. I agreed with Neil Young that many of us lost our enthusiasm for music once CD arrived. But then SACD emerged, giving a glorious sound, and I totally changed my view. However it didn't catch on. While they were available, I bought all the standard titles, including 'Kind of Blue' on SACD. Now of course we have MP3/iTunes, with poorer sound quality but the great advantage of enabling you to carry your entire library in your pocket. But I can't enjoy music in company at the volume I love because my partner has tinnitus. Life is full of compromises. In fact, I'm only writing this review now because my partner is away.

In the end, the problem with SACD was that you had to sit in exactly the right spot to get the benefit of the 5+1 speakers - not suitable for today's hectic world. In fact, if you're constantly on the move in your home, what use even is stereo? Do you expect stereo from speakers integrated into the ceiling? Or in department stores? Or in lifts?

If you have the time to draw distinctions, then this could well be the boxed set for you. It is attractively packaged in cardboard, though it comes with one of those card wrappers which contain a little information but provide no means of affixing themselves to the box once the shrink wrapping is off.

I like these remasters because I don't feel guilty about not being in the same room as my speakers!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Is Miles Davis cash machine is following the foot step of Beatles or Dylan in relesing this mono box set to those who reside in the cellar with dansette player and who can not tell the difference between mono or stereo.Thre mono set for those who live in those happy days in the golden past when they have lard to butter theit bread instead butter that is so good it will lower your blood presure and put hairs on your head .Come on Davis mono box set is second or third class than the Beatles or Dylan mono box set. The Davis cash machine wants to make a killing on Broadway.Do not buy it and until the price drop off OR you can get it free at at Tesco chain if you spend 30 pounds.Every year Sony has to make more money by recycling old Davis cd in box set and may be next year there will be more Miles Davis music on 78 records and some one willm it is closer than the original sound and you can hear some burb in the 100 records set of 150 box set.This next box set is indensible and a must buy.The price of the box set in mono is over priced.Thanks to all those who think I a mad or can not write English which is my second language.There is a lot of mad people who think they are sane and sane people who do not think they are mad.Thanks Amazon for not removing my review. On the 15th of Jan 2014 I still believe that I can spend moneyon Bob Dylan or Beatles mono box set but no way I will buy Davis mono box set and still it is a a rip off.Someone said that if you play this mono in wind up gramophone after Davis play his solo part you can hear him breathing down you neck.The next box set will the super 78 records by playing the record you can see Virtual Miles Davis and see smoke and smell from his woodbine cigarette in the comfort of your room. Those who like Miles Davis mono box set,then buy Toscanini complete RCA box set.You can see Toscanini on the podium waving his baton and if you yawn he will throw the score at you.I got few bruises last week,may be Miles Davis will blow the smoke from his woodbine to you .........

The Original Mono Recordings
The Original Mono Recordings by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 2013)