5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at work
At the time of writing the only review of this box set is a one star review that is surely either a joke or the ramblings of a mad man. I leave you to decide.

Published 19 months ago by DawgHead

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is inferior to other editions on the market
Published 3 months ago by G

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius at work, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)

Most of you looking at this box will only be wondering whether or not to shell out again for music you probably already own in its now traditional stereo form. The answer in my opinion is most definitely.

You get the original albums in very good quality miniature sleeves. It would have been nice to have had the discs in high quality plastic sleeves like the Beatles mono set but sadly this was not to be.

The mastering is sensational: clear and detailed . The booklet gives information as to how this was done and which masters were used but the bottom line is to my ears it all sounds fabulous. I much prefer the mono of recordings such as this as it sounds much more "real". I've always had difficulty with early stereo when things are heavily panned and although these albums aren't particularly lousy in stereo the mono is a revelation. I can't imaging many people feeling short changed after a few listens.

This box contains one of the greatest "hot streaks" of any musician in the era of recorded music. There are no extra tracks as on the stereo reissues but, quite frankly, why would you need them? This is genius at work. Show me another series of albums comparable in impact and I'll buy them as well.

You need this in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy with confidence, 27 July 2014
Mohammad A. Rahman (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Regardless of Columbia's motivation for re-releasing these albums yet again (they're a record company, they want to make money - big surprise!) I am delighted to have these mono versions which sit happily next to my Beatles and Bob Dylan mono boxes. I was initially hesitant to buy this because of some of the reviews here (ok, one wasn't actually a review, we all know which one I'm talking about - Amazon, please remove it!). I saw the box set in a shop in Krakow exactly two weeks ago and it wasn't until I was leaving Krakow by overnight train on Friday night that I gave into temptation and spent the last of my zloty - it was my treat for having completed my CELTAYL. The first thing I did after I got home to my flat in Bratislava was to put "Miles Ahead" on my very cheap Philips mini hifi and listen with my headphones. The difference between the mono and stereo mix is incredible. The stereo mix, while laudable and admirable for its clarity and richness, now sounds overbearingly rich and bright. I'll probably still listen to it but not often. It reminds me of the fad for 5.1 surround sound mixes - I have two Grateful Dead albums, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, on DVD-Audio and specially mixed for 5.1. Do you know how many times I've listened to them? Once. And that was just after I purchased them. If done properly, and they were, they sound fantastic - yes, you can hear things that were previously inaudible but at the end of the day it's a fad. Stereo started the same way - a fad for audiophiles with expensive equipment - and while improvements have been made over the years, albums that were originally mixed in mono remain better experienced that way. That goes for the 9 Miles Davis albums presented here.

Another point to make about "Miles Ahead" is that this mono edition is different to the mono CD edition released in 1994. We all know now, following the release of the Miles Davis/Gil Evans box set, that the early CD editions of "Miles Ahead", including the "authentic" mono CD of 1994, used alternate takes, something which the box set painstakingly proved. The mono "Miles Ahead" on this set is, finally, the correct mono version.

The next album I put on was "Kind Of Blue". Although the collection is proud to restate time and again that it has recreated the original mono albums as originally heard by the record buying public in the 50s, this is not entirely true. "Kind Of Blue" as presented in this box is in mono but using the corrected speed version, as originally unveiled for the Gold Master CD. Ok, big deal, I suppose we're used to the corrected speed version since that has been the standard CD version now for nearly 20 years. The mono mix is sensational and, for me, this will be the version I listen to forever. It is brilliant. I love "Freddie Freeloader", it sounds so warm and vibrant in mono. The stereo mix is nice but bright and echoey (I don't know but it's not as homey as the mono mix).

The third one I've heard so far is "Someday My Prince Will Come" which is an absolute joy. Brilliant, brilliant all round.

I hope record companies now begin to see the value of re-releasing older albums in remastered mono mixes. It seems to me that when stereo mixes were made, it was a bit like taking black and white films and colourising them. I suppose that stereo was inevitable but I do think that albums originally mixed in mono deserved to be heard that way, in the same way that a black and white films deserves to be seen in black and white and not colourised.

I've only mentioned a few of the highlights. Don't hesitate, buy with confidence, especially if the price remains under £40. I paid £41 or 58 Euros for the box set I bought in Poland. I don't care, it's worth every zloty! Headphones, no headphones, mono is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Classic Miles beautifully presented. Great remastering. Might be a little expensive but is well worth it to hear these classic albums as they were originally meant to be heard. WOW!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles Ahead.......!, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Have to agree with DawgHead on this....really rich warm sounding remasters....in glorious MONO... nice package , but a lot of you will probably have these tracks 4 or 5 times over anyway...so you pays your money...but overall i think it's worth shelling out...again!!..just....

5.0 out of 5 stars Hesitated, but bought eventually, 1 Mar. 2014
JA Black (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Was on my Christmas wish list but didn't appear. Was in my local record shop last week and found it on sale for a bargain £22. Only listened to Kind of Blue so far but not hesitating in giving it five stars. The mastering is remarkable and mono sound is a revelation.

My only complaint is that the packaging is a bit naff given the retail price and the importance of the set. It's difficult to get the discs out of the box, if you put the sleeves spine side out or I the discs come out of the sleeves and the glue on some of the sleeves is failing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is inferior to other editions on the market, 5 April 2015
G (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
The recordings seem to have been well enough remastered but the sound production on 'Kind of Blue', the only other Miles Davis album I have, is markedly less enjoyeable than the stereo recording I have of it. Although I cannot really say much about the other 8 albums, if there are stereo recordings of those on the market it would quite surprise me if the soundstage experience would be different from the album which I compared.
It's true that this set sounds well enough when played on a normal hifi stereo (although I do have upmarket material) but when I listened to Kind of Blue through my Audiotechnica M40x -whom it is more hard to fool- the difference in soundquality became immediately very clear. Soundstage is more cramped, the instruments become too entangled etc. In short: a typical mono recording of that time, and there are reasons why today music is no longer produced that way.
Unless you are a nostalgic fan of old sound production my advice is to leave those in the store.
I'm bringing them back first thing next week.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Miles Davis...., 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
These are some of the best recordings of Miles you will hear. If you're a vinyl fan, as I am, I think you will still enjoy these CD's. I've compared two of them to my mono vinyl recordings and in my opinion, there is just a bit more clarity with the CD's. Anyway, if you're a fan of Miles Davis, you can't go wrong with this box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful packaging and sound in this boxset including some of ..., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Wonderful packaging and sound in this boxset including some of Mr. Davis' early masterpieces. The "A kind of blue" mono mix in this box may be the best digital version currently available. And the Amazon UK price is phenomenal. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles in crystal clear mono comes alive, 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Davis' music comes alive in the original mono, thought I was in the room with the musicians

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Original Mono Recordings (Audio CD)
Great sound with punchy mix. A thoroughly new and interesting listen.

The Original Mono Recordings
The Original Mono Recordings by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 2013)