Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones - Black
Style Name: On-earColour Name: BlackChange
Price:£99.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Style Name: On-earColour Name: GreenVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The styling and construction quality of these headphones is outstanding. They have a quality of finish which I find really pleasing to the eye, with a brushed aluminium band and ear pads with soft velvet-like material, which Sennheiser call Alcantara. They are compact and lightweight - 165g including lead.

They are a little smaller than I expected - and that's a good point - the over ear pads are compact measuring 6cm x 8cm diameter, and reduce the external noise without shutting it out completely. Similarly, and just as importantly to me, sounds are well contained within the earphones so not to intrude on those around you. Comfort wise these are first class, they feel light, airy and unobtrusive, and allow the ears to breathe. The headband padding to the top is slim and minimal, with the outer surface having a stitched finish for a traditional appearance. The band has a smooth but firm sliding adjustable action for head fit.

In line controls for iPhone/Pad products are volume, play/pause, answer/end call, skip track, and activate voice control. The 1.4 metre cable is removable (twist to unlock), and there is a spare lead included.

Sound quality is top class. I tested a wide range of music (all CDs on Sony equipment) from bass-heavy David Guetta/Sia (Titanium), instrument-rich tracks by Paramore (Born for This) and Evanescence (Imaginary), through to solo piano music by Einaudi (Oltremare), mezzo soprano vocals by Danielle de Niese (Lascia ch'io pianga), and full blown classical music by Beethoven (Symphony No 9 by the LSO/Haitink 2006). Everything was handled superbly with good balance from bass to top notes.

The headphones come well packaged in foam padded cardboard box with zipped soft carry case.

Very good classy looking headphones with high quality sound to match.
on 3 January 2014
I waited a while before I reviewed them, it's been nearly 2 years.

And I'm thrilled to say that even after a prolonged period of heavy use they still look virtually brand new, are working perfectly and sound fantastic.

This was my first (fairly expensive) pair of headphones after years of Sony in-ear buds and I've never looked back.

And unsurprisingly the Momentum's blow my Brother's beats out of the water in both build and sound quality.

If you're in the market for a solid pair of excellent sounding headphones, then you can't go wrong with these. Trust me, they are superb.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a lucky owner of the full fat Momentums I was massively interested in trying out the new styled up and shrunk down version of the cans.

I have been a big fan of the Momentums and they have quickly become my go-to set of cans when looking for a relaxed listening experience.

So, what are the differences between the new Momentums and the old ones? Well, the first difference is the size, the cups are a good bit smaller on the new ones. Secondly, the headband has slightly less padding, thirdly the earcup padding is made from a synthetic suede that is very hard wearing (as opposed to the plush leather cups of the old Momentums) and fourth is the included case, whereas the old Momentums had a semi-rigid, form-fitting case, the new cans have a generically shaped case which is less rigid (but nonetheless very nice).

One other important difference I noted was the size of the headphone jack, the new cans seem to have shrunk the jack to miniscule proportions, the old cans had a very nice metal jack that could be adjusted from straight on to 90 degrees.

The pictures show the main differences.

Anyway, these cans ooze sex appeal, they are firmly aimed at the street market and will (hopefully) take some of the market share away from the god-awful Beats cans that the kids seem to think are the nuts.

Sennheiser is a well respected brand that has been in the game for a long time and their upper end cans such as the HD 800's and HD 650's have been praised by high-end audiophilles the world over. It is only right that the technology filters down to the lower range items. The original Momentums were highly praised for their styling and highly impressive sound quality. I think the new Momentums (lets call them Momentum Lites) sound equally as impressive.

Okay, the styling is obviously a big factor in this market sector and Sennheiser have thrown out a good range of colours, the green looks really nice, the Alacantra suede on the cups extends to the headband. The cups themselves are the same glass injected plastic as the old Momentums and the nearly but not quite lime green contrasts well with the almost khaki green of the Alacantra. The cabling is black and the package hangs together well, it looks classy without being overstated. As for the ivory/brown, this looks very classy indeed, the semi-gloss of the ivory sits well against the muted brown of the padding. A well chosen and elegant colour combination.

In use the cup size is immediately noticeable, they are a good bit smaller than the old Momentums but as they are so light and don't grip your head too tightly they feel supremely comfortable. In fact, the suede material breathes better than the leather so your ears don't get sweaty during extended listening sessions.

Anyway, enough about looks, how about the sound. Well, I used my standard lineage to trial these phones. It was

Ipod Classic (Rockboxed) > FLAC files > Fiio dock out cable > Fiio E7 Headphone amp
Sansa Clip Zip (Rockboxed) > FLAC files

I burnt the cans in overnight (plugged into ipod left on repeat and played at slightly louder than normal volume).

First up was Winter Fields by Bat For Lashes, this is a good test for cans as the wind solo at the start will reveal the small intakes of breath and the Momentums easily revealed this. The rest of the song was well rendered with equal emphasis across all of the spectrum. These are certainly not bass heavy headphones. Natasha Khans voice was very clear, and a small echo that I had not noticed before was apparent.

I then checked out Stepping Filter from the Analord Series by Aphex Twin. A lot of this material has less than clinical mastering so a revealing set up will show any fuzzy edges to the sounds. Again a good overall performance, some fuzz was apparent which to me is a good thing, you are getting close to the source and picking up detail that less able cans would overlook.

Next up, Get Lucky by Daft Punk. Given the richness of the original recording the Momentums delivered this with ease, the bass was actually quite forward and ever so slightly muddy, not a big surprise as the drivers on these cans are not huge. However, vocals and guitar were masterfully delivered with an effortless ease that made for an excellent listening experience.

I then listened to Foreground by Grizzly Bear, the fragile as glass piano notes were beautifully expressed and the whispered vocals sounded lovely. I am beginning to think the Momentums are strongest with mid range sounds. The muted drum sounds very clear, bassy but not overwhelming

Lastly, I checked out The Eve of the War, from Disc 1 of The War of the Worlds - The opening speech by Richard Burton is a good way to check out the dark space that cans give and the Momentums did not disappoint, again the slight echo was apparent and the noise floor is pretty much spot on. The opening bars of the movement are well presented, the brass is especially impressive, highly defined with no stridency. The strings are also excellent.

So, impressions so far

BASS - Not bass heavy cans but certain bass frequencies seem to come across as slightly muddy. However, other bass frequencies seem well rendered, very definite without being too heavy or forward.

MIDS - Like their bigger cousins the mids just sparkle, vocals are excellently defined and echo can be discerned where lesser cans would fail to pick that up, piano and guitar just sing, you can feel the strings vibrate, excellent

UPPERS - no issues here at all, well rendered, not sibilant or fatiguing

SOUNDSTAGE - These are small cans and the soundstage is not massive, slightly smaller than the full size cousins but you are not going to get a broad stage with cans of this form factor.

SOUND ISOLATION - The suede material leaks more sound in and out than the full size Momentums so sound isolation is not as good. However, the plus side is that the ears don't sweat and can breathe a lot better than with the full size cans.

OVERALL - A very impressive set of cans that are shockingly good given the market they are aimed at. They are well refined with the weight of the marque behind them. They have the feeling that they would be pretty scalable too and would grow with your system. The slight muddiness in part of the bass frequency is an issue but could be ironed out with judicious equalizing making these a very capable and competent set of cans.

I would easily recommend these over the likes of Beats headphones, they are hugely impressive, incredibly well made, refined, understated and the sound belies the massive heritage and expertise behind them. This is yet another slam dunk for Sennheiser, what is impressive here is that they are aiming at the Beats market and have quickly developed a new lines of headphones that is not simply an old can with a snazzy paint job, they have made a set of very capable cans that sounds really nice.

Highly recommended.
review image review image review image
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: On-earColour Name: PinkVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Just a great set of headphones. Marketed as pink in colour and they are but they can also get away with being described as a purpley plum variant so not too bad even for self-concious males! They are really snug on the ears, really padded suede which rests on and also envelopes the ear without completely encompassing it. It might be an issue though if you had particularly big ears as they are not the largest ear pieces going.
The sound is rich and deep, can't fault anything about the sound and they are so light and the frame well designed, maybe it's just the shape of my head but the frame makes only the barest contact with the top of my head so it doesn't feel as if you're wearing headphones after a while.
They come in a nice carry back and a case. Normally I'm a bit dismissive of these and don't use them but they are both nice, not cheap looking or tacky so will be used for transporting around. Really recommend these.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like another reviewer experienced, Amazon were out of stock of these headphones so I had to revert to John Lewis who had them available. As far as I can see the price at all retailers is very close - there are no significant discounts at the time of writing! I bought these Sennheiser Momentums for static rather than mobile use and they are used in conjunction with a Marantz hifi system.

A critical requirement was to minimise sound leakage outside the headphones to avoid annoying others, so, a closed back design was essential. These phones are pretty effective at sealing in the sound (so I'm told).

The first and most obvious thing about these headphones is the high quality of construction - they exude quality. The headband is leather covered as are the ear pads which use a particular type of Somerset Leather to provide optimum comfort. The headband can be adjusted and remain in position despite there not being a click stop mechanism - the pressure of the "cans" against your head can be adjusted to perfection. Rather than having the usual two wires the single entry (detachable) cable makes the headset easier to take on and off. The detachable lead means a worn lead can be replaced, and, if your usage is similar to mine you can replace the iPhone remote/microphone lead with the (supplied) ordinary (but equally high quality) cable. I find these factors combine to make the headphones very comfortable to wear for long periods, in fact, I enjoy them so much I almost don't want to take them off!

I have read what other reviewers have said about the sound. To me, the sound is very good and detailed but neutral - you get out what you put in without colouration. I don't find when used with my equipment there is any emphasis on the bass as some reviewers suggest. The sound is very distinct and spacious across the audio spectrum, and, because of the detailed output, I've heard aspects of my CDs/MP3s that I simply wasn't aware of before. The sound quality is such that listening is a pure pleasure, and, I don't suffer from any physical or aural fatigue with these Momentums.

The presentation of these premium headphones is consistent with what you'd expect - they come in a luxurious and stylish hard case. My only negative observation being that the case could be a bit bulky if you are using the headphones on the move, although, that is irrelevant in my mode of usage.

In summary, the Sennheiser Momentums represent high quality in terms of their presentation, construction, ergonomics and, above all, sound output. In my opinion, hard to fault, but easy to recommend.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wow. It is hard to describe just how wonderful these headphones are, certainly when comparing them to any other headphones costing under £300.00. I was in John Lewis in High Wycombe on a Friday afternoon, trying out 20 or 30 different headphones, and came across a pair of Sennheiser Momentum. I put on the Momentum 'phones, and listened to The Future Will Be Silent, a track by OMD from their 2013 album English Electric - The Future Will Be Silent. I was stunned by how amazing the sound was, in a different league to all the over headphones I had tried, including a few by Bose. Crystal clear treble and vocals, warm and vibrant bass lines. Listening to the momentum headphones, after trying out all the others, was like trying to look through a car windscreen covered with rain, and then using the wipers.
I've now listened to hundreds if not thousands of tracks on these headphones. Trust me, if you are going to demo these headphones, get the MP3 single of The Future is Silent and listen to that, because if that track doesn't persuade you about how good the 'phones are, I doubt that anything will (another very good track to test the calibre of headphones is Happy Up Here by Royksopp - Happy Up Here).
These headphones are not cheap at £170.00 to £200.00, but you are highly unlikely to be disappointed with your purchase.
Finally, I've very recently bought a pair of Vibe Brass Balls in-ear headphones. They were reviewed on The Gadget Show last month, and they came out comfortably on top in a comprehensive group test. They cost £99.00 from the Vibe website. I bought them because I recently upgraded my mobile telephone to an iphone 6 (which I review elsewhere), and I wanted a pair of very high quality in-ear 'phones to use when listening to music from my Deezer account on the iphone. The Brass Balls look very stylish, they are very comfortable in the ear, noise suppression is good, and the sound quality is superb. I had previously tried out several in-ear 'phones at my local Currys, including some by Bose, but the Brass Balls were by far the best, i.e. exactly as per The Gadget Show's strong recommendation.
ADDENDUM - apparently you can now buy Sennheiser Momentum headphones for about £130.00, which makes them even more of a fantastic bargain.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 August 2015
I suffer with scalp pain and noise sensitivity so finding a comfortable pair of headphones that blocked out background noise was a must. I've tried four or five different pairs from expensive noise cancelling ones to studio ones, all were either too heavy or didn't actually cancel any background noise. These are lightweight, super comfortable and block out as much noise as any of the expensive noise cancelling ones. The sound quality is wonderful, they're clear and crisp but with sufficient bass - not too much bass as seems to be the fashion these days. An absolutely fantastic value for money purchase, they look amazing too!
on 3 June 2015
They look great, are comfortable for on-ear headphones (but still will never be as good as over-ear), They sound great all round, sometimes highs can get a little painful, especially at higher volumes, but this rarely happens. Excellent mids and great bass, personally I would prefer a little more bass but it will be more than enough for most. Also allow them to burn in for at least 24 hours and they will sound so much better, when I first tried them I was considering returning them but after burn-in time they had improved a lot. Nice to see Sennheiser including 2 cables and a carrying case and bag. Unbeatable on-ears at £80!
on 16 December 2013
The Sennheiser Momentum are on-ear headphones, so not my ideal type of headphones. I like closed back and full ear coverage (more insulation, more comfort) better. Also, on ear headphones tend to be either too loose (I had to returned a Bowers & Wilkins P3 because of this) or too tight, squashing your ears against your skull. With these, Sennheiser seems to have nailed that balance. They're very light, adjustable, and the clamp is just enough even for an agitated ride on the tube. Plus they have a big and soft cushion, that helps keeping you comfortable even if you listen for more than 3 hours straight.

The sound is not perfect but it's pretty honest. I compared it to some of my studio headphones and they sound almost as flat as my best Audio Technica monitor headphones. Most hip headphones these days seem to be "bass" oriented and these are no exception. They are a bit skewed and they end up not sounding as loud as the AT, but only slightly.

Only have them for a while so I can't really tell if they will last long. But construction looks pretty solid and they have less parts then usual, as they aren't foldable and the adjusting mechanism is that simple retro slide. Also, more metal, less plastic, than most headphones in this price range, and that's always good. finally, they come with two cables: a regular cable and another set with micro and remote. The cable attaches to the L ear enclosure with a nice, solid, click. Cables usually break and it would be awesome if all headphones were built like this.

Finally, they look great. They have this retro look, but weight and comfort weren't compromised. They come in like 8 different colours. I usually avoid anything other than black, but this time I went "nuts", fell in love with the 3 different shades of green in the leather, fabric and enclosure.

Overall, maybe a bit too expensive for on-ear headphones, but probably the best in this price range.
on 19 August 2015
Bought these headphone for the discounted price of £59 and they are a bargain. I have had a couple of expensive headphones, the most expensive being 'Beats by Dr Dre, pros' which commonly sell for around £250. But these headphones are in my opinion, better. They definitely have better build quality. Mainly the connecting cable going from ear to ear, through the headband. Even if they were being sold for £169 RRP, these headphones would still be decent value for money.

The sound from these headphones is very clear. The bass is also clear without being muddy or overpowering. Something that beats fall down on. My listening device is an HTC, so sadly the remote doesn't work properly, but the play and pause button does work.

There are however a few problems I have discovered, one of them being comfort. To begin with you may find that these headphones do irritate your ears, but luckily that should pass after a couple of hours of use (That's what I found). One other problem, (I say problem but it really depends on what you want from a headphone) you may find travelling with these headphones a little inconvenient as they do not fold. But for me, that actually may not be a bad thing. I found that it was folding my 'beats' that caused the biggest of issues, as the constant folding caused the cable joining the headphones to wear, causing one of the speakers to turn off.

Overall I highly recommend these headphones, and if you do require a more compact headphone and you have a bit more money, then in my opinion you certainly won't go wrong buying the more expensive Momentum 2.0. I will happily stick to these though. :-)