Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion

on 12 March 2006
Loved it! I have been knitting since I was 5 (nearly 30 years) but could never crochet, being left handed neither of my Grans could get their heads round it being backwards, so when I heard this was coming out I was very pleased. I have both Debbie Stollers stitch and bitch books and this is very much in the same vein. Great history, personal stories, and best of all for me patient and well explained instructions. Also loads of very cool patterns - where else would you find a crochet cowboy hat? After very little time I have made a flower and I think mastered the basic stitches. Other patterns are skirt, halter top,i-pod cozies,shawl, scarves, afghans, toys, bags, accesories, cape, slippers, gloves, doormat and more! It was interesting coming to this 3rd book as someone who really needed the basic instructions this time rather than just the funky patterns - now I realise how good her writing is. Fantastic value, can't wait for her next one. P.S. it's still a challenge being a south paw but it's worth a go.
22 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2006
this is a super book. Neither of my grans can crochet and my mum claimed to know how but when it came to it she actually didn't have a clue. I've tried to learn from online tutorials and other books in the past but they were all useless so I was getting desperate. With this book I learned in less than a week. The instructions and diagrams are clear and the patterns are all nice things you might actually make. My only complaint is that all the patterns are for worsted weight yarn and all the patterns are for branded yarns that I can't find anywhere (the book is American). But that's a small gripe since you can convert them for yarn you like.
on 24 May 2007
I have always been a knitter rather than a crocheter and I bought this book originally because I had enjoyed Debbie Stoller's other books - but as this one was crochet, I only glanced at it and it sat on the shelf unread for a long time. Just recently, I found a crochet item that I really wanted to make and The Happy Hooker came down off the shelf at last!

When I read her knitting books, I already knew how to knit but nevertheless I very much enjoyed them - and still managed to learn a lot from her clear and amusing style of writing. So it was interesting to approach this book from the point of view of a beginner to the craft. I'm currently working through the book and not only am I actually learning how to crochet but I'm enjoying every minute of it! Like another reviewer, I've also looked at Crochet for Dummies, which is quite useful but dreary - Stoller's book makes learning a pleasure! I find her instructions and diagrams extremely clear and easy to follow and she seems to explain things that other publications don't.

As a UK reader, I like the fact that she has tables giving the alternate UK and US equivalents for hook sizes, yarn types and stitch names. I'm pencilling in the UK names of the stitches as I get to them. (The Dummies book, by contrast, just briefly mentions the fact that the UK stitch names are different but doesn't tell you what they are! What sort of use is that?)

The book is very witty and sparky, and attractively produced, so the reading is a pleasure in itself, besides the fun of learning a new craft. I've never persevered with crochet before but Debbie Stoller's combination of humour and clarity are carrying me through this time. I've not got as far as making any of the patterns yet but there are quite a few I'd like to try - and I'm an oldie!
on 5 June 2006
This book is amazing. I have tried to learn to crochet before using the "Crochet for dummies" book which made me assume i really was a dummy as i couldn't understand it! I spent many frustrating hours attempting to make things and getting nowhere. However, Debbie Stoller is a genius and in half an hour i had learnt all the different basic stitches as well as how to crochet in a circle. The book is funny as well as informative and has really detailed instructions and pictures. Obviously written by someone who can remember what it's like to have no idea how to crochet! Good stuff.
on 30 August 2006
The lady in the yarn store asked me as I bought some beautiful yarn and a crochet hook, "Do you have somebody to teach you to crochet?" I lied and said I did. I was frightened that she would refuse to sell me the yarn otherwise.

I speedily hopped up to the bookshop and before I knew it I was holding in my hands the "friend" who would teach me to crochet: Debbie Stoller's "The Happy Hooker". Later, with my yarn in my hands and the book propped open on the desk in front of me, I taught myself to crochet within the afternoon.

This book is a great tutor, and I look forward to many happy hours twirling that yarn and making beautiful garments and throws, all thanks to The Happy Hooker.
on 19 May 2007
I had wanted to learn to crochet for years but all the books I had ever looked at were just no good for beginners and I never got anywhere. I found this book on Amazon last October and bought it after reading the reviews on here. I sat down one evening with the book and learnt to crochet basic stitches within a couple of hours. I was a complete beginner who had never even seen a crochet hook before but the instructions and diagrams in this book are so clear and well explained that anyone with a bit of patience can learn. I think the key is that you really need to concentrate and persevere. I got a bit frustrated at first but kept going and eventually, it all began to make sense. I'm usually quite impatient and tend to skim through parts of any instructions but with this book I followed every single line and it paid off.

The book is well written and Debbie is entertaining and really keeps your interest. Some of the patterns are really stunning and even if you don't really like some of them, there is lots of scope to improvise and adapt them to something you would love to wear. So far, I have made a couple of scarves from the book, a hat and the fat-bottom bag but I am planning to make many, many more of the items. There are a few errors and typos but Debbie Stoller's website has clear corrections so if you check them out before starting any pattern, all is fine.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn to crochet - just keep reading and re-reading the basics and keep going and you will get there! I would also recommend it for those who can already crochet as it's a good reference manual for the more unusual stitches, and of course you can never have too many crochet petterns!
on 5 December 2006
Debbie Stoller has done a cracking job with this book; the projects are very cute, very cool, and you won't know which one you want to try first. The instructions are so clear, I had no problem picking it up despite being left handed, and a total beginner. Happy hooking!
on 1 September 2007
A good book that I have referred to many times since I bought it. As an experienced crocheter I thought the book might be "too basic" for my taste but I find the patterns interesting and wearable. I have made the short and simple shrug 3 times although I must admit that I have now adapted it to use thinner yarn as being an oldie I prefer a less chunky garment. The bunny slippers are worth buying the book for! Very cute.

Quite a few errata to confuse the unwary and inexperienced. I would have thought that a reprint would have corrected these mistakes by now after all it has been a best seller for a long time or at least an errata page or slip added.

Altogether a good book if you can navigate your way through it. No problem for me but I can see that some of the patterns would cause a bit of head scratching to a novice crocheter.
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2007
This is a good book. Stoeller assumes that you do not know a thing about crochet, and with the aid of clear diagrams and sassy instructions, shows you what to do. Within thirty minutes of playing with the hook, I actually found myself crocheting flowers. Then, in a day, I did the one skien scarf.

I appreciate the fact that Stoeller recognises both the British and American terms for the stitches used, this is very helpful. Stoeller also goes through the various types of crochet - from tunisian to filigree.

I will admit, the patterns are cute, but they tend to be unclear at times. You do need to use the errata. For instance, with the flower necklace (the first project) there are no instructions in terms of how to join the flowers together while crocheting.

Overall, a good book to have in your collection, especially if you can get it on sale. Money well spent.
on 8 June 2006
I have used to crochet and made a granny square that was absolutely vast for a double bed but never managed anything harder.

I decided to get back in crochet and tried a couple of books and various websites to learn how to do the basic row. Nothing worked! They omitted how to tell you how to do the basics in the first row and how to get going.

This book explains things extremely well and now I can do it! Dead easy to follow with a good sense of humour.

The patterns are lovely. I cant wait to start on my flower scrarf. Her writing is fun and a bit saucy. Well worth the money and I hope there are more crochet books from her soon.