4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort
I like the range of projects in this book. I think that anyone could look through this book and see something (or many things!) that they would love to make and wear. Many diferent designers are featured and this gives a new and zingy quality to each pattern. The photographs are great and for most things there is a reasonable range of sizes.

However, as a...
Published on 27 Sep 2006 by Sheena Mckinnon

3.0 out of 5 stars great ideas but too many mistakes in the patterns
Published on 8 Mar 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort, 27 Sep 2006
Sheena Mckinnon (Pudsey, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)

However, as a previous reviewer mentioned, there are errors in some of the instructions and charts. This is OK if you can go to the website and check for corrections before you start, or if you are a fairly experienced knitter and can spot and correct the errors yourself, but it does take away from the pleasure of using this book.

Having got this gripe out of the way, I still maintain that the book (and the patterns) are worth perservering with as the freshness and originality puts it way ahead of everything else out there at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of patterns!, 16 Jun 2005
Mrs. S. A. Pitt "Sarah Pitt" (Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
This, Debbie Stoller's second Stitch 'n Bitch book, follows on nicely from the first and is designed to appeal to the new generation of younger, cooler knitters (isn't that all of us?). It assumes you've got a basic knowledge of knitting and shows you some of the more complex stuff, eg how to adapt patterns to suit different yarns (or different body shapes!) and how to write your own patterns. It's got 50 new patterns ranging from baby gifts to fishnet tights, and whilst none of them look impossibly difficult, most have a new trick to teach you like a lace pattern or a cable. As this is an American book not all of the yarn is easily available in the UK - quite a few of the patterns specify Rowan wool which should be fairly easy to source, but most of those that aren't don't look too difficult to find substitutes for. I've made a couple of the scarves so far as gifts, and they've been very well recieved - I'm now half way through the "Baby's First Tattoo" cardie which has been very easy to follow and looks like another winner! Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars great ideas but too many mistakes in the patterns, 8 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
This book is full of great ideas for garments and accessories that you'd actually want to make. The one (fairly big) problem I've had with it is the enormous amount of mistakes in the patterns. They don't seem to have been tested or proof-read at all. I've tried three patterns now, and every one has had something wrong with it, ranging from smallish but annoying mistakes (extra sets of needles listed as being needed but not actually used in the pattern) to mistakes in the actual instructions. If you're an experienced knitter, you'll realise that something isn't right and be able to sort it out (and some, but not all, of the mistakes are corrected on the author's website - if you think to look there before you start knitting), but I don't think a beginner would stand a chance. Also, as the previous reviewer says, most of the yarns used are only available in the US. You can find suitable alternatives in the UK, but you'd think that in a book that's being published internationally they'd at least bother to add a note to each pattern saying whether a yarn is equaivalent to, for example, double knitting or chunky, as this isn't always clear. Altogether, I found this book very imaginative but rather amateurish and lazily put together.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation?, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
I am a keen knitter, having started as a small child in 1970s darkest Sussex, where there wasn't much else to do ;-) Suffice to say I have quite a bit of experience in knitting. I was recently given this book as a present. There are some lovely designs in this book and some less lovely, but the crucial thing for me that can spoil this book as a UK-based knitter is the US terminology. It's not just the needle sizes; it's the differing abbreviations and yarn weights/types etc, and I do find this gets in the way sometimes. As other reviewers have stated, if the author had at least given a generic yarn type throughout for the US yarns so that we could attempt to substitute them, it would have made such a difference. Some patterns do benefit from a better description of yarn type than others - again, as other reviewers have said, this suggests sloppy editing in that the book lacks consistency in this regard. I thought it was just me when I read through a pattern several times very carefully and still couldn't understand it. Now I realise that it was probably just one of the mistakes that have been identified by other reviewers. Another minor point is that several patterns use circular needles, which I personally detest, but of course other knitters may not. In summary, if as a UK knitter you can get past the semantic obstacles, there are some great patterns, but do watch out for errors and be careful/lucky when choosing your yarn!

5.0 out of 5 stars FAb, 14 Oct 2005
P. Cooper "rytricia" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
I found this book really great, though not for the beginner knitter. There are some really interesting, fun patterns which are a lot more detailed and complex than her first book. I have had no trouble getting the yarn, making good use of the internet; the only problem with this being that the shades sometimes are a little of depending on browser settings. I especially like the bit of the book that tells you how to adapt patterns to fit any yarn. Great news for those of us with wool allergies. Overall, I would highly recommend this book to any more experienced knitters

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative & colourful, 26 Mar 2008
K. Roycroft "LadyK" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
I've had this book for a while now and I love to flick through it for inspiration. The pictures and projects are so colourful and fun that it makes me want to start creating. But now that I think about it I've made only a few things using the patterns in this book. The patterns are very diverse and there is everything from sweaters to mittens, hats, home wares and toys. But the part I find to be most helpful is the text at the beginning. There are some really helpful guides on how to work out the calculations for substituting a different weight yarn, altering sizes, and changing a pattern to suit your personal tastes. This is priceless information and really helps you to go about creating a one of a kind personalised garment. The book is written in a fun and friendly style, and is a classic guide for new knitters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
I found the original stich n bitch book excellent for progressing my knitting skills. This is really just a re-cap of that with some new patterns. There's no further progression and You'd probably be better off just buying a pattern book. Also, when I did one of the patterns, it had an abbreviation in it that wasn't explained anywhere else in the book and which I had to look up on the internet. The pattern turned out well though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Modern Patterns, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Kindle Edition)
The book's title is already indicative that it tries to completely change the public perception that knitting is for grannies. As we know now (this book was published in 2004 - now 10 years ago) - it worked. Or at least I think it did. Knitting is hip again.

My favourite part of the book was the first section where it explains the sizing and how to convert different yarns - basically an idiots guide and the second step once you know the basics of knitting. I also liked the fresh patterns.

I would not recommend the book for a complete beginner. Though the basics are explained at the end, I think it would be good to get a 'Complete Beginners' book first. But this book is ideal if you have trouble understanding changing the size, the yarn, the style. Also, if you want fresh patterns which are still easy - I did not knit all of them of course, but I think they all don't look to difficult. I think you will also enjoy the little bit of gossip from 'real knitters' dotted around the book.

As this is an US publication, the yarn brands / yarn stores will be all US based, and there were quite a few I didn't know and struggled to convert to UK brands. I suppose you can put your yarn converting skills learned in Part 1 to good use straight away.

2.0 out of 5 stars middle rate knitting book, 1 Jun 2011
Mrs. T. Begum (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
unfortunately I didnt enjoy stitch and bitch nation as much i thought i would. personally I found the a lot of the patterns to be quite garish and simply unstylish. furthermore the vocabulary used to instruct knitting was down right confusing. the instructions were drawn which i have always hated. so i suppose i cant wait to pass on this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great!, 18 Aug 2005
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
I bought the book because some friends in America mentioned it. Some of the yarns are not available to us in the UK and I found out that the author solicits ideas from others to make her book. Not a very smart dame if you ask me.
It went through some interesting projects, but overall I would not recommend it.

Stitch 'n Bitch Nation