4.0 out of 5 stars WHO CAN SEE THE LIES?,

Published 21 months ago by Antenna

4.0 out of 5 stars WHO CAN SEE THE LIES?,, 3 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Emily (Rooney Mara) is clinically depressed. She has been seeing a psychologist (Catherine Zeta-Jones). Her white collar criminal husband (Channing Tatum) is getting out of jail, which leads to more depression. Having failed a suicide attempt, Emily is placed on medication and does the unthinkable. At this point the film goes into an odd mystery/thriller, one where everyone knows who done it. Just when you think you have it figured out, it twists, having more twists than Taylor Swift having break-up songs. Jude Law plays Dr. Jonathan Banks, a man caught in the middle of all of this.

I didn't know what to expect going into this feature. It is best not to read the reviews as it is impossible to write anything without giving away too much of the plot. If you like mystery thrillers with twists and clues that hurt your head like a Hitchcock masterpiece, this one will fit the bill. If you know anyone who takes meds for depression, then you can enjoy the film on a different level.

Parental Guide: F-bombs, sex, very brief nudity (Rooney Mara)

5.0 out of 5 stars The new 'malice', 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Side Effects [DVD] (DVD)
Very clever, I didnt see where this was going until we got there, then it went further!
I wanted to see Channing, and I like Jude Law.
The beginning, showing her depression etc I thought was very well done. Its not all doom and gloom.
I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed 'Malice' (Nicole Kidman/Alec Baldwin 90's) then you would probably like this. If you havent seen it, check it out, its in the same vein, again very clever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perils of Pill Popping, 1 April 2013
Antenna (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Side Effects [DVD] (DVD)
A beautiful young woman remains clinically depressed even after her husband is released from jail for insider training. A failed suicide attempt brings her to the attention of a caring but ambitious psychiatrist (Jude Law) and it seems we are set for an exposé of the US drug industry, by turns reducing everyone to casual pill popping, often ruining the lives of vulnerable patients whose sickness is relieved only at the price of grim side effects, and corrupting medical professionals in the process. In short, this starts off very much in the same vein as the director Soderbergh's crusading Erin Brockovich with its attack on corporate environmental polluters.

Halfway through, the film takes a sharp turn to become a complicated and fast-moving thriller of the type which causes you to risk missing a point if you spend too much time trying to work out the previous clue. It was entertaining at the time but left me feeling dissatisfied with too many somewhat implausible plot twists.

This is well-acted, skilfully filmed, is hard to review without giving away too much of the plot but would have been much more powerful if it had kept to the moral dilemmas of modern psychiatric medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cast and a great movie, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Side Effects [DVD] (DVD)
I don't want to give away anything about the plot as it is full of twists and turns and kept me guessing right until the end. I will say that Rooney Mara and Jude Law work beautifully together as patient and psychiatrist. This is the best performance I have ever seen from Jude Law. I hardly recognised Rooney Mara only ever having seen her play Lisbeth Salander. Here she plays a much more feminine and vulnerable character, Emily who is suffering from terrible depression and has had to cope with her husband (Channing Tatum) being sent to prison for insider-dealing. Law's character, Dr Banks, meets her after a suicide attempt and tries to get her back on track. Catherine Zeta Jones is perfect as sexy but stern fellow psychiatrist, Dr Siebert. An intelligent story based on the lawsuits against big drug companies we often read about. Side Effects is one of the best thrillers I have seen in years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A depressing, yet enjoyable ride, 31 Mar 2013
Albatross "Never argue with idiots" (Suburbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Side Effects [DVD] (DVD)
Sometimes there are films where you don't know much about before you watch them. And, in this case, it's a good thing. I won't dwell too much on the plot as it's probably something you don't want/need to know about. The best part of the film is the fact that (hopefully) you won't know what's coming next.

I had to admit that I didn't like the film for the first half. I found it too depressing. It starts out with a woman who's down on her luck, but is hanging on to wait for her husband to be released from prison after being convicted of insider trading. She's depressed, naturally. And, for the purpose of the film, plays it convincingly, i.e. she makes anyone watching it feel pretty depressed, too.

In an attempt to treat this depression, she sees a psychiatrist (Jude Law) who prescribes her various prescription drugs to help her. However, there are some - unfortunate - side effects to this course of action.

And that's all I'll say about the plot. What you do need to know is that the film's tone sort of changes from `generally depressing' to a much sharper thriller with plenty of plot twists to keep you entertained.

Jude Law puts in an excellent performance (and I'm not normally a fan) and plays his part perfectly for what's required.

If you choose to watch this, just make sure you're in the right frame of mind before you do. If you're expecting anything vaguely light-hearted and frothy then don't watch this (right now). Be prepared for something much darker and bleaker and you'll definitely enjoy the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 10 Mar 2014
Definitely one to watch! Don't be fooled into thinking this is just another slow court room drama by the first 30 minutes of the film, stick with it you will be on the edge of your seat by the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisty Financial/Medical Thriller, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Side Effects [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Side Effects is a financial-medical thriller come 'why-dunnit' of the highest order. Normally when I watch thrillers I've worked it out by half an hour in. I love films when I think I have the plot worked out, and then it turns out I didn't. So I adored this film. It's complex and twisty, and very on the pulse. It is glorious neo-noir, complete with the science-fiction element, and you'll end up questioning your own subjectivity. Don't go looking for an MC to root for in this, I found that those I thought were the protaganists were the antagonists and vice-versa. And that's why the film is brilliant, you think you've seen something, when you haven't. My best advice is to just sit back, and let Soderberg remind you are watching a film.

It has some great performances - and a few shocks (I rarely jump in my cinema sea.] And Channing Tatum continues to impress [I think this one outshines his 'Saints' performance.] I'm growing more and more convinced that he is a better actor of 'ambigious' roles, then when playing the romantic/action hero trope. Rooney Mara is brilliantly terrifying, and Catherine Zeta Zone is just as chilling.

My only criticism is that I think the middle could have been tightened, but I would only deduct half a star on an otherwise superb film.

I'm officially a convert, and will go and look at Soderberg's backlist. If you looking for a thriller with guns and explosions, then best look elsewhere. But if you want a clever, character-driven thriller, sit back and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, 20 Sep 2014
I watched it due to the reference of It being similar the the 90's flick malice, and in a way it was, the same sort of back ground music, trying to lead you into this sense of calm, to try and mislead you with the twist....unfortunately I guessed from start to finish how the story would go, it was extremely obvious, and I must say it was more so because of the references to Malice in the reviews. the whole film was a knock off re-make of Malice, they've changed the characters around a bit to try a throw you about who's guilty ect, but personally where I loved Malice, this seemed the cheaper, less exciting version of a re-write. I don't want to put it down too much though because those that love a suspense thriller, and are not usually into or very good at psychoanalyzing peoples behaviours would probably love it. For me it was ok, it was worth a watch, but I wouldn't watch it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Side Effects [DVD] (DVD)
I found this film to be really boring, I persevered with it because of the good reviews it's received, but for me it was the usual and formulaic stuff America seems to be churning out all the time now. It certainly wasn't a psychological thriller, it's a crime story that tries to be clever but is incredibly predictable.
I gave it 2 stars, one because at last they had a Brit in a film who wasn't either incompetent or the criminal and the other for Jude Law.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well acted tense drama., 12 Nov 2013
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Side Effects [DVD] (DVD)
Jude Law and Rooney Mara play Doctor and Patient in this tense drama about side effects cause by certain anti-depressant drugs and the consequences of such effects. Rooney Mara's character has just welcomed her partner home from prison after his incarceration after serving a term after insider trading and her life falls apart after he returns home. The subsequent effect on Jude Law's practice appears to be devastating but when he contacts her former Psychiatrist ' played by Catherine Zeta-Jones and delves more deeply he's disturbed by what he discovers. An excellent film with plenty of twists with a fascinating conclusion.

Side Effects
Side Effects by Steven Soderbergh