4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYABLE 70s GRINDHOUSE STYLE HELLRIDE.
REVIEWED VERSION: 2002 Lionsgate US Blu-Ray

Director: Rob Zombie

Cast: Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Chad Bannon, William Bassett, Karen Black, Erin Daniels, Joe Dobbs III, Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jostyn, Chris Hardwick

SYNOPSIS

Published 3 months ago by Caligula II.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Clear Rip Off Of So Many Better Movies
When I watched House of 1000 corpses, I had already seen Rob Zombies other movies (except devils rejects) so I figured this would be at least ok because I liked his other movies, but I have to say this was his worst oneand I was very disappointed. Even Halloween 2 is better than this (which I liked more than most people did).
It does kind of become frustrating after...
Published 1 month ago by Jack Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYABLE 70s GRINDHOUSE STYLE HELLRIDE., 14 Nov. 2014
REVIEWED VERSION: 2002 Lionsgate US Blu-Ray

Director: Rob Zombie

SYNOPSIS

Two couples are driving through backwoods America in search of some offbeat roadside attractions, such as the local legend known as Dr. Satan.
They pick up a hitchhiker named Baby (Sheri Moon Zombie), but when their tire blows out they end up stranded. Luckily Baby's half-brother has a towtruck and they are taken to Baby's house where they get to meet a Texas Chainsaw-like family...

THE PROS & CONS

HOUSE OF A 1000 CORPSES is easily Rob Zombie's best film. I did not care for the sequel THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, though.
1000 CORPSES reminded me a bit of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE without being a carbon copy of that movie. It's like a 70s grindhouse movie, and a surprisingly good one.
The movie was cut by the MPAA for the R rating, the uncut version is not available. According to imdb.com 8 scenes needed trimming. There still is plenty of blood, guts and gore to go around, make no mistake, HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES is a quite violent film, but not to the extreme.
The acting is good! Top performances by veteran actors Bill Mosely, Karen Black and Sid Haig. I really don't like clowns, but Sid Haig made a great one! Sherri Moon Zombie is a terrible actress, but she did quite well as the psycho bi***. The teens played by Chris Hardwick, Rainn Wilson, Erin Daniels and Jennifer Jostyn merely served as canon fodder and delivered ok performances within the limitations of their roles.
Directing by Rob Zombie takes some getting used to. There are some really quick cuts, then slow motion (in some cases very effective), weird lighting. Think NATURAL BORN KILLERS. It is very effective though, it sure adds to the film's creepiness and morbid atmosphere. Zombie has a lot of bizzare ideas, all well executed and refreshingly different. The film's psycho family is not just stolen from THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, but actually well thought out and good characters of their own.
HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES is a very good hellride and an ideal Halloween night movie and highly recommended for horror fans.

BLU-RAY DETAILS

Feature running time: 88:57 mins. (MPAA cuts)
Rating: R (MPAA) / 18 (BBFC)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 / 16:9
Audio: English DTS-HD 6.1, English 5.1 EX
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Extras: Audio Commentary, Making of (4:15), Behind the Scenes (2:35), Tiny F***** a Stump Featurette (3:08), Casting Featurette (2:07), Rehearsals Featurettes: Bill Moseley & Jennifer Jostyn (3:44), Rainn Wilson & Chris Hardwick & Erin Daniels (2:15), Chris Hardwick & Erin Daniels (0:56), Interviews: Bill Moseley (4:30), Sid Haig (5:43), Sheri Moon (1:33), Wayne Toth (3:33)
Region: A (locked)

Picture quality: 5/5
Audio quality: 4/5
Extras: 3/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut from Zombie., 27 July 2014
The premise for House of a Thousand Corpses could have been done by anyone that could hold a camera up. But thank god we got someone who is in love with the horror genre. And a decade ago who would have thought that would be White Zombie front man Rob Zombie who for a time ditched the stage for the camera lens.

The film borrows from some of the great grindhouse epics of the 70s, most notably from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre but it never feels lacking or boring, this movie is clearly its own. The visual flashbacks and ads will go over peoples heads who are not into 70s horror, it's satire baby and it is done extremely well. There is one scene in particular which I would be happy to put amongst some of the most awe inspiring scenes in movie history. The 20 second silence as the camera withdraws to a birds eye view of one of the family about to shoot a cop in the head, we wait and wait and wait and then BANG! What a scene. And when you see pieces of magic like this it's hard not to fall in love with what Zombie is trying to achieve.

Zombie loves film and that is clear to see. And we have a very interesting line up of characters. Karen Black, Sid Haig to name a few.

The level of gore isn't as extreme as you may read elsewhere. It is here and this film certainly isn't for kids, but for the first half of the film there is next to no violence. Like a vintage Tarantino with sharp dialogue the film rolls along so well. Watch out for the delicious doll Sheri Moon, who lights up every scene she is in. She would later go on to be Zombie's wife. Horror fans will be hard pressed not to like Rob Zombie's first venture into movieland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality movie, 4 Feb. 2014
Chainsaw massacre style theme without the chainsaw but with the legend of Dr Satan a local myth as a sideline, one of many well becomes the business but won't spoil the movie. Brilliant film and don't understand people giving this a poor rating, horror film with twists and turns a plenty.

4.0 out of 5 stars House of 1000 corpses, Love it, 24 Feb. 2004
A horror masterpiece by one of metals biggest icons. A film very much in the vien of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre(even mentioning the famous Ed Gein) but taken to a higher level. Based around a fictional tale about Dr satan, a medical surgeon who takes a fancy to experimenting on his patient in bizarre ways. This leads a group of youngsters to investigate the tale to cure their boredom on long drive. This leads to a highly entertaining gore fest, with great over the top characters, and some cameos from some of horrors greats such as Karen Black.(Rob Zombie does not appear in this movie, only directs!)
A film for horror fans who just expect to be entertained, it doesnt take its self seriously and has re educated us on how to make horror movies, taking us away from the 90's formula of horror!
Great movie, cant wait for house of 2000 corpses! Watch it!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Clear Rip Off Of So Many Better Movies, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: House Of 1000 Corpses [DVD] (DVD)
It does kind of become frustrating after a while because it just reminds you of so many better movies which, quite frankly, you'd rather be watching. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is the movie it rips off more than any, whether it's the wearing of a dead characters skin, or the camera zooming in on a female victims eye while being tortured, or even as simple as the picking up of the hitchhiker.
On the other hand, it did have a good opening and I liked some of the characters e.g. captain spaulding, but after starting off good it continues to get worse and worse as the movie goes on, until I found my self constantly clicking the info button on my remote to see how long was left, hoping it would end.
Additionally, it was poorly shot, and directed. The acting was ok, and I wanted to mention the character of baby, played by Sheri Moon, (who I like) because she wasn't very good and her character was annoying. I kinda wanted her to die so I didn't have to listen to that annoying laugh any longer.
In conclusion, I can't recommend this movie to anyone, because any true horror fan will have seen the movies it rips off and will likely feel they've wasted time watching it. I would like to take this opportunity though, to recommend that those who haven't seen Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, give it a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got me a live one...., 5 Dec. 2013
Jerry, Bill, Mary, and Denise are two couples out on the road in hopes of writing a book on offbeat attractions.

When the four meet Captain Spaulding, they learn of the legend of Dr. Satan. When they take off in search of finding the tree that Dr. Satan was hung from, they pick up hitchhiker Baby.

When their car breaks down, Baby invites them into her house. This is where they meet the Firefly family, a murderous clan of bizarre people.

As the family attacks the unsuspecting couples, Jerry and his friends try to survive the titular place and it's secrets....

This film has got tot be the prime example of a love it or hate it movie. I can truly understand why so many people dislike this film, it is all over the place, and it's very nasty too.

Lucky for me, i'm in the other camp, and i found this movie to be a wonderful homage to splatter exploitation movies of the late seventies and early eighties.

It's as if Zombie has taken the list of the video nasties that were banned ere in the UK, and melded them together to make some vicious love-child of the slasher genre.

It's gruesome for sure, and if your not sold within the first ten minutes, you'll stay that way.

The performances are maniacally over the top, but work for this, and Zombies grimy style of filming really makes a difference to the overall effect.

If you like exploitation splatter movies, this is for you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome movie is a total watch, 25 July 2013
One of Rob zombies finest films, not only is it bloody but has some funny moments though out the film. Rob zombie to me is the master of blood and gore. From start to finish is just blood and screams. Not a scary film as such but if you like blood and gore it's a must watch :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, different quirky horror!, 19 April 2011
I have only seen "Halloween" remake by Rob Zombie and was totally unimpressed with that so I was a little wary of watching this, although I did want to see this before "Devil's Rejects" as its the sequel.

I must admit, I did really enjoy Sid Haig's performance as Captain Spauling, and I think he's one of the most original characters to emerge in horror in a while, I thought superb! The overall atmosphere of the film reminded me a bit of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" very odd and disturbing, something missed from newer horrors. The storyline was predictable and nothing else stand-out in terms of acting, but a very watchable and enjoyable horror.

I think this is a must-see for something different and quirky in the horror genre, particularly for Captain Spauling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum Bubblegum. I LOVED this film., 23 Nov. 2006
Pallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Each to his(/her) own. There are a lot of comparisons between this film and the sequel, Devil's Rejects. For many, Devil's Rejects is the superior film. Here is my brief summary:

Devil's Rejects is a schizophrenic, curdled mix of Bonnie & Clyde and Naked Gun which does not work for me. The 'humour' and cop-chase aspects totally diffuse any suspenseful horror. I don't know what kind of film this is trying to be.

House of 1,000 Corpses is an accomplished work of classic horror. It looks good. The acting and characterisation is excellent. The journey, or 'ride'(!) through the story is an interesting one. Humour is subtle and amusing. The horror action is convincing and doesn't let-up. Personally, I feel the plot develops perfectly; this IS a horror gorefest -not The 39 Steps! The cinematography features short clips occasionally (arbitrarily?) interspersed between scenes which I really like; it is reminiscent of 70's techniques like split-screen etc. which is the era in which this type of film was borne.

I wish I'd watched it twice now (I returned the rental copy).

I DO recommend this if you like a traditional horror gorefest which makes you go >eek!< .

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag really... mainly, of different body parts, 13 Feb. 2011
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an odd film really that I had high hopes for. I saw Rob Zombies sequel to this, called the 'The Devils Rejects' and loved it - I was really blown away by it, so when I found out about this, essentially what is part 1, I had to see it. Sadly it doesn't compete on any level... other than the fact it has Sheri Moon in it. Sheri Moon = Hubba Hubba.

This film was all over the place - not in the way the story unfolded but in the way the film was made. At times it felt very well done, at other times it felt amatuerish and cheap. At times the sets and effects looked great and felt like a lot of money has been spent on them, and then at times some of the old-school film effects looked terrible.

The film was not anywhere near as good as The Devils Rejects, which you really must see. And where as that felt more like Tarantino's Natural Born Killers, this did feel very B-movie horror... but then I guess it's meant to.

Fans of the genre should enjoy it, and it's worth a watch if you've seen and enjoyed the sequel. But If you haven't this is probably the one occasion I'd advise you to watch the films back to front, because if you don't enjoy this it might put you off what is a really great piece of cinema: The Devil's Rejects [Blu-ray] [2005]Sadly though, 'House of 1000 Corpses' can't compete.

One thing I will say though, is that this is probably the best DVD I've ever seen quality-wise. Upscaled on my BluRay player, it looked amazing... better, sharper and crisper than any other DVD I've seen and better even, than some of my BluRays. 4 stars in places, but 3 stars overall from me I think.

House of 1000 Corpses